JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60
Sep 3, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #1,846 of 1,936
Yeah, Tenores are good, but yes, can have problems... I'd skip the EPH or Tenore and get the TTPOD T1-E or KZ EDSE/DM2. Much better options and cheaper. Also, there is the Vivo XE800 if you want something to beat down your VSD3S.

haha those vivo xe800s look interesting though i love the white but if its just a gr07 it seems like a repeat 

now if my gr07 be breaks one day 

whoot why the hell not

Sep 4, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #1,847 of 1,936

haha those vivo xe800s look interesting though i love the white but if its just a gr07 it seems like a repeat 

now if my gr07 be breaks one day 

whoot why the hell not

Some people actually prefer it more sound wise. But to each his own or ymmv :)

Even more impressions will be here soon enough(vs. GR07BE) I'm sure.

Sep 4, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #1,849 of 1,936
You could follow the Vivo XE800 thread and/or Chinese/Asian iem thread if you aren't already. Hisoundfi is getting his soon from Bhazard(extra pair) and will compare them to his GR07BE. Bhazard personally likes em' better than the Vsonic GR07 series I think he's said. So far it seems there are some mixed opinions over there...
I personally am gonna stay away from the Vivo and Vsonics and Ostry cause I'm pretty upper mid&treble sensitive. Also, not gonna deal with Toabao or Aliexpress, so that throws out KZ or the Vivos too.

Also for your YouTube channel, you should check out the Yamaha HPH-200 for a student budget-minded open supra-aural headphone. I got mine for $80 on sheetmusicplus.com. They are a steal for that. Uninspiring build quality, but great sound! I told Lachlan he should check them out. They are probably the best sub-100 headphone you can get imo. Takstar Pro 80, ML Mikros 90, HD558(used) are also other possible contenders.
Then the T1-E would be a good one to look into. Cause it brings a good compliment/opposing signature to the Havi or RE-400 or GR07BE. But would probably compete with your VSD3S SS wise.

Cheers :beerchug:

Sep 6, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #1,850 of 1,936
@Tom22
I am currently using standard Ety HF5 triple-flanges from a friend, previously standard/medium single flanges on my Nuforces. I like the seal on the Etys though. Didn't see your video before and that huge nozzle is somewhat unsettling, haha. Is the whole thing meant to fit inside the ear canal?! I'm poking around my ear and it doesn't *feel* like it would fit. Also, how did strings sound unnatural?

@Sweden
Thanks for the tip (pun not intended)! I think my current tips have an almost-vacuum-like seal and I think I actually like its isolation properties. I've tried Complys and other foam tips but they've never seemed to work very well, but I don't know what I'm doing so take my observations with a grain of salt.

@tquickbrownfox
I'll have to listen to the HF5s again with a good setup, in that case. I'm not too miffed about having less than crystal clear accuracy - I think I would go still for enjoyabilitiness (since we're making up words anyway) first. I tend to listen to more soundtracks than straight classical, although I do love myself a nice brassy symphony...which means I'm a little concerned with your Mahler observations. Could you elaborate?

Sep 6, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #1,851 of 1,936
@Tom22
I am currently using standard Ety HF5 triple-flanges from a friend, previously standard/medium single flanges on my Nuforces. I like the seal on the Etys though. Didn't see your video before and that huge nozzle is somewhat unsettling, haha. Is the whole thing meant to fit inside the ear canal?! I'm poking around my ear and it doesn't *feel* like it would fit. Also, how did strings sound unnatural?

@Sweden
Thanks for the tip (pun not intended)! I think my current tips have an almost-vacuum-like seal and I think I actually like its isolation properties. I've tried Complys and other foam tips but they've never seemed to work very well, but I don't know what I'm doing so take my observations with a grain of salt.

@tquickbrownfox
I'll have to listen to the HF5s again with a good setup, in that case. I'm not too miffed about having less than crystal clear accuracy - I think I would go still for enjoyabilitiness (since we're making up words anyway) first. I tend to listen to more soundtracks than straight classical, although I do love myself a nice brassy symphony...which means I'm a little concerned with your Mahler observations. Could you elaborate?

