K-pop, J-pop suggestions!
Jun 6, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #541 of 3,798
Haven't watched. So can't really comment. Is this the same show that spawned IOI and Somi?
Yep thats the one.

Jun 6, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #545 of 3,798
I wish I can get the whole video of the performance, but I don't know why Japanese videos gets cut off like this.

Not sure, but I suspect it's because they want you to buy the DL sometimes.

Another oldie from 2012. Watch volume on this. Video plays ok in spite of broken cover image.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #549 of 3,798
2nd gen groups still strong :)

Girl's Day Oh My God produced by Sojin, she's wearing the orange shorts.

Girl's Day showing off their acoustic skills, Mina with the power vocals.

Jun 7, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #550 of 3,798

Compare the video above, and the one below. Look how saturated in color Korean music videos are how Japanese videos are subdued. Is that telling of general personality differences between the two cultures? I understand there are some overlap in taste of ballads. I think this was due to a lot of Korean ballads ripping off Japanese ones back in the 90's.

Another differences between the music vidoes the contrast. Japanese videos have low contrast. The dynamic range is narrower of the picture.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #555 of 3,798
Compare the video above, and the one below. Look how saturated in color Korean music videos are how Japanese videos are subdued. Is that telling of general personality differences between the two cultures? I understand there are some overlap in taste of ballads. I think this was due to a lot of Korean ballads ripping off Japanese ones back in the 90's.

Another differences between the music vidoes the contrast. Japanese videos have low contrast. The dynamic range is narrower of the picture.

I'm not sure but I think that style of music video was popularized initially by JYP, he loves the super cutesy style and it translates in to everything else including the music videos. I think he copied American style music videos with similarly exaggerated color saturation.

In contrast, YG loves the dark theme, as represented by Black Pink.

Theres a saying, that many people are quoted to have said.

“Good artists copy, great artists steal.”

Steve Jobs said this once but I think the best example of this is the chifi gear in the last decade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back