JVC HP-DX1000 review
Sep 20, 2005 at 1:17 PM Post #16 of 33
Very nice job, Alex. Your efforts are very much appreciated.

Given the uniqueness of the JVC's, it seems like it was a difficult review to write, as it doesn't compare directly or oppositely of any existing headphone on all fronts. I wanna hear a pair myself.

Sep 20, 2005 at 1:30 PM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

It seems like they would be lovely cans for female jazz vocalists with multi-layered "big band" backdrops.

I really feel the DX1000 thrives on jazz pieces, especially slow songs. It's has a seductive presentation that I was never able to find on a 010, CD3000, or HD650. Surprisingly, I also feel these things thrive on trance music depsite its mellow and laid back sound signature.

Sep 20, 2005 at 1:39 PM Post #18 of 33
Thanks for the great review, ayt999!
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

bye
Andrea

Sep 20, 2005 at 7:38 PM Post #21 of 33
Great comparative review, Alex. The writing, the formatting, the comparisons and the pix. Just a very easy and interesting read.

thx, - walk

Sep 26, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #23 of 33
Alex,
Thanks for a very impressive review. So where does the JVC ranks among your headphones?

Oct 12, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #24 of 33
Just saw this very interesting review. These are very pretty, but they don't seem well configured to compete with the top ATH woodies given the price.
Really good reviews help protect the 'ol wallet!
icon10.gif

Oct 12, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #25 of 33
Don't understand that comment? The top of the line AT woodies are twice the price, and in Soupy's review, he quite clearly says that the JVC's beat the lower end AT woody to his ears (W-1000). It seems quite a testament to these cans that they are being reviewed against some of the most expensive and sought after cans ever made.

Anyway, you're going to get more impressions from me, as I just bought them off him!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #26 of 33
compared to the W2002 which went for around the same price they perform well IMO. I probably should have spent more time comparing it to the woodies in its price range and below, but I wasn't that interested in doing so.
biggrin.gif

so how about an L3000 daycart1?
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Don't understand that comment?

Anyway, you're going to get more impressions from me, as I just bought them off him!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Just speaking for myself; of course I didn't mean to wet blanket your acquisition.

And I was thinking that one could coax out a pair of the 2002 for considerably less--I could be wrong about that.

I'm looking
smily_headphones1.gif
forward to your review, too, Sloth!

Oct 15, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #28 of 33
These arrived today. In excellent condition, thanks ayt999. I'm not really sure what to say about them right now, except that they sure are different. Very nice build quality, and they feel excellent on your head - I just saw myself in the mirror and they are HUGE, with their nice squishy leather pads. They are definitely prettier in person than in photographs, unlike many headphones, and certainly look 'high end'. The cable is wonderful, and reminds me of what one expects from an expensive upgrade cable. Looking at it next to my stock Senn. cable makes the Senn. look like a joke.

I'm still trying to understand the sound. It's tonal balance is different to anything I've ever heard. I agree it has a somewhat forward midrange, and the rest rather warm and mellow - though not lacking in detail or punch. I'm still experimenting with head positioning etc. to see what effect that has on the sound, and listening through my different reference recordings. It is more speaker-in-a-room like than any other headphone I've heard, tonally, which you might consider a good or bad thing. I'm also waiting for it to warm up, literally, as it was waiting in my building's mail room which was rather cold - the frame and wood cups feel quite cold to the touch.

More useful impressions to follow this evening - I'll keep them running throughout the day.

Edit: wondering if I should start a new thread, as I'm not sure how many people are going to bother to get to the bottom of this one...

Oct 24, 2005 at 11:16 AM Post #30 of 33
hi ken - nice to see that people are still finding this review and taking the time to read it. thanks for your comments.

I hope more people get to hear them at meets or something. their sound signature is quite unique so I still wouldn't recommend a blind purchase though, even with the reviews we have on them which IMO express their characteristics very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back