JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60
Aug 21, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #1,036 of 1,936
Quote:
1st impression of the FXD70's with zero burn in.

TBH was initially a little bit underwhelmed coming from the more bassy sound of the FX40's. These FXD70's were so soft sounding when I turned the volume in which I normally listen to the FX40/101's at.  So had to crack it up couple of notches on my ipod classic/ nano.  The FX40/ 101's are pretty loud at 50 to 65 %, but these FXD70's needs to be turned up to the upper 60s to 70s to get the same level of sound. The bass of the FXD70's is definitely not as big as the 40s, so I was initially asking myself "where's DAT BASS"? Hence my initial disappointment. The bass is just slightly less then that of the FX40s but would have been great if it was bigger, hence a total upgrade. ahahaha <3 DAT BASS. 

BUT, as I was tip rolling and began to really listen to them, the FXD70's seems to have a slightly thicker and more lush sound as compared to the FX40s. Instrument separation and overall sound is more refined on the FXD70. And most importantly there is very little to ZERO sibilance or harsh highs. Songs that would normally rape my ears on the FX40s due to poor mastering sounds just as good as the well mastered ones. You can still hear the Ssss, Ttttt etc but it isn't as harsh (and that's at zero burn in), so the sound signature of these 70s are a lot less revealing and more forgiving.  It can basically take on anything you throw at it and makes it sound sooooo sweet.  This was what I was searching for that was lacking in the FX40s.  BIG THANKS to DannyBai for your feedback regarding sibilance/ highs on these FXD70s, you were right on the money!    

The stock tips provides an alright sound/ seal like a lot of you'll had mentioned, so I tired a couple of different tips. The foam tips that came with my FX40s sounds pretty good on the FXD70s, as well as the stock medium tips from the FX101s. The best fit/ sound I got was from the Auvio tips from radio shack, so thanks for the heads up on those guys. Also I found that they are most comfortable worn over the ears, cuz the big strain relief thing makes my ear sore after a short time.  Pretty damn happy with these, cuz it's exactly what I was looking for that was lacking in the FX40s, just wish MORRRR BASS. ha  But I got that area covered with the S500s.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for all of your recs/ feedbacks!!!  Now time to beat them nanotubes down to submission, although I am already happy with the way they sound on open box. LoL

P.S. wish they were more chromed out, would look so much more BOSS. 

Nice impressions sfwalcer.  I was hoping you wouldn't be disappointed by them.  I agree these take some more juice to get the best sound.  I also need to crank up the volume a notch or two on these compared to the other FXD phones.  The bass is there but for me it's the least bassiest of the three.  

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #1,039 of 1,936
Would you guys recommend these IEMs for someone who has never had anything hi-end before? I'm looking to buy some IEMs as a gift for a friend who has only used Apple earbuds before, and I'm not looking to spend over 1000HKD (125USD). These come in at 700HKD locally, so i was immediately drawn to them. I don't know what sort of music he really prefers, I just want to give him some IEMs that will really surprise him with the SQ... are these a good choice? Thanks :)

Aug 22, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #1,041 of 1,936
Quote:

Yup, they're pretty raw out of the box    ....you just got to cook them properly !

The mark of most budget gems.
wink.gif

Aug 22, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #1,042 of 1,936
Quote:

Nice impressions sfwalcer.  I was hoping you wouldn't be disappointed by them.  I agree these take some more juice to get the best sound.  I also need to crank up the volume a notch or two on these compared to the other FXD phones.  The bass is there but for me it's the least bassiest of the three.  

Out of the 3 FXD's 60/70/80's, you are saying that the 70s has the least amount of bass??? Thought the 80's were the most neutral/ lightest in bass  department from all of your impressions. Or are you comparing the FX40, 60s,70s? MIND = OFFICIALLY BLOWN if the 80s has more bass than 70s.  LoL

Aug 22, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #1,043 of 1,936
Quote:
Out of the 3 FXD's 60/70/80's, you are saying that the 70s has the least amount of bass??? Thought the 80's were the most neutral/ lightest in bass  department from all of your impressions. Or are you comparing the FX40, 60s,70s. MIND = OFFICIALLY BLOWN if the 80s has more bass than 70s.  LoL