Like it just sounds unnatural its kinda hard to describe for example cymbals have an extra sort of reverberation for like 1/2 second.

Sep 8, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #1,852 of 1,936
@Tom22

@Sweden

@tquickbrownfox

Actually I haven't been able to elaborate on that much further. Thats basically it, the imaging of the fxd80 is vague. Its spacious, but at the same time (possibly due to the slight midbassiness, idk) it doesn't sound as 'distinct'. Don't take my word for it though. And it does sound enjoyable though. Just not 'right'. 

Oct 2, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #1,856 of 1,936
Exactly what can the FRD80's remote do? Play/pause and forward? No volume control?
Comparing the FXD70 vs the FXD80, would the latter be an upgrade in sound or just a move sideways (different signature)? 

Oct 2, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #1,857 of 1,936
  sorry but do you have a link? i cant seem to find it

Sorry for the late reply!!!

at around 7:10 
  Exactly what can the FRD80's remote do? Play/pause and forward? No volume control?
Comparing the FXD70 vs the FXD80, would the latter be an upgrade in sound or just a move sideways (different signature)? 

frd remote plays nicely with both apple and androids

take calls, play/pause rewind/fast forward and siri/svoice

no volume as you stated

Oct 4, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #1,858 of 1,936
Great review Tom! Thanks :)

I just picked up the FRD60 for 17 CAD (hehehe, thank you Futureshop Management and dishonest people opening boxes to either try/steal them) since I couldn't find the 70s or 80s stocked in any physical locations. None of the included eartips fit well, either too big or too small. I found the Sony Hybrids (med) fit well and am using those. Comfort and seal is now fantastic.

Out of box - I found them to be way too bright and bass free. Given they are JVCs, I let them play overnight (I know it is recommended to let them play for a long @$$ time...). Tried next day, same thoughts. Very underwhelmed. Then I figured I would try my hand at EQing them. What needed to be addressed? Bass: bump up the low freqs a couple dBs. Treble: drop the high freqs a couple dBs. End result....DAMN! These puppies shine with some minor eq...what a turn-around. The bass is unreal, and they have a nice open soundstage which threw me off initially. I read back around ~pg 40 that someone felt they were bass cannons. Yes....they certainly can be. Stock tuning seems very treble/mid focused imo, but they are very receptive and sensitive to eqing in a good way. Can't wait to see what more 'burning' does. 17 bucks well spent!

Oct 4, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #1,859 of 1,936
  Great review Tom! Thanks :)

I just picked up the FRD60 for 17 CAD (hehehe, thank you Futureshop Management and dishonest people opening boxes to either try/steal them) since I couldn't find the 70s or 80s stocked in any physical locations. None of the included eartips fit well, either too big or too small. I found the Sony Hybrids (med) fit well and am using those. Comfort and seal is now fantastic.

Out of box - I found them to be way too bright and bass free. Given they are JVCs, I let them play overnight (I know it is recommended to let them play for a long @$$ time...). Tried next day, same thoughts. Very underwhelmed. Then I figured I would try my hand at EQing them. What needed to be addressed? Bass: bump up the low freqs a couple dBs. Treble: drop the high freqs a couple dBs. End result....DAMN! These puppies shine with some minor eq...what a turn-around. The bass is unreal, and they have a nice open soundstage which threw me off initially. I read back around ~pg 40 that someone felt they were bass cannons. Yes....they certainly can be. Stock tuning seems very treble/mid focused imo, but they are very receptive and sensitive to eqing in a good way. Can't wait to see what more 'burning' does. 17 bucks well spent!

no problem! glad you enjoyed it! 

wow that is cheap! i haven't heard of the frd60s myself but the end goal is to enjoy yourself, and it sounds like that you've achieved that!

Oct 4, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #1,860 of 1,936
no problem! glad you enjoyed it! 

wow that is cheap! i haven't heard of the frd60s myself but the end goal is to enjoy yourself, and it sounds like that you've achieved that!

My understanding is they are the Fxd60 with a mic. They definitely sound like a JVC carbon nanotube IEM now that I've a/b'd them a bit with the FXT90 and FX3X. I'm sure the 70 and 80 walk all over them, but they're still pretty enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back