JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60
Jul 31, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #1,816 of 1,936
Ugh I absolutely detest that phone! Fxd70 is by far the worst in my collection. It ain't no ear wax either. There been burnt to a crisp and sound just like they did out of the box, boring, grainy and confined. Ive tried amping them, tip rolling, insertion depth variations.... Those dudes are turds.

Jul 31, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #1,819 of 1,936

You can edit it. Just click the little pencil thing in the bottom left 
smile.gif

I can edit it, but can't get rid of it altogether.

Aug 10, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #1,821 of 1,936
I'm new to IEMs, and am currently using a set of $15 Sony earbuds from around 1993. Looking to upgrade. It'll just be used with a LG G2 and a Teenage Engineering OP-1 portable synth.
Do you guys still think the FXD80 is a good match? 20 ohms looks just right for these devices, and based on this long thread, and from reviewing Joker's great IEM list, do you think my assumption that they have a sound signature closest to the ATH-M50? Slight V but with a cold and clear sound? Amazon US has these for $62. Seems too good to be true.
Thanks.

Aug 10, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #1,822 of 1,936
I'm new to IEMs, and am currently using a set of $15 Sony earbuds from around 1993. Looking to upgrade. It'll just be used with a LG G2 and a Teenage Engineering OP-1 portable synth.
Do you guys still think the FXD80 is a good match? 20 ohms looks just right for these devices, and based on this long thread, and from reviewing Joker's great IEM list, do you think my assumption that they have a sound signature closest to the ATH-M50? Slight V but with a cold and clear sound? Amazon US has these for $62. Seems too good to be true.
Thanks.

I wouldn't describe them as particularly cold. 

They do have certain aspects of the sound signature resembling the athm50, Bass is deep, solid and controlled. Mid bass may seem much at times, coming from the athm50, but not in a bad way, it works for the fxd80, but thats one of the things one might dislike about the fxd80.

The treble doesn't resemble the athm50 as much. Its kinda detailed, but not super detailed. The fxd80/frd80z is fascinatingly non sibilant for an iem.

Its one of the better buys out there at the moment. Great build quality, great audio quality.

Its a great iem to gift to a non-audiophile. Hard-to-dislike sound signature, great build quality, quite a bit of "wow" effect for those upgrading from ibuds, very forgiving on badly recorded/lossy audio.

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #1,823 of 1,936
Thanks.

I wouldn't describe them as particularly cold. 

They do have certain aspects of the sound signature resembling the athm50, Bass is deep, solid and controlled. Mid bass may seem much at times, coming from the athm50, but not in a bad way, it works for the fxd80, but thats one of the things one might dislike about the fxd80.

The treble doesn't resemble the athm50 as much. Its kinda detailed, but not super detailed. The fxd80/frd80z is fascinatingly non sibilant for an iem.

Its one of the better buys out there at the moment. Great build quality, great audio quality.

Its a great iem to gift to a non-audiophile. Hard-to-dislike sound signature, great build quality, quite a bit of "wow" effect for those upgrading from ibuds, very forgiving on badly recorded/lossy audio.

i think it would be leaning close to the cold side, i never had a chance to a/b the fxd80 and the ath m50s side by side. but i think the fxd80 is tighter in the bass and the the treble is less harsh, a bit bright maybe but very well extended and pretty wide soundstage for an iem, a bit unnatural but still wide

i actually think a brighter earphone like the fxd 80 would NOT be forgiving for badly recorded music. because it can sound a bit jarring even if their not siblant, high frequencies in general can lead to fatigue, which is why a lot of headphones like the momentum over ear, and the onkyo fc300, and most CONSUMER cans roll off in the treble, because as sad as it to say but a lot of the music they listen to is badly recorded (ie ripped from youtube or on limewire etc)

Aug 11, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #1,824 of 1,936

i think it would be leaning close to the cold side, i never had a chance to a/b the fxd80 and the ath m50s side by side. but i think the fxd80 is tighter in the bass and the the treble is less harsh, a bit bright maybe but very well extended and pretty wide soundstage for an iem, a bit unnatural but still wide

i actually think a brighter earphone like the fxd 80 would NOT be forgiving for badly recorded music. because it can sound a bit jarring even if their not siblant, high frequencies in general can lead to fatigue, which is why a lot of headphones like the momentum over ear, and the onkyo fc300, and most CONSUMER cans roll off in the treble, because as sad as it to say but a lot of the music they listen to is badly recorded (ie ripped from youtube or on limewire etc)

I guess our difference in opinion comes from different experience. I'd consider fxd80 to be one of the lesser bright iems. Most iems I've owned have been brighter than the fxd80 (my xba3, brainwavz b2).

The fxd80 is not bright for an iem, imo, and there didn't seem to be any 'peaks'. I personally do think that they fare very well with badly recorded, youtube-fi music. I don't think the highs are 'in-your-face' enough to cause much fatigue. They're there, they're kinda detailed, but nothing more than that. 

Treble aside, the mid-bass, while not exactly 'bleeding' into other sections, does kinda feel very 'present' in the soundstage. I think that the extra mid-bass also helps hide any harshness.

