JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite!
Oct 22, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #3,001 of 3,142
About The cup colour. Mine is definately more brown than red. I't is very early production number so this adds to the assumption that older ones are more brown.

About pads... I have not tried any proper replacement pads but I experemented with Philips SBC hp890 pads. Less bass, brighter sound as is usually the case with velour earpads. So not at proper replacement but worth a shot If one wants to try something new for cheap. Used hp890 should not cost much More than $30. I assume hp840 pads would also fit but just by looking at the pictures hp890 pads are much better quality.

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #3,002 of 3,142
About pads... I have not tried any proper replacement pads but I experemented with Philips SBC hp890 pads.
Nice coincidence ... HP890 is one of the only pads I tried out while pad-rolling, since it's one of the only pads I have that'll actually fit on it, and I was also pleasantly surprised that it didn't negatively affect the sound.
It's very different, practically a different headphone, but tonality-wise extremely listenable.
I could try out the 840 pads at some point.. they seem to be identical to SHP2000 pads, which I do have somewhere.

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #3,003 of 3,142
Nice coincidence ... HP890 is one of the only pads I tried out while pad-rolling, since it's one of the only pads I have that'll actually fit

Same here, very hard to find pads that fit on dx1000. I was using the hp890 on audio technica w1000x when I got The idea to try them on jvc's.

Would Be nice to find a proper pad replacement. Mine are allready in pretty Bad shape. Besides audeze maybe something by mr.speaker? Or stax maybe?

Affordable option would Be nice though. If only they made hm5 pads in larger size. Those can Be stretch to fit on allmost anything, large audio technicas, beyerdynamics and akg but not not on dx1000..

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #3,004 of 3,142
This is certainly something I forgot to consider when I purchased this headphone :D
I'll try to make my own set of pads. If I'm successful I'll post it up for sure.

Nov 3, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #3,005 of 3,142
Jesus christ I love these headphones. I've been switching between HPDX1000 and the TH 900 a lot lately (with some time going to denon ah-d5000 and hd650) and honestly the HPDX1000 is a clear step above all my other headphones when I just stop thinking about technicalities and listen to what I enjoy the most. I think in overall detail the HPDX1000 is up there, while the TH 900 is crisper/airier etc by a wide degree - but it just can't match the HPDX1000 in 90% of genres in terms of pure euphoric enjoyment.

Nov 6, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #3,006 of 3,142
I have to agree with @AudioThief . It's been a while since I've compared Dx1000 to anything with similar price. However, today I got Rs2e. It is cheaper than dx1000 but fits the over $500 sub $1000 price bracket. Not really a contest. Grados do sound cleaner in a way. And sometimes grados sound way off. But In general grados sound "small" compared to JVC. It is really like a rock concert compared to a radio on your kitchen table. JVC's have have easily double the soundstage and all in all that HUGE sound which no headphone can mimic. Well...maybe hd800 but way hd800 does it is not coherent. Imo it is just music scattered in a large space where as JVC brings it all together making it sound HUGE. HUGE, word of the day :p

I got HE400i coming in next week. Doubt it makes a difference. I have previously auditioned those with Dx1000 and it was a no go for hifimans. What is more interesting I'll be getting a headphile modded akg K340. Some have said it has very musical midrange, with good soundstage. Sound familiar? :) Maybe akg's turn out to be a worthy challenger? :)

Nov 6, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #3,007 of 3,142
I have to agree with @AudioThief . It's been a while since I've compared Dx1000 to anything with similar price. However, today I got Rs2e. It is cheaper than dx1000 but fits the over $500 sub $1000 price bracket. Not really a contest. Grados do sound cleaner in a way. And sometimes grados sound way off. But In general grados sound "small" compared to JVC. It is really like a rock concert compared to a radio on your kitchen table. JVC's have have easily double the soundstage and all in all that HUGE sound which no headphone can mimic. Well...maybe hd800 but way hd800 does it is not coherent. Imo it is just music scattered in a large space where as JVC brings it all together making it sound HUGE. HUGE, word of the day :p

I got HE400i coming in next week. Doubt it makes a difference. I have previously auditioned those with Dx1000 and it was a no go for hifimans. What is more interesting I'll be getting a headphile modded akg K340. Some have said it has very musical midrange, with good soundstage. Sound familiar? :) Maybe akg's turn out to be a worthy challenger? :)

Yup!

