JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60
Apr 6, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #1,576 of 1,936
I guess the reason of my getting those pencils was somewhat absurd: I wanted pencil that would write dark enough to replace black gel ink/ballpen. Which is (A) a tall order, (B) probably dependent on other factors like paper, and (C) better achieved via a good dark lead in a mechanical pencil.

And my bid at staying on topic: Now after 80-90 hours of FM radio burn-in (I didn't keep tabs), I'm liking the FXD60 a lot more than I like my FXT90. It's appealing cause it sounds simpler. I've seen a blogger suggest that simply piling two drivers together like JVC did, only separating them by their frequency response and sans-crossover, may have made a few details louder than they're meant to be. Now that I own the 60, I'm inclined to say that by comparison, I agree with that assessment of the FXT90. I'm aware of all the technical superiorities, bhe 60 just sounds nicer to me in a "this is how it's meant to be" way. For my intents and purposes it feels like the $100-class product I've always wanted.

I'm tired of always standing on my toes - both financially and figuratively - to reach for hi-end equipment. The word flagship is kind of off-putting to me now. And it's only tiring or off-putting, I realize, because my personal truth doesn't always run with the manufacturers' sense of hierarchy. This is what my 2013 has been about. It's nice to see people excited about their acquisition, hungry to hear more, but I really need to answer my own need first, instead of "I'm gonna check out what the buzz is about just cause he said so."

Off-topic: After the aforementioned realization about mechanical pencils, I spent a whole afternoon nursing a rotring.com shopping cart with a 600 in it. Then I kinda realized that impulse, that yearning for the 600 was me sucking up someone else's palpable excitement like a psychic sponge. The real me? I paid 30 cents US for the cheapest Paper Mate pencil and I thought it wrote amazeballs, buttery smooth with 4B lead on 90gsm Clairefontaine paper. I will get to the 600 someday, but only when it's because I truly want to, and not because I'm a psychic sponge.
beerchug.gif

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #1,577 of 1,936
Hi, my 1st post here after going thru all 106 pages and my mind is pretty set on the FXD80. From where I am, there's only the FRD80 for audition and would really like to know if they are the same except for the inline mic control. If that's the case, will the inline mic have any impact on the SQ? Any thoughts in regards to this would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #1,579 of 1,936
Quote:
I'm tired of always standing on my toes - both financially and figuratively - to reach for hi-end equipment. The word flagship is kind of off-putting to me now. And it's only tiring or off-putting, I realize, because my personal truth doesn't always run with the manufacturers' sense of hierarchy. This is what my 2013 has been about. It's nice to see people excited about their acquisition, hungry to hear more, but I really need to answer my own need first, instead of "I'm gonna check out what the buzz is about just cause he said so."

Off-topic: After the aforementioned realization about mechanical pencils, I spent a whole afternoon nursing a rotring.com shopping cart with a 600 in it. Then I kinda realized that impulse, that yearning for the 600 was me sucking up someone else's palpable excitement like a psychic sponge. The real me? I paid 30 cents US for the cheapest Paper Mate pencil and I thought it wrote amazeballs, buttery smooth with 4B lead on 90gsm Clairefontaine paper. I will get to the 600 someday, but only when it's because I truly want to, and not because I'm a psychic sponge.

I'm with you on finding your own sweet spot rather than respecting a 'manufacturer's sense of hierarchy.' Even if you trust that every step will be incrementally better, it's easy to just fall into that rather than assessing the value of every step. Sometimes it's good to just relax and enjoy things. I, too, have ended up with 'lesser' mechanical pencils (the 600, while a lovely object, was kind of a weighty writer for me) because really... that energy is better wasted on leads :wink:

Quote:
If that's the case, will the inline mic have any impact on the SQ?

I can't speak to these specifically, but I have two IEMs with inline controls - Moshi Keramo and Musical Fidelity EB-50. On iPhone, which knows 'what to do' with the mic/control, I hear what I would describe as digital noise, kind of a weird modulated sound, very faint, as they presumably negotiate each others' presence. However, when I plug them into my Mac which does not know what to do with the control, this noise is considerably worse, more irritating. I personally try to avoid the control/mics, as I don't find them a particularly useful/convenient feature anyway. 

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #1,580 of 1,936
Hi brhfi, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Appreciate it.

From where I am, there's only the FRD for sale/audition and can't compare them personally. I have a need for an iem with the mic during my working hours thus looking for more information thru this thread hoping for someone who might have did a comparison between the FXD and FRD. Anyway, I'll keep your thoughts in mind and audition the FRD80 to see if I'll would hear the same kind of issues as you did.

Thanks again.

May 2, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #1,583 of 1,936
Would like to know if anyone figured out how to open them without breaking them also.

May 2, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #1,584 of 1,936
Quote:
Would like to know if anyone figured out how to open them without breaking them also.

YES!! I need to know this too. One side is shorted our so the wire needs to be adjusted. I might just go for it and see what happens, but I'd like to know if someone that knows what they're doing could help us out.

May 12, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #1,586 of 1,936
Quote:
Please let us know if you succeed.

How are the HA-FXD80s compared to the ATH-CKN70s by the way?

The FXD80 is smoother in the highs and has less mid-bass warmth. They also have a much nicer cable (the CKN70 cable is horribly noisy), better build quality and seem slightly cheaper. I don't have both to directly compare anymore but I would go for the JVC's.

May 13, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #1,587 of 1,936
I've tried searching and read through nearly all the pages in this thread, but couldn't find anything relating to my question.  

Perhaps it's embarrassing, but I am going to ask nevertheless, we have a retailer here in Western Canada that stocks the HA-FRD60s for $50, and I was wondering if they included volume control buttons?  I know it lists a remote with it, but in terms of functionality with Android devices, what are peoples experiences?

I have a Galaxy Nexus and not a lot of quality headphones out there support the Android/Samsung standard completely.  

May 13, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #1,588 of 1,936
Quote:
I've tried searching and read through nearly all the pages in this thread, but couldn't find anything relating to my question.  

Perhaps it's embarrassing, but I am going to ask nevertheless, we have a retailer here in Western Canada that stocks the HA-FRD60s for $50, and I was wondering if they included volume control buttons?  I know it lists a remote with it, but in terms of functionality with Android devices, what are peoples experiences?

I have a Galaxy Nexus and not a lot of quality headphones out there support the Android/Samsung standard completely.  

I've tried the FRD80 recently and the only thing I see is the mic control and no volume control. There's something they called a Smart switch to switch the mic control for use between the IPhone or Smart phone. One thing I didn't try is whether they can skip tracks with the one button control. Hope that helps.

May 13, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #1,589 of 1,936
Quote:

[...] They also have a much nicer cable (the CKN70 cable is horribly noisy) [...]

Huh, of the IEMs I have around, I really dislike the cable on the JVC. Sticky sort of rubber, and not terribly flexible. But then I'm not really concerned with microphonics myself. Interesting...
Keeping my JVCs in rotation on the train for this week at least, and I'm curious to see how much memory the cable has being wound in my old circular Shure hardcase...

May 13, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #1,590 of 1,936
The FXD70 and 80 have some of the best cable I encountered. The do not tangle much, have little microphonics and are supple enough to use around the ear without earguides.
Not as free of cable noise as the twisted ones from Rockit R-50 and Westone though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back