So overall, I'd insist on disagreeing with you. I think that being 'forgiving on badly recorded music' is the quality that I found most impressive about the frd80z/fxd80.

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #1,825 of 1,936
Wow, what great insight guys! Thanks tquickbrownfox & Tom22. You seem to have different opinions, I'll have to hear them myself. Got a set on Amazon, and looking forward to my first set of good IEMs. V-shaped should be fun for casual listening.

I've been listening to my ATHM50s a lot with my LG G2 and compared to my AKG K702 65th Annies, the midrange seems boosted on the ATHs, especially the low-mids. They (ATHM50) have a more noticeable amount of mid-bass too. High treble is boosted as well. Love my AKGs.

Already interested in the HiFiman RE-400, the Etymotic HF5 or MC5, Philips Fidelio S2. Something with a balanced sound across bass, mids, and treble. Have you tried any of these?

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #1,826 of 1,936
  I guess our difference in opinion comes from different experience. I'd consider fxd80 to be one of the lesser bright iems. Most iems I've owned have been brighter than the fxd80 (my xba3, brainwavz b2).

The fxd80 is not bright for an iem, imo, and there didn't seem to be any 'peaks'. I personally do think that they fare very well with badly recorded, youtube-fi music. I don't think the highs are 'in-your-face' enough to cause much fatigue. They're there, they're kinda detailed, but nothing more than that. 

Treble aside, the mid-bass, while not exactly 'bleeding' into other sections, does kinda feel very 'present' in the soundstage. I think that the extra mid-bass also helps hide any harshness.

So overall, I'd insist on disagreeing with you. I think that being 'forgiving on badly recorded music' is the quality that I found most impressive about the frd80z/fxd80.

haha this hobby will always have different opinions! i respect your opinions, and i agree with them being detailed in the treble as well, but like you said it really comes down to where your coming from (i came from rather dark sound signatures so that is a contributing factor as well)!
Wow, what great insight guys! Thanks tquickbrownfox & Tom22. You seem to have different opinions, I'll have to hear them myself. Got a set on Amazon, and looking forward to my first set of good IEMs. V-shaped should be fun for casual listening.

I've been listening to my ATHM50s a lot with my LG G2 and compared to my AKG K702 65th Annies, the midrange seems boosted on the ATHs, especially the low-mids. They (ATHM50) have a more noticeable amount of mid-bass too. High treble is boosted as well. Love my AKGs.

Already interested in the HiFiman RE-400, the Etymotic HF5 or MC5, Philips Fidelio S2. Something with a balanced sound across bass, mids, and treble. Have you tried any of these?

yup i have the re400s as well! i wrote a review on them a while back very good deal. i think in terms of price to performance one of the best in this hobby, not sure if i posted it. lemme dig around and get back to you.

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #1,827 of 1,936

sorry for the double post, but i sent you in your inbox here on head-fi my review on both the jvc fxd80s and the re400s. check it out any lemme know if you need any clarification

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #1,829 of 1,936
  Actually i was kinda looking forward to your comparison between them..

oh i posted a video review on my youtube channel regarding the fxd80. and in regards to the re400s. its really two very different sounding earphones, that complement each other in a collection.

the fxd80 is a fun yet detailed v shaped sound signature with a boosted yet not thick sounding bass (its very fast sounding and very textured), i found the mids to be recessed yet clear and cold and abeit on the unnatural side in terms of vocals and instruments. but the treble is quite shimmery and energetic. although there is a exaggerated treble in a sense, those frequencies tend to last a bit longer than normal in a sense, it "shimmers longer". nothing bad really, its just not true to the recording, but if your looking for a v shaped sound signature most times its not true to the recording anyway

the re400s is much more transparent and slightly warm sounding, with extended and non fatiguing,relaxing treble. the bass is much less than the fxd80s in terms of quantity, but the quality of the bass is superb, everything is separated beautifully and it really is a great all arounder.  but not for those that crave that extra bass (it can work for genres like pop and electronic and dubstep though, and is quite revealing for that, but again if your looking for that "fun, bobbing your head" factor, you won't find it with the re400

Aug 13, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #1,830 of 1,936
  oh i posted a video review on my youtube channel regarding the fxd80. and in regards to the re400s. its really two very different sounding earphones, that complement each other in a collection.

the fxd80 is a fun yet detailed v shaped sound signature with a boosted yet not thick sounding bass (its very fast sounding and very textured), i found the mids to be recessed yet clear and cold and abeit on the unnatural side in terms of vocals and instruments. but the treble is quite shimmery and energetic. although there is a exaggerated treble in a sense, those frequencies tend to last a bit longer than normal in a sense, it "shimmers longer". nothing bad really, its just not true to the recording, but if your looking for a v shaped sound signature most times its not true to the recording anyway

the re400s is much more transparent and slightly warm sounding, with extended and non fatiguing,relaxing treble. the bass is much less than the fxd80s in terms of quantity, but the quality of the bass is superb, everything is separated beautifully and it really is a great all arounder.  but not for those that crave that extra bass (it can work for genres like pop and electronic and dubstep though, and is quite revealing for that, but again if your looking for that "fun, bobbing your head" factor, you won't find it with the re400

How do you describe fxd80's soundstage and imaging?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back