JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60
Jul 9, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #1,801 of 1,936
  The memory foams came from ebay. the large ones are nice. now I can listen without my ear hurting due to tip not fitting my ears. I have burned in for around 2 weeks with 8 hours per day. I may have pumped up the volume too much at times... Is there a way I can find out if I had harmed this IEM? 

ok, as I m a basshead, the bass on this iem is not very satisfactory. maybe It is because I could not fit them in my ears :frowning2: I tried all but after a while the metal tipshurt my ears. Also the treble is too much for my ears I have to use eq to tone down treble. Also at some songs, when the bass is too much, it gets distorted or cracks. I cannot define it good but when I try with my v-moda m80 or CKS-90, the same songs it does not get that much distorted. maybe I destroyed it during burn-in, I do not know. 
Is there a website or sound stream that I can test so that I can understand I have destroyed this IEM?
Thanks All.

Jul 9, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #1,804 of 1,936
@ thickT

Crap I am one of the most indecisive person ever. Hey thickT, i was wondering if you ever tried the ath cks55. They look nice and are said to have a lot of bass. Both the xb50 and the cks55 are at the price of 40. To me it comes down to these two. Like I said above I like a lot of bass but if the cks55 had better mids and highs and a bit less bass I might get the cks55. What do you think> 

Jul 9, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #1,805 of 1,936
No I havent tried the cks55. But i woukd be willing to bet that it would have better mids and bass than the sony. I only have one ATH iem. But honestly I was so impressed with the one I have I've been really wanting to get a mid-top tier item from them. I was looking at the cks line sometime ago. From what I've read, those air chambers really work well for the bass. If I were you I would get the ATH over the Sony. I've owned several Sony's and I think I'm just starting to get bored of the same house sound of theirs. Usually small soundstage and big bass with rolled off treble. My expirence with ATH, mind you all I have I a ten dollar pair of clr100's, has been more punchy and detailed bass with present mids and better treble. My opinion would be to get the cks!!

Jul 9, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #1,806 of 1,936
You know what the cable seems a bit flimsy and there is no mic control but i am gonna go ahead and try them. 

edit:

Received the cks55 and as of now the mids and highs sound pretty recessed. I might need burn them in some more. What I find interesting is that the new apple earbuds sounds so much clearer. I like the open sound stage it has while not killing of the bass. The bass is not punchy but it has sub bass. 

Jul 22, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #1,808 of 1,936
Can anyone tell Me if the fxd80 sounds like the fxc51? I really enjoy that phone, but I didn't like the fxt90. Too aggressive in the mids and treble and the fxd70 just sounds really closed in and lifeless. I'm hoping that someone can comment on the open back design of the 80 and how well it works. Thanks

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #1,809 of 1,936
Can anyone tell Me if the fxd80 sounds like the fxc51? I really enjoy that phone, but I didn't like the fxt90. Too aggressive in the mids and treble and the fxd70 just sounds really closed in and lifeless. I'm hoping that someone can comment on the open back design of the 80 and how well it works. Thanks

I have both FXD80 and FXC51. They are quite different.
FXD80 is rather V shape but in a nice way. FXC51 is nice warm and rather bassy. I like them both. But if you expect FXD80 to be the upgrade of FXC51, I think it is not. Those who like FXC51 might feel FXD80 a tad too bright. Those who like FXD80, might think FXC51 lacking in treble. I like them both since I used them for different recordings.  For classical, FXD80 is much better.  For pop, and vocal, IMHO FXC51 is nicer with a thicker and more intimate focal.
Hope it helps.

If you're looking for an upgrade of FXC51, I suggest to try ATH-IM50.

Jul 22, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #1,810 of 1,936
Thanks for the speedy reply. I'm surprised, I didn't think many people had the fxc51. It makes me sad to hear, but I can't say I'm surprised. I got really excited when they debuted these because that was my first though " fxc51 update/upgrade!"

I'm also entertained to hear that you do enjoy the fxc51 as well. It really is such a unsuspecting phone haha. I think the style is such a comfy fit, so agian I'm quite disappointed that I have to skip the fxd80.

Its funny I was just thinking about the im50. It looks great and as much as I do love JVC, I am trying to listen to more AT products. I only have the CLR100 and I like them so I'm actually quite curious to see what some of AT more serious offering sound like. Thanks!

Jul 22, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #1,811 of 1,936
...so agian I'm quite disappointed that I have to skip the fxd80.

If you're willing to venture to taste other sound signature from JVC, FXD80 is good to have.
Just be informed, it has rich treble, so with vibrant recordings, some sibilant is expected.
Use it for this kind of music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1j19swJ8Rc&index=9&list=PLDCD67CE98D531DCE

You'll be amazed of how good FXD80 is 
wink_face.gif

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #1,812 of 1,936
Yeah I've already concluded I'm not a fan of the JVC treble. Proven by the fxd70 and the fxt90. Both phones that I really wanted to like but just don't. Although I still listen to my fxt90 from time to time. Needless to say I'm still a huge JVC fan and I'm sure one day I'll end up either trying their wood line up or hopefully they will release something new soon.

I'm actually really considering the fx200 because ive read that the twin drivers have been tuned differently than the fxt90 and I find the implementation of the kelton style woofer pretty appealing.

Jul 22, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #1,813 of 1,936
Yeah I've already concluded I'm not a fan of the JVC treble. Proven by the fxd70 and the fxt90. Both phones that I really wanted to like but just don't. Although I still listen to my fxt90 from time to time. Needless to say I'm still a huge JVC fan and I'm sure one day I'll end up either trying their wood line up or hopefully they will release something new soon.

I'm actually really considering the fx200 because ive read that the twin drivers have been tuned differently than the fxt90 and I find the implementation of the kelton style woofer pretty appealing.

hey i noticed you asked about the jvc fxd80, i have a review on these bad boys up on my youtube channel. check it out! 

As for the fxt90 you own, you said your not a fan of the treble (would you be interested in selling it) =)???

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #1,815 of 1,936
I've had two pairs of FXD70 and they are very close in sound to the FXD80. The bass on the FXD70 had a little more impact and the sound was more coherent, with the FXD80 having more air in the treble. 
I have noticed a difference in sound quality between the two FXD70. One sound a bit more grainy in the treble with a smaller soundstage.
One theory besides 'burn in' and product variance would be earwax getting in the nozzle filter and acting as another filter. The FXDs really have a tendency to get clogged (especially with the ebay foam tips that is a must for comfort)  so it's not by chance that the treble seems to reduce as time goes by.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back