JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60
Oct 5, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #1,216 of 1,936
I've been using the CKM500 for a few weeks now, and they are excellent value for the money, but I have gained some interest in trying out these carbon nanotubes.  The FXD70 is one of the models I'm looking at, I have a fairly good idea on how it will sound based on the impressions in this thread, but I need to know something about the soundstage.

One of the things I like about the CKM500 is the way it presents the sound, I can hear layers of instruments and it has good width and depth.  So, for those that own both the CKM500 and FXD70, how does the soundstage compare?  I've seen comments saying that it isn't the biggest and it can sound congested because it is not vented, but the comparisons were not made with the CKM500 in mind. 

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I know that the FXD80 will probably have a better soundstage than the CKM500 but it is not within my budget.

Oct 5, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #1,217 of 1,936
Quote:
I've been using the CKM500 for a few weeks now, and they are excellent value for the money, but I have gained some interest in trying out these carbon nanotubes.  The FXD70 is one of the models I'm looking at, I have a fairly good idea on how it will sound based on the impressions in this thread, but I need to know something about the soundstage.

One of the things I like about the CKM500 is the way it presents the sound, I can hear layers of instruments and it has good width and depth.  So, for those that own both the CKM500 and FXD70, how does the soundstage compare?  I've seen comments saying that it isn't the biggest and it can sound congested because it is not vented, but the comparisons were not made with the CKM500 in mind. 

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I know that the FXD80 will probably have a better soundstage than the CKM500 but it is not within my budget.

The D70 will sound more congested than the M500 and D80 for obvious reasons.  But, the D70 does not sound congested when not compared.  You will hear instrument separation and the details the music is presenting but it will sound more like you are closer to the musicians.  Don't expect the vocals to be up front as with the M500's but it's there, just few feet back.  I believe the D70 presents a tighter more precise presentation but the D80 has more air and is better layered.  Both the FXD's are better at details than the M500 IMO.  If you thoroughly enjoy the soundstage of the M500 and might be disappointed if it's on a lesser scale, I'd jump to the D80.  It's one of the main reasons that I prefer the D80 over the D70.

Oct 5, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #1,219 of 1,936
@DannyBai - thanks for your reply, I will give it some thought.  I may have to save up for the FXD80.

@sinquito - in my country, the D80 is over double the price of the D70, if it was only $20 more, then my decision would be made easier.

Oct 5, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #1,220 of 1,936
Quote:
@DannyBai - thanks for your reply, I will give it some thought.  I may have to save up for the FXD80.

@sinquito - in my country, the D80 is over double the price of the D70, if it was only $20 more, then my decision would be made easier.

I can't remember the last time I bought a iem locally, try ebay, I bet the seller will ship to your country, most of them do ship to Mexico which is far away from Japan and has a lousy mail system.

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #1,221 of 1,936
Sorry if this was already asked, but can anyone compare the fxd80 to the xb90ex, or the s500?

Looking for a portable movie phone with occasional music. Which one has a more spacious soundstage with a large amount of bass that never intrudes mids or high.

If not any of those three, which one would any of you recommend? 

Thanks!

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #1,222 of 1,936

Looking for a portable movie phone

The FXD80 is one of the ultimate IEM's for movies, and it's portable!

The 'black levels' i.e sonic contrast, the detail finesse like wind, and the hard hitting bass are all quite cinematic I think.

For example watch this clip with the FXD80, use high volume, wait until around 1:30 then you'll hear it!

1080P for best sound.

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #1,223 of 1,936
Quote:

The FXD80 is one of the ultimate IEM's for movies, and it's portable!

The 'black levels' i.e sonic contrast, the detail finesse like wind, and the hard hitting bass are all quite cinematic I think.

For example watch this clip with the FXD80, use high volume, wait until around 1:30 then you'll hear it!

1080P for best sound.

Lol !  ...thats one funny HK movie staring Steven Chow.    he made a sequel, Kung Fu Gamble, I think.

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #1,224 of 1,936
Lol !  ...thats one funny HK movie staring Steven Chow.    he made a sequel, Kung Fu Gamble, I think.

Didn't know there was a sequel! Must watch...

I'm already missing the FXD80. I wish I would've watched more movies with it.

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #1,225 of 1,936
Quote:

eh..............NO, HELL NO.  LMAO Ghost you were right on the money with these S400s but don't push your luck.  
bigsmile_face.gif

I wish the sequel was out already, he sure is taking his sweet time with it. T__T

Oct 8, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #1,226 of 1,936
Quote:
eh..............NO, HELL NO.  LMAO Ghost you were right on the money with these S400s but don't push your luck.  
bigsmile_face.gif

I wish the sequel was out already, he sure is taking his sweet time with it. T__T

You're right, I got them mixed up.
confused.gif

Went and dug up my pile of old DVDs and found:

(1) Shaolin Soccer (Steven Chow)   ...before Kung Fu hustle?
(2) Kung Fu Mahjong   ...(No Steven Chow but the same 'others' actors)

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #1,227 of 1,936
Quote:

confused.gif

L.............O...............L...............Z  Hey ghost are you a big Chow fan??? Just curious that's all. You like Chow Fun?
wink_face.gif
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 9, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #1,228 of 1,936
Quote:

confused.gif

I actually liked Shaolin Soccer, Steve Chow kicks but :wink:

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #1,230 of 1,936
Quote:
L.............O...............L...............Z  Hey ghost are you a big Chow fan??? Just curious that's all. You like Chow Fun?
wink_face.gif
tongue_smile.gif

Ermm, not really, I think he over acts his roles but in a comedy, he's forgiven.
Kung Fu Hustle's one darn funny movie cause of all the other actors, believe it or not, that landlady kinda reminds me of my mum (Bless her soul)

Chow Fun ?    ...you mean Chow Yun Fat ?   ...yeah ! now that's an actor, convincing in every role he took on. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back