JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite!
Jun 21, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #241 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by rogue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got mine in yesterday. Ordered Monday from PriceJapan, they shipped them out (DHL) on Tuesday - not bad at all considering the distance involved.

Initial impressions are very favorable - they do indeed sound very similar to the HD-650's (which is what I was hoping for!) but they improve upon them significantly in a number of areas, including transient response (i.e PRAT), bass extension (not quantity though, as it seems to be about the same), and even soundstage. The bass in particular is incredible - clean, deep, and realistic (to me anyway).

The mid-range 'honkiness' does exist, and was a little off-putting at first, but I forgot about it after 30 minutes of listening. I've found that well-recorded live albums (Dire Straits - On the Night & Nirvana's Unplugged) sound incredible on these phones, and really get you involved in the music (which is as it should be, I suppose
wink.gif
).

Overall, I have a feeling these will be a keeper, that is until Senn. finally releases the HD700's.

Can any DX1000 owners out there tell me how long these guys need to fully burn in?

Very interesting impressions and glad you're enjoying them. I love mine, though having moved to a balanced setup I'm trying to decide whether to have them reterminated/recabled or let them go in favour of a more orthodox balanced can -- has anyone here balanced their DX1000s? If so, what were the changes that came with balanced drive?

best,

o

Jul 1, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #242 of 3,142
Whelp, I just placed an order through PriceJapan.

Man, I hope these don't take long to arrive.

I'm so excited!

Jul 1, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #243 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whelp, I just placed an order through PriceJapan.

Man, I hope these don't take long to arrive.

I'm so excited!

Cool - I'd really like to hear these (especially in comparison to my Markl-modded D5000s which should arrive in a week or so). You should come to the next Sydney meet
biggrin.gif
What are you planning on running them out of?

Jul 1, 2008 at 7:53 AM Post #244 of 3,142
hmm, how'd I manage to miss this thread?...especially when I was the second one to take the plunge (and the first to get a lemon DX1000)
smily_headphones1.gif

After having traded them for the W5k's, I kinda miss them now. I always said they had a certain charm to them. Glad to see lots of others are seeing the greatness of this underrated phone!

Jul 1, 2008 at 8:47 AM Post #246 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool - I'd really like to hear these (especially in comparison to my Markl-modded D5000s which should arrive in a week or so). You should come to the next Sydney meet
biggrin.gif
What are you planning on running them out of?

For the meantime they'll be plugged into a Headamp Pico and the headphone output of my Marantz SR-9600 A/V receiver.

Funds permitting, I plan to get a good home amp at the end of the year. Maybe something like a Woo Audio 6SE.

Jul 11, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #247 of 3,142
Quote:

For the meantime they'll be plugged into a Headamp Pico and the headphone output of my Marantz SR-9600 A/V receiver.

Funds permitting, I plan to get a good home amp at the end of the year. Maybe something like a Woo Audio 6SE.

FWIW, I driving mine with a Cayin HA-1A with great success -- the synergy between them is amazing. In fact, I'd say this is the best headphone rig I've ever heard, easily besting my Graham Slee Solo/K701 system.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #248 of 3,142
Sounds good.

Mine arrived yesterday and I'm currently running them in.

Initial impressions: fantastic.

I own a pair of Focal/JM Lab Electra 1007Be speakers (the ones with the beryllium tweeters) and my JVCs are way more detailed, with richer, deeper bass.

Also, amongst the best representations of kickdrums I've ever heard.

Whoever said these aren't suited to Metal/Rock are mad.

I can't wait 'till they've had over a 100 hours of burn-in time with 'em.

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:18 PM Post #249 of 3,142
Congrats! And I agree with everything you said
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:36 PM Post #250 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and Cool_Torpedo, I also have read you have the Markl D5000. How would you compare the two headphones?

I guess I placed my confidence in "Markl" - who had the "big 3" (Ed9s, DX1000s, and the D5000s)... and... ended up selling the Ed9s, and DX1000s to focus on the D5000s. That seemed to "make a statement" to me.

