JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60
May 18, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #1,771 of 1,936
They don't, carbon nanotubes are just a gimmick, they all suck ime. Either they used too little of the material and is coated in mostly plastic, or the implementation is horrid

Less the carbon and more the micro then :)

May 19, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #1,775 of 1,936
  Whats the difference between FXD80 and JVC HA-FRD80ZE

Umm
The FRD (I own the frd80), basically comes with a mic and a button remote (pause/play). 

The drivers and stuff are exactly the same, cable is different. I remember reading that some head-fier wrote that the FRD80 sounded the teensiest bit bassier (in a muddy way) and a little bit grainer up top. 

I personally believe that my impressions of the FRD80 have not completely matched other people's descriptions of the FXD80 (no one else seems to mention the ~11Khz Peak). People praise treble consistency and lack of sibilance (and i have noticed these to be the least harsh of the iems I've tried), while I have to take 1-2dB off the treble in the equalizer. Maybe I'm sensitive to higher frequencies (apparently thats a thing) Maybe I'm not. So I think that the cable does make a difference, although it is a small one. 

Beyond everything, don't take my word for it. I haven't tried both.

Also, having the FRD80 means much better resale value to non-audiophile iem purchasers. 

Plus I use the mic. 

What I can tell you is that the FRD80 is definitely worth the 88 bucks I paid for it.

May 20, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #1,776 of 1,936
Umm
The FRD (I own the frd80), basically comes with a mic and a button remote (pause/play). 

The drivers and stuff are exactly the same, cable is different. I remember reading that some head-fier wrote that the FRD80 sounded the teensiest bit bassier (in a muddy way) and a little bit grainer up top. 

I personally believe that my impressions of the FRD80 have not completely matched other people's descriptions of the FXD80 (no one else seems to mention the ~11Khz Peak). People praise treble consistency and lack of sibilance (and i have noticed these to be the least harsh of the iems I've tried), while I have to take 1-2dB off the treble in the equalizer. Maybe I'm sensitive to higher frequencies (apparently thats a thing) Maybe I'm not. So I think that the cable does make a difference, although it is a small one. 

Beyond everything, don't take my word for it. I haven't tried both.

Also, having the FRD80 means much better resale value to non-audiophile iem purchasers. 

Plus I use the mic. 

What I can tell you is that the FRD80 is definitely worth the 88 bucks I paid for it.

I paid $50 cad for mines and its very nice, but im planning on selling it soon unfortunately, the fxt90 is tempting me

May 20, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #1,777 of 1,936
I paid $50 cad for mines and its very nice, but im planning on selling it soon unfortunately, the fxt90 is tempting me

Eh, the bassy soundsignature of the fxt90 isn't worth it. Its a great 'wow' iem, initially, it'll blow your mind with how articulate it is down low. But then it gets annoying, I've spent a lot of time on a fxt90 that my friend owns (we've traded our iems for a couple of days too).

I like the FRD80 better. Is more controlled.

As far as comfort goes, my friend insists that he finds the fxt90 more comfortable, while I insist the frd80 is more comfortable.

it just seems so much well made. If I'd show the FRD80 and the FXT90 to a person who doesn't know the prices, they'd say that the FRD80 is more expensive.

Idk.

By the end, I like to believe that neither is a better iem, they're for different people. But overall, if you consider sound and aesthetics, I'd say that the FRD80 makes for a better purchase.

More than everything, I think you should upgrade to the fxt90 not because its tempting, but if you're unsatisfied with the frd80. Note: there are things that frd80 is better at. Idk. thats how I 'think'. Only if I can pinpoint what don't like about a particular iem (and often this is only achieved by trying out a better iem) is when I consider upgrading.

May 20, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #1,778 of 1,936
  Eh, the bassy soundsignature of the fxt90 isn't worth it. Its a great 'wow' iem, initially, it'll blow your mind with how articulate it is down low. But then it gets annoying, I've spent a lot of time on a fxt90 that my friend owns (we've traded our iems for a couple of days too).

I like the FRD80 better. Is more controlled.

As far as comfort goes, my friend insists that he finds the fxt90 more comfortable, while I insist the frd80 is more comfortable.

it just seems so much well made. If I'd show the FRD80 and the FXT90 to a person who doesn't know the prices, they'd say that the FRD80 is more expensive.

Idk.

By the end, I like to believe that neither is a better iem, they're for different people. But overall, if you consider sound and aesthetics, I'd say that the FRD80 makes for a better purchase.

More than everything, I think you should upgrade to the fxt90 not because its tempting, but if you're unsatisfied with the frd80. Note: there are things that frd80 is better at. Idk. thats how I 'think'. Only if I can pinpoint what don't like about a particular iem (and often this is only achieved by trying out a better iem) is when I consider upgrading.

i just find that the frd 80 is a too cold sounding, the mids are clear but really unnatural and bit too laid back imo. especially that lower midrange theres something about that

just imo i never meant to imply the fxt90 is a "better iem" just meant i'm tempted 

Jun 20, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #1,779 of 1,936
I thought I would give my first impressions to the thread seeing as I've found lots of useful and well written opinions on the website myself! (thank you guys and girls) So... I bought a pair of JVC FRD80.  I was looking also at the Sony XB90, Sony XBA-H1 and these little beauties. But in the end, the microphone on these JVCs, and the great price of £26 had me choosing these.

I'll keep it short, but basically the fit of these is good - they're smaller than I thought they would be, and also lighter than I was expecting. The silicon earbuds / tips are nice, but I'm yet to find out if replacement tips will fit, as they appear to be a tiny bit larger than other Sony/Nokia/Pioneer eartips that I have used (bigger at the end that attaches to the earphone - the sizing for your ear is normal).