I mean, both Denon AH-D5000, TH 900 and actually also the HD650 are technically more impressive.. With better seperation/clarity. Especially for D5K and TH 900, much much airier / clearer. But HPDX1000 just has no critical flaws. Overall detail retrieval is fantastic, they sound awesome with ALL genres (imo, although it loses to say th 900 for in some genres for instance). Just no weaknesses.

Actually I have gotten the urge lately to expand my collection a bit. I want to look into the Audio Technica headphones. But I know that technicalities for me is probably not interesting. I think TH 900 does that for me. I want something with SOUL, something UNIQUE just like the HPDX1000 is. Anyone have any recommendations ? I am a sucker for japanese wooden headphones (in case you couldn't tell), thats why Im looking at AT headphones.

Nov 7, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #3,009 of 3,142
AudioThief, try to hear the Audio Technica W3000ANV

They seem very hard to get a hold of. Especially for me living in Norway :frowning2:

Nov 13, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #3,010 of 3,142
GUYS!

WHY? ? ?

ARE THESE NOT MORE TALKED ABOUT?

I keep going to my TH 900s, HD650s, D5Ks.. And I keep coming back to the JVCs! I SWEAR they are as resolving and detailed as the HD650 if not more, much more impactful, they feel super dynamic while laid back at the same time - they are just absolutely FABULOUS! I don't understand why there is so little information about these magnificient headhpones on the internet ? Can someone explain ?!

Nov 13, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #3,011 of 3,142
They were never for sale directly in the US market, which automatically makes them less appealing to almost everyone. There was never a warranty out here. You break them, you're screwed, and they're not cheap. If they'd sold them in the States and they had a warranty, a lot more people would have taken the leap to try them.

As I type, I'm wearing super rare JVC HA-DX2000s that cost $1500, have no warranty, and aren't easy to repair if something goes wrong. But they sound glorious.

Using the Sonic Frontiers SFD-1 MKII SE+ (modded) and Eddie Current Super 7+ (modded), the DX2000 has been receiving considerably more head time than my beloved Sennheiser HD650 (also modded) for the past week.

I basically let myself use the DX2K even though I knew I'd have pre-seller's remorse (I should sell them for the cash but...). And now there's a good chance I'll just hang onto them until they stop working. Money be damned.

They are, in my mind, the best basshead headphones around. Amazing sub-bass without bloated upper bass. Excellent detail, great soundstage, engaging and romantic sound signature. They can't shake your head like a JVC SZ2000 or Taction KANNON, but they're still visceral in the delivery of the low end.

Nov 14, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #3,012 of 3,142
Also replacement ear pads are insanely difficult to acquire.
I recently contacted JVC Europe directly, and got a response from a JVC distributer in Germany telling me that a replacement set of pads would cost around 95 Euros.... -__- ($110)

Then there's the long, well documented history of headbands breaking apart at the plastic joints.
Which reminds me, I wonder if someone has already designed 3D-printable parts for thingiverse or the like?

But I'm also in full agreement. These are probably the most exciting headphones I've ever owned, and quite possibly ever heard. The bass is just completely seductive and never overwhelms or bleeds over the rest.

Nov 14, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #3,013 of 3,142
If any owners of JVC/Victor HP/HA-DX1000, 2000, 700 have a friend with a 3D PRINTER...please...please ask if they would make the small simple piece we all need for the headband.

The fotos & description are in this thread. We would locate the posts for you if needed.

Many pieces would sell, as we all would buy 2 plus extras to have on hand for future. A tougher plastic could be used too, in the printing.

A niche market, but the fabricator could sell a lot of these small pieces which should be a breeze to make. His time would be compensated & worthwhile his effort.

Can see this easily happening, it's just when & hopefully soon (we're all getting older ! lol). Many of us are relying on duct-tape for now.

Question : Are any of these models still made currently anywhere in the world ? Has been rumor of discontinuation, not sure if true. Some online places are selling brand new units, unless it's warehouse inventory selling off each of these model types (2000, 1000, 700).

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #3,015 of 3,142
Here is the photo from this thread -
pic a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back