So... you might want to PM "Markl" for his thoughts on it. I don't think he ever made many comments in his posts comparing all of these, except that he was very impressed with the D5000s, compared to the R10s... and... he sold the others.

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #251 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I placed my confidence in "Markl" - who had the "big 3" (Ed9s, DX1000s, and the D5000s)... and... ended up selling the Ed9s, and DX1000s to focus on the D5000s. That seemed to "make a statement" to me.

So... you might want to PM "Markl" for his thoughts on it. I don't think he ever made many comments in his posts comparing all of these, except that he was very impressed with the D5000s, compared to the R10s... and... he sold the others.

If I'm getting my thoughts right, those 3 headphones have similar sound signatures... especially the wealth of bass they spill out? I think Markl enjoys the low-end a lot from reading his reviews; especially the way how he loved the L3000 behind the R10. [I particularly enjoy reading it because I know I'm a basshead too
biggrin.gif
]

All I'm saying is I think he did the D5000 mod to get the best of both worlds. Get some refinery of the R10's and the punch of the L3000. I suspect if he had the chance he would own the R10, L3000 and his modded D5000 at the same time
cool.gif
(maybe all 5... including ed9 and dx 1000
biggrin.gif
)

Jul 11, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #252 of 3,142
Quote:

Whoever said these aren't suited to Metal/Rock are mad.

Agree on that

*currently listening to Pantera's "Vulgar Display of Power" on DX1000*
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #253 of 3,142
I just received two pair of the JVC HP DX1000 cans along with a Project headphone amplifier. I am not a head phone guy but wanted to give these a try. So far, just a day into them and listening to them via my daughers MP3 player (with full rez. files) and via my portable Headroom amp (really just to see if I could drive these cans with this set-up), these are some great sounding headphones. That being said, I am not a hi-end headphone guy. I have owned a pair of Grado (toward the bottom of their line), a pair of portable Senheisers and some etomotic canal phones with custom ear inserts. I would hope and expect the JVCs to sound much better than all of the above and let me tell you they do.

B/c I can't compare them to other high end cans, it would not be fair for me to try. But I can compare them to my main system, which is a pretty good stereo consisting of: Opus 21 with GNSC mods and also a EMM Labs CDSD and DAC 6e going into an Aesthetix Calypso preamp with upgraded NOS tubes, into a Krell FPB 300C amp and then on to Wilson W/P speakers. All connected via Transparent Super or Ultra cables (except the EMM labs which are tethered via the EMM custom cables designed for these units).

The cans are great, good balance throughout, extremely/dead quiet, fairly comfortable (but big). I am not sure I can fairly critique the sound stage as I have never found headphone listening to have the same kind of sound stage as via speakers. Perhaps I just hear things differently to compare the depth and width in headphones that I can hear in my "out loud" system. But there is a layering and depth to the instruments that I never realized one could get with headphones previously.

In my novice opinion, they are great headphones. If there are others out there that are a lot better, I would be scared to hear them!

Jul 14, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #254 of 3,142
Greetings fellow sound geeks
biggrin.gif

I have the ATH-A900ti, which I'm not happy with. I find it to be too painful on muted trumpets and cymbals, as well as to thin sounding on female vocals. I liked the HD650's, but they were not quite there. Too muffled maybe? I've just ordered the JVC HP-DX1000 from Pricejapan. I've also ordered a Bada PH-12 on Ebay. Would that be a good match? I like deep bass, smooth, silky treble and warm, earthy vocals. I listen to artists like; Miles Davis, Imogen Heap, Dave Weckl, Pat Metheny, Rush and Branford Marsalis. I also love classical music.

Jul 15, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #255 of 3,142
What's the suggested running in time on these?

I've got about 50 hours on these so far and the treble is still really hard and a bit sharp.

100 hours?
200 hours?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back