JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60
Nov 15, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #1,351 of 1,936
I think the FXD series was definitely a FOTM. They aren't bad per say, but won't be classics like the GR07. 

Been listening today
FXD60-bloated bass, offensive treble
FXD70-bass is nice, noticably less than the other 2, but the treble is metallic, sharp midrange. 
FXD80-2nd bassiest, still bloated IMO. Treble is almost like the 70's, maybe a bit smoother
All are recessed in the midrange, with the 70 being the least. 70 is noticeably the best IMO. 

how would you compare the Sony MH1C to FXD70?  MH1C should have more bass quantity I believe, I'm mostly concerned about the mids, will 70 sounds more recessed in mids than MH1C?

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #1,352 of 1,936
FXD70 has less bass but its of way better quality. Faster, smears less and fairly balanced. Mids are only a bit set back because of the treble but not too bad, foam tips will help. On the other hand the 60 and 80 have both a bass and treble that overshadow the midrange. I don't have foam tips but cut a small piece of foam and placed it inside the tips and the midrange is more forward. MH1 has better treble but it gets more overshadowed by the bass.

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #1,353 of 1,936
Quote:
FXD70 has less bass but its of way better quality. Faster, smears less and fairly balanced. Mids are only a bit set back because of the treble but not too bad, foam tips will help. On the other hand the 60 and 80 have both a bass and treble that overshadow the midrange. I don't have foam tips but cut a small piece of foam and placed it inside the tips and the midrange is more forward. MH1 has better treble but it gets more overshadowed by the bass.

Thanks for your input.  I'm going to get a 70 for listening to classical and female vocal tracks at home.  For everything else I will use the MH1C.
Outdoor GR07 is still my choice with its fit and over the ear wear.

Too bad I can't try 70 locally, I tried the 80's before but from my memory, the V shaped signature and recessed vocal is too much for my liking.  If the 70's are as you described I would like to give it a go.

One more question, do you think the 70's signature is more balanced with a warmer source like the E17?  Compare that with IP4 I guess.

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #1,354 of 1,936
The main thing that throws off the balance on the 70 is it's big 9k spike, neither source tames it notably as they're both pretty transparent. It's one of the things that really gets your attention and may be a deal breaker for some, luckily foam tips will help or my mod.

Nov 16, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #1,355 of 1,936
thats why i like the 70's over the 80's,  better sounding iem IMHO.

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #1,357 of 1,936
Those that have compared the FXDs to the XBA3s prefer the latter, from what I've been told/read.(see xba3 thread) Also xbas3>Xba4. I have heard the XBA3, though briefly a while back, it left a better impression.

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #1,358 of 1,936
Hi, just bought myself a pair of FXD-80's and am loving the sound! Thanks for all the reviews and sharing of experiences guys!

However, I have pretty small ear holes and even the smallest stock tips that came with the earphones doesn't seal properly in my ears.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of silicon type tips that might work for this particular pair of earphones?

I visited my local store and most of the silicon tips (shures, monster etc) would not fit it as the hole on the tips were small.

I also prefer silicon as I find they last longer and eliminate the hassle of changing tips once they get dirty.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks for reading!

Nov 18, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #1,359 of 1,936
Quote:
Hi, just bought myself a pair of FXD-80's and am loving the sound! Thanks for all the reviews and sharing of experiences guys!

However, I have pretty small ear holes and even the smallest stock tips that came with the earphones doesn't seal properly in my ears.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of silicon type tips that might work for this particular pair of earphones?

I visited my local store and most of the silicon tips (shures, monster etc) would not fit it as the hole on the tips were small.

I also prefer silicon as I find they last longer and eliminate the hassle of changing tips once they get dirty.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks for reading!

Auveo tips from radioshack

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #1,361 of 1,936
Those that have compared the FXDs to the XBA3s prefer the latter, from what I've been told/read.(see xba3 thread) Also xbas3>Xba4. I have heard the XBA3, though briefly a while back, it left a better impression.

Even though I am an adamant Sony fan sortof, and was excited about the new made-in-Japan BA drivers in the XBA-3 and XBA-4, I couldn't quite live with them and discarded of them quite quickly.  They both had flaws I couldn't overcome.

Tomscy2000 and ljokerl didn't like them very much either, a_recording preferred the FXD80 to his XBA-4.  I'd like them if they were my first IEM's (which to most consumers, they are), and I can see that some people like them since they 'sound like dynamic drivers', but you may as well just use a dynamic driver then.  I even preferred my Vsonic GR04 (which, I have a feeling is a Sony driver or Sony driver clone / improvement somehow ftr).

