k1000 owners club
Nov 13, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #991 of 1,660

Quote:
I'm building a fully balanced b22 with 2 s22 solely for my k1000. Will post my impression once they're done :)

I heard the K1000 on Naamanf's balanced B22, and it was the best I've heard the K1000.  That sound lead me to buy the K1000 for myself.  I was never able to replicate that experience when I owned the K1000 when using any of my amps.

Nov 13, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #992 of 1,660
My K1000 is now restored from a Jack-only-plug (soldered directly to the chord and partly wrong?) to the original 4 pin xlr.
Matching xlr-to-jack and xlr-to-blank wires are also there.

So now I can finally go and try them on the Red Wine,and on the B-speaker outlet of my vintage Akai set.

And, last but not least... I ordered a tube amp from Dion Audio. It is one of the two I reviewed with Blackmore. We reviewed a pre-production model and a first production run. The latter is now being customized for me - it gets a 4 pins xlr on the back, should be ideal for the newly restored K1000. Impendance can be switched between 40, 120 and 300 Ohm - covers pretty much all the headphone impedances I own (except for the Stax-es that is :) and again 120 Ohm should be ideal for the K1000. Since we tested with 30Ohm, I am also curious about the impendance change from 30 to 40 Ohm. If it doesn't work out it will have to change back. 
The amp uses ECC99 and ECC82 tubes. The ECC99 are also in use in the Stax SRM600 and the ECC82 are NOS Tesla. Blackmore ensured me there are numerous options for tube rolling if I wanted to. Not right now, but I will try it in the future! (Oh boy, I realized I finally have something to ask for X-mas !-)

Nov 30, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #993 of 1,660
Quote:
aRRR said:

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight
Both my phones came with the same extension cable as described above: XLR 4-Pin to bare wire.

AFAIK, none of the K-1000s were originally delivered with a 1/4" phone plug, as they were designed to be driven from speaker terminals.

Are you sure?
confused.gif

The previous owner told me he bought it new and that that cable was included and a friend of his made that other 4XLR to banana's cable for him. To me it doesnt make sense to reterminate the bare wires to a 1/4" adapter and to make a whole new cable with bananas.

In the end it doesnt matter since I will probably get an aftermarket cable in the future.

They still sound pretty damn good unamped, Im amazed. A bit fatiguing though.

More than a year later but I finally got my K1000 hardwired, very pleased with the results.

Jan 21, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #995 of 1,660
Dear Tranhieu,
   What is the gain setting of your beta 22, is it 4 boards for balanced input and output?
   I recently received my beta22 and the gain setting of  5x2 will that be enough to drive the AKG K1000?
   I have contacted a website in Germany and they offered an AKG SN 2522, is it a bass light  or bass heavy
version?  I was told that if the SN is below 4000 it should be bass heavy.  However according to Axel of
that website he said that there were only USA version (more bass) and European version (less bass) and
they did go by serial number.  However, the resistance is different :120 ohm for bass heavy and 30( or 60? he was
not sure about this) ohms so I am confused right now.  However he said that his AKG K1000 has no problem with
bass (I believed him because he is an engineer that makes the AKG K1000 amplifier)

Jan 24, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #996 of 1,660
Dear kiertijai
The one I built is a 4 board version with 2 s22 for power. I only set the gain at 2x yet it is loud enough for me at maximum already. 5x would be a bit of a waste since you might not be able to use the whole range of your pot (unless you wanna use the B22 for speaker powering in the long run).
My pair's serial is 2505, the bass hits just like from a speaker :wink:
I'm not really sure about the impedance thing. Honestly if you hadnt mentioned it I would never know there are different versions of KK with different impedance rating out there. Since I already lost the box and documents inside I cannot confirm my pair's impedance. Measuring them with dmm gives around 120ohm.
I have not heard any >4000s KK so I'm not sure about this bass diversion, but I am positive that among all the AKG I've heard to date (501 601 702) these KK deliver the best bass quantity/quality. 

