JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60
Jul 22, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #871 of 1,936
Quote:
The reverse comply tips are excellent! I didn't know that it would have made such a difference!
Wow! Thanks....I am loving these things all over again!

Just when I settled on medium black Monster foams, now I have to try reverse T-400's. 
smile.gif

Jul 22, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #872 of 1,936
I love the sound but the fit for me was not great as they easily were popping out, this improved with the comply's as well as with the radio shack tips, but with the reverse it seems like they wedge in my ear better. Probably because it forms a lip, and it just works!

Thanks for posting that pic as I would have never though of reversing them!

Jul 22, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #873 of 1,936
I love the sound but the fit for me was not great as they easily were popping out, this improved with the comply's as well as with the radio shack tips, but with the reverse it seems like they wedge in my ear better. Probably because it forms a lip, and it just works!
Thanks for posting that pic as I would have never though of reversing them!

Glad you like them! I think the original idea came from dogears for the dba-02 a while back. Not sure if it was him but it definitely works! I too love the perfect fit.

Jul 22, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #874 of 1,936
I know there were some early posts of the fxd 80 vs fxd 70, but now that there's been enough burn in can anyone comment on their differences?

Just wondering, if I should pick it up...

The 80's are really grooving for me, other than slight less details and slightly more subbass anything else??

Basically, is it really necessary to have both?

Jul 23, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #876 of 1,936
Okay, so helped my friend order a pair of FXD80's, and we had a chance to compares fresh out of the box pair with my own plugged into an objective 2 with a splitter.

I found it hard to hear much difference between the two. Whenever I thought I heard a difference, switching to the other pair didn't confirm it.

My friend thought that he could hear some difference, namely that my pair was possibly a little smoother and also had more treble. Certainly though neither of us thought there was any significant difference that was immediately obvious in switching.

Now of course this can't really definitively confirm or deny burn in, considering that manufacturing differences between individual units would also lead to different sounds.

However the idea that these drivers are special and somehow need a burn in time after which the vocal scoop goes away and the sound becomes more balanced is hard to believe given that both the new and old unit sounded pretty much the same: that lovely v shape that makes everything so dynamic.

All up Tenso forwarding and the headphones from Amazon Japan cost 95 dollars. A real steal.

Jul 23, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #878 of 1,936
Quote:
I know there were some early posts of the fxd 80 vs fxd 70, but now that there's been enough burn in can anyone comment on their differences?
Just wondering, if I should pick it up...
The 80's are really grooving for me, other than slight less details and slightly more subbass anything else??
Basically, is it really necessary to have both?

Well I think I posted a few pages back about this, so others feel free to chime in, but I would say it's not necessary. I'm glad I have both and I find my listening time split between both. The sound signatures are not the same, but they are drastically different either. I would say there is far more greater difference in the EX600/EX1000 by Sony ( many who heard both - including me - said the 600 is about 20 percent less than the 1000).

I think the D70 fluctuates to my ears as being about 10 percent to 15 percent less  than D80 (usually just 10 percent. No, you won't be missing anything spectacular if you already have the D80. If you already had the D70, I might have been more inclined to suggest picking up the D80 for that extra space between instruments and slightly (and I mean slightly) more details.

Jul 23, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #880 of 1,936
I use t-400 just because that's what I happened to have and the fit was really tight. Medium should be fine but maybe someone who has bought a different size should chime in. Medium is about the same as the stock premounted tips. See the previous pics for reference.

Jul 23, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #881 of 1,936
I made the mistake to get 3 pairs of medium and would have been better off getting the size sampler pack with a small med and lg. the mediums work but I would have like to try the small as these particular iem's go in deep and sit differently than others I have tried!

Thanks eric for the rexplanation, I am sorry I missed it somewhere in the thread!

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #882 of 1,936
I'm still working on rolling different sizes of Monster gels for the moment. They offer a wide bore; same as the Aveo tips. The Monsters mount on the nozzle easy enough. Next up will be the small, medium and large sizes I have on hand of the T400. Frontwards and backwards test. 

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #883 of 1,936
Which are Monster gels?

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #884 of 1,936
lawrywild, these are tips that I first experienced having come with my Monster Miles Davis Tributes. The Tributes bore is also wide. I eventually got rid of the Tributes, but remembered what the gels (and foams) did for its sound. I was able to get a decent seal when inserted shallow. The gels are available in a size sampler pack, along with Monster foams. Here is it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Foam-SuperTip-Sampler-Starter/dp/B003TFEHMA

The package depicted is different than the one I bought. I bought one that was available at Staples. Got it on impulse.

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #885 of 1,936
Quote:

Okay, I bit fellas. I love the sound of the D80 and D70 so much in an IEM that I just purchased on amazon.co.jp the HA-S500 (the larger 40 mm driver) headphone. I hope it brings the same or similar sound signature of the FXD80, but on a bit of a grander scale. We'll see.

looking forward for your impression on HA-S500... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back