Really good quality earphones overall. Better cable than I have had on other JVC earphones. I think they look the business too!

Most importantly, the sound: It's really rich sound with excellent bass delivery (not muddy or soft) - nice smooth mids and detailed high notes. I always use Adele's "Set fire to the rain" as a test track as it has a huge range of sounds. The song sounded the best I have heard in a long while, picking up on all the detail....and every nuance of Adele's fab vocals. The bass guitar is a bit recessed in that song, but that is nit picking on an otherwise excellent sound. I've tried Jazz, Pop, Progressive House, Swing Hop...and Adele - they all sound brilliant. They are a little "warm" sounding... less "analytical" than my Sennheiser PX360...but they stlil pick up all the little details and are an easy listen.

I have on order a pair of much more expensive Audiofly AF78 earphones - I'm now seriously wondering if I should have bought them!

Jun 20, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #1,780 of 1,936
  I thought I would give my first impressions to the thread seeing as I've found lots of useful and well written opinions on the website myself! (thank you guys and girls) So... I bought a pair of JVC FRD80.  I was looking also at the Sony XB90, Sony XBA-H1 and these little beauties. But in the end, the microphone on these JVCs, and the great price of £26 had me choosing these.

I'll keep it short, but basically the fit of these is good - they're smaller than I thought they would be, and also lighter than I was expecting. The silicon earbuds / tips are nice, but I'm yet to find out if replacement tips will fit, as they appear to be a tiny bit larger than other Sony/Nokia/Pioneer eartips that I have used (bigger at the end that attaches to the earphone - the sizing for your ear is normal).

Really good quality earphones overall. Better cable than I have had on other JVC earphones. I think they look the business too!

Most importantly, the sound: It's really rich sound with excellent bass delivery (not muddy or soft) - nice smooth mids and detailed high notes. I always use Adele's "Set fire to the rain" as a test track as it has a huge range of sounds. The song sounded the best I have heard in a long while, picking up on all the detail....and every nuance of Adele's fab vocals. The bass guitar is a bit recessed in that song, but that is nit picking on an otherwise excellent sound. I've tried Jazz, Pop, Progressive House, Swing Hop...and Adele - they all sound brilliant. They are a little "warm" sounding... less "analytical" than my Sennheiser PX360...but they stlil pick up all the little details and are an easy listen.

I have on order a pair of much more expensive Audiofly AF78 earphones - I'm now seriously wondering if I should have bought them!

i have actually made simple mod in my review, that you can use basically any replacement tips, be sure to check it out here! hope it helps!

Jun 21, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #1,782 of 1,936
I am a huge fan of jvc CNT micro driver IEM's but not because of the newer fxd series. I actually bought the old fxc51 off of amazon a few years ago based on nothing more than a hunch. I really enjoyed them. They fit so good and sounded great. I never bothered burning them in i jusy used the heck outta of them daily. I still use them to this day and will always compare them to any other IEM that buy. Seriously guys, for all of you CNT fans out there, do yourself a favor and get idea of where all of the CNT tech began. From what i gather, the fxc51 was the first CNT jvc phone!
I Bought the fxd70 about 4 months ago based on my love for the fxc51, expecting a direct improvement. In short I feel that it is a direct downgrade. The soundstage is crazy narrow and the overall sound is very boring. I would guess it has something to do with the closed back design on the fxd70. Now I'm wanting to try the fxd80 in hopes that the open back will be what I was looking for... I am still completely happy with the fxc51 but I love the design and overall appeal of the CNT line that I can't resist trying the newer line. Fxd80, please do not disappoint!!

Jun 24, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #1,783 of 1,936
I am a huge fan of jvc CNT micro driver IEM's but not because of the newer fxd series. I actually bought the old fxc51 off of amazon a few years ago based on nothing more than a hunch. I really enjoyed them. They fit so good and sounded great. I never bothered burning them in i jusy used the heck outta of them daily. I still use them to this day and will always compare them to any other IEM that buy. Seriously guys, for all of you CNT fans out there, do yourself a favor and get idea of where all of the CNT tech began. From what i gather, the fxc51 was the first CNT jvc phone!
I Bought the fxd70 about 4 months ago based on my love for the fxc51, expecting a direct improvement. In short I feel that it is a direct downgrade. The soundstage is crazy narrow and the overall sound is very boring. I would guess it has something to do with the closed back design on the fxd70. Now I'm wanting to try the fxd80 in hopes that the open back will be what I was looking for... I am still completely happy with the fxc51 but I love the design and overall appeal of the CNT line that I can't resist trying the newer line. Fxd80, please do not disappoint!!

I've had a couple of months on my frd80 now, and I've recently had the chance to try the fxd70, and I found the fxd70 to be quite a bit worse. 

Mostly, you'll notice how much nicer and more natural the decay and the step response. Idk, maybe because its open, but any of the "punchy" sounds that you hear, are not only punchy, but they decay nicely, in an assertive, forceful yet smooth manner. This was a lot more round and rubbery on the fxd70

Jun 24, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #1,785 of 1,936
Hello all,

I have bought JVC ha-Frd80. I have some problems with fitting. I used to have brainwavz m2 and now currently have ATH cks-90 . but The metal tip of JVD iem seems too big in my ear. S and M silicone tips seem not to be comfortable enough in my ear channel. it hurts within minutes. I try to use the L tip but it also hurts and It does not fit very good. I had to push it through my ear channel and it hurts after an hour. I tried to use the over ear, but it did not work well either. any recommandations for memory foam tips? complys or any other cheap foams?
Thank you for keeping this forum. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back