Apart from the drivers themselves not sounding like your typical higher-end BA IEM (which I was hoping for), I think the main issue at least for me was sensitivity to their crossover-less-ness, something like this - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/221643-active-vrs-passive-35.html#post3210434

I have a feeling the new JH13 and JH16 "freqphase" is using a DSP technique like that.  Digital crossover correction and / or a time-error correction of some sort.  I did distinctly prefer the JH11 demo unit to the JH16 on three seperate trials, so I believe the marketing when they say they've improved on the JH16.  Then again, we shouldn't really use digital DSP with anything in acoustics.  Then again, if the JH16 was flawed all this time compared to lesser-driver CIEM's, they've already pushed quite a lot of marketing on us.

I'm sure you've already seen this, but I'm posting the link anyway so other users in the thread can see it and try it, if they have an iPhone - http://accudio.goldenears.net/

It should finally shed some needed light on flat frequency repsonse, and / or equalizers.

As for the JVC IEM's, try them over-ear with a deeper insertion, it really improves the spatial presentation IME.  For me personally, the JVC FXD80 is one IEM I'll never sell.

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #1,362 of 1,936
Quote:
As for the JVC IEM's, try them over-ear with a deeper insertion, it really improves the spatial presentation IME.  For me personally, the JVC FXD80 is one IEM I'll never sell.

Have you tried the fxd70's? If so, how would you compare them to the xba3?

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #1,363 of 1,936

Have you tried the fxd70's? If so, how would you compare them to the xba3?

Nope, I own JVC FXC51, JVC FX500, JVC FXD80.  I've tried the JVC FXT-90.  I also own the JVC HA-S500 (headphone).

The impressions of the FXD70 seem good in that it may have the better FR, mids etc., but tomscy2000 said something like it's less airy or more closed-in sounding, which makes sense since it's not vented like the FXD80, so I skipped it.

Then again, I don't think the JVC FXC51 is vented, and despite it's flaws I quite loved that IEM too!  Only after using an equalizer and pretty much only with psytrance music, though.

I remember back when user "Katun" was saying it's better than the Ultrasone Pro 900 after eq, and all kinds of comments like that, I picked it up and found it was really good after eq too, fun times before the FXD80 existed.

Nov 21, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #1,364 of 1,936
Quote:
Tomscy2000 and ljokerl didn't like them very much either, a_recording preferred the FXD80 to his XBA-4.  I'd like them if they were my first IEM's (which to most consumers, they are), and I can see that some people like them since they 'sound like dynamic drivers', but you may as well just use a dynamic driver then.  I even preferred my Vsonic GR04 (which, I have a feeling is a Sony driver or Sony driver clone / improvement somehow ftr).

Apart from the drivers themselves not sounding like your typical higher-end BA IEM (which I was hoping for), I think the main issue at least for me was sensitivity to their crossover-less-ness, something like this - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/221643-active-vrs-passive-35.html#post3210434

I have a feeling the new JH13 and JH16 "freqphase" is using a DSP technique like that.  Digital crossover correction and / or a time-error correction of some sort.  I did distinctly prefer the JH11 demo unit to the JH16 on three seperate trials, so I believe the marketing when they say they've improved on the JH16.  Then again, we shouldn't really use digital DSP with anything in acoustics.  Then again, if the JH16 was flawed all this time compared to lesser-driver CIEM's, they've already pushed quite a lot of marketing on us.

I'm sure you've already seen this, but I'm posting the link anyway so other users in the thread can see it and try it, if they have an iPhone - http://accudio.goldenears.net/
It should finally shed some needed light on flat frequency repsonse, and / or equalizers.

As for the JVC IEM's, try them over-ear with a deeper insertion, it really improves the spatial presentation IME.  

The only good ones are the XBA1 and 3, but the latter is more noteworthy. Joker liked XBA1 not the XBA4, which isn't surprising. Can't speak for Tom. Can't speak for the customs, have yet to see something from a custom that catches my interest, freqphase is a cool idea to fix inverted polarity, but the differences seem overblown. Accudio app is garbage, I won't even bother, someone will write an article as to why soon, so look out for that. No big difference with deep insertion, bass still too bloated and treble is too sharp, not to mention recessed midrange. The FXD70 has lots of potential though, but it's higher treble is so sharp like the 80s, it sets back the midrange and tonality, shame cause it's really nice otherwise. 

Nov 21, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #1,365 of 1,936
Quote:

X2 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back