Jan 26, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #997 of 1,660

Quote:

[size=medium]

Quote:
hmm
let's see
1mW for 74db
that is...
2mW for 77
4mW for 80
8mW for 83
16mW for 86
32mW for 89
64mW for 92
128 for 95
256 for 98
512 for 101
1W for 104

that is already loud.
If we consider that we need at least twice as much to get that 1W clear, could we not settle for 5 watts?

That sounds about right if we know that impedance of the K1000 doesn't vary across the frequency spectrum. Someone should test it out.
[/size]

I don't think I saved the measurements anywhere, but IIRC it varies from roughly 120 to 145 ohms, increasing with frequency, plus the big impedance spike around 4-5KHz that puts it up around 220 ohms or so due to the notch filter. That's just from memory, so don't quote me on it. :)

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #998 of 1,660
Today I've just entered this club. :)

Here are some pictures from my brand new K1K.

It has a really great soundstage, i've never heard something like this.
basshead.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

But a little deeper bass wouldn't be bad. For electric & pop music  my hd650 is better, but for acustic music it's just simply perfect.

Now, I use it with a Pioneer A-7 (a big stereo amp from the 80's). I didn't find too much info abut it, just that: "75watts x2 8 ohm".
I guess it's not the proper amp for the headphone,  ...or?

(Sry for my English, i don't write too much in [size=11pt]this language[/size].)

Jan 30, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #1,000 of 1,660
How is it possible? :eek: Looks like that was manufactured yesterday.

And your pictures are simply stunning. Thanks for sharing!

Jan 30, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #1,001 of 1,660
Thanks. :)

I'm the first owner.  I found it in a little hi-fi shop (in Central Europe), earlier there were two in the shop. Some years ago the other one was sold, but the owner of the shop couldn't sell this one. He didn’t put it out, it was in the back of the shop, maybe he didn’t really want to sell this one.

The most interesting was that, he had NOS AKG K401 and Sennheiser HD1000 Charleston.

The shop's main profile is speaker systems and amps and it has a not up to date ~ 10 years old page, without a store section. Maybe that was my luck.
smile.gif

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #1,002 of 1,660
Guys, I was just wondering (and I'm sorry if this is a stupid question), what is the "life expectancy" of one of those? I have a low serial n. K1000 and sometimes I find myself concerned about it since it's no longer in production. How many years of regular use should I expect from one of these? I really have no idea!

Jan 31, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #1,003 of 1,660

Quote:
Thanks. :)

I'm the first owner.  I found it in a little hi-fi shop (in Central Europe), earlier there were two in the shop. Some years ago the other one was sold, but the owner of the shop couldn't sell this one. He didn’t put it out, it was in the back of the shop, maybe he didn’t really want to sell this one.

The most interesting was that, he had NOS AKG K401 and Sennheiser HD1000 Charleston.

The shop's main profile is speaker systems and amps and it has a not up to date ~ 10 years old page, without a store section. Maybe that was my luck.
smile.gif

I will board the 1st flight to your country this weekend if you hadnt bought them yet...
How much were them btw? I notice some wrinkles on the ear pads, looks like someone has put them on for a listen before?

Jan 31, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #1,004 of 1,660
Yes, I also would like to know what is the SQ of the Sennheiser HD1000?  If it does match its look I will be more than
willing to pay as much as a new HD800.  Has anybody bought it yet?   I will try to beat Tranhieu for the first flight.

Jan 31, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #1,005 of 1,660
The k401 was $250, the Senn was nearly $500.
I'm thinking of buying them, but from the price of the k401 I can buy a pair of new k601. (Don't know which sounds better.)
The Senn is really rare, it's a 50th anniversary headphone, but is a found here, in head-fi. It has HD4xx drivers, and the hd580/hd600 sounds better.

tranhieu:  Or were you asking the price of the K1k?
I tried them out in the shop before i bought them, but i don't know, why it has wrinkles.  (It still smell new
smile.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back