I'm comparing the D60,70 and 80.  I know everyone else has said the 80's have more bass but I don't hear it that way.  The 60's have the most bass and the 70's to me have the tightest bass, hence hearing the least amount of bass.  Both the 60's and 80's bass booms more compared to the 70's.  The 60's sound uncontrolled compared to the other two but not bad compared to many earphones.  I also think the 70's are more neutral than the 80's.  I know I'm alone on this but not gonna lie to be agreeable.  
Good chance what I'm hearing is way off too.  
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 22, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #1,044 of 1,936
Quote:
I'm comparing the D60,70 and 80.  I know everyone else has said the 80's have more bass but I don't hear it that way.  The 60's have the most bass and the 70's to me have the tightest bass, hence hearing the least amount of bass.  Both the 60's and 80's bass booms more compared to the 70's.  The 60's sound uncontrolled compared to the other two but not bad compared to many earphones.  I also think the 70's are more neutral than the 80's.  I know I'm alone on this but not gonna lie to be agreeable.  
Good chance what I'm hearing is way off too.  
tongue_smile.gif

WoW really? cuz I remember Dsnuts stated this bass wise S500>40>70>80. So I assumed the 80s were the most bass light, but now I think I might have to get the 80s as well to test out your theory ahahahahaha. MORRRR SEXY BASS on them nonotubes are never enough.
biggrin.gif
All in due time I guess still need to enjoy them 70s/ S500s 1st. When the 80s hit stateside and at a good price.................no comment.

Aug 22, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #1,045 of 1,936
Quote:
WoW really? cuz I remember Dsnuts stated this bass wise S500>40>70>80. So I assumed the 80s were the most bass light, but now I think I might have to get the 80s as well to test out your theory ahahahahaha. MORRRR SEXY BASS on them nonotubes are never enough.
biggrin.gif
All in due time I guess still need to enjoy them 70s/ S500s 1st. When the 80s hit stateside and at a good price.................no comment.

Don't take my word for it but that's how I hear it.  Plus, I trust Ds's ears over mine.  For getting the 80's down the road, I would highly recommend it.  They sound absolutely awesome.  Love 'em every time I pop them in.  Heck, I still prefer them over the any of the nanotubes, including the S500.  

Aug 22, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #1,046 of 1,936
Quote:
Don't take my word for it but that's how I hear it.  Plus, I trust Ds's ears over mine.  For getting the 80's down the road, I would highly recommend it.  They sound absolutely awesome.  Love 'em every time I pop them in.  Heck, I still prefer them over the any of the nanotubes, including the S500.  

Cools, since you were right on the money on these FXD70s, that is the official green light I need to cop them 80s, thanks a ton meng!!!

Aug 23, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #1,049 of 1,936
Would you guys recommend these IEMs for someone who has never had anything hi-end before? I'm looking to buy some IEMs as a gift for a friend who has only used Apple earbuds before, and I'm not looking to spend over 1000HKD (125USD). These come in at 700HKD locally, so i was immediately drawn to them. I don't know what sort of music he really prefers, I just want to give him some IEMs that will really surprise him with the SQ... are these a good choice? Thanks :)

Sure, why not. I mean anything is an upgrade to your friend's Apple earbuds. What are you concerned about?

Sure, why not. I mean anything is an upgrade to your friend's Apple earbuds. What are you concerned about?

Wondering if these are good to be some beginner IEMs for someone, thats all. 

The FXD80 and Sony EX600 are pretty good choices as new fish IEM's, I think with the Vsonic GR07 a new fish most likely won't appreciate the sound and should listen to the R04 or GR06 first.

There is an ancient Chinese proverb, "A music fan likes the bass, a music lover likes the highs, yet a true audiophile is into the mids".

Well the FXD80 has bass and highs lol.

Aug 23, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #1,050 of 1,936
Quote:
The FXD80 and Sony EX600 are pretty good choices as new fish IEM's, I think with the Vsonic GR07 a new fish most likely won't appreciate the sound and should listen to the R04 or GR06 first.

There is an ancient Chinese proverb, "A music fan likes the bass, a music lover likes the highs, yet a true audiophile is into the mids".

Well the FXD80 has bass and highs lol.

It certainly does, I can see it probably being one of the most impressive things to give a budding audiophile.

This morning I was listening to the Tron soundtrack w/ my GR07s and decided to give a girl I've recently started seeing a listen... to the best of my knowledge she has no audiophile experience, and her reaction was "holy crap, that sounds amazing, how much were these?"  She spent about 10 minutes with them then had to take off.  Next time she's over I'll let her spend time with the FXD80s and S500s.  I have a feeling the FXDs will win over a variety of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back