JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite!
Sep 16, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #2,971 of 3,142
Well, they now sound something diferent from this impression below [after of the third time of using them (i use them the saturdays and sometimes (something rarely) in the sundays to watch movies)].
The bass (subbass and mid sub bass) has lessened. It doesn´t have that subwoofer effect that i described below (which i don´t like much). Now the sub and mid subbass sound below my T90 special edition and DT880 Special edition in intensity and presence (1/2 to 2/3 from original). But the good news is that the hollowness in the midrange is very almost gone (95% gone), and the sound is less congested and agile. They sound better now (especially In the piano test (Playing metalica - Master of puppets in Zurich, february 19 2011 in youtube) without that hollowness)
But the sound is less engaging as consecuency of losing that amount of bass. The detail in the bass is less than my DT990 with T90,drivers, and T90 special edition.
The rest is almost the same (i think).

Well after of listening to them today with the test what i do, i can conclude the next.
They sound as a very good subwoofer (a controlled one). They are very present in the mid-sub bass and subbass (from 90 hz - 10 hz), and `less´ pressent on 100 hz-160, and almost very present 160-250 (upper midbass-upper bass). The bass reverberates when there is lows and very lows frecuencies, in a very good way!
They are a very engaging headphone, and very detailed in the bass and mids, and in some places in the highs too (Some MP3 sounds very bad), but the midrange sounds something off (female vocals (not all, but various of them, specially in classical songs), male not much) as hollow. The piano notes (not all) sound also something off. The upper midrange is very forward, but in a good way (I like it, is very engaging)
They have a present highs (not lacking at all) with very good sparkle, and a little darker in tonal character compared with my other headphones, but is good for that they are (completelly closed with faux leather and not velours)
They have good separation and positioning and very good image, and speed!
They sound excellent and very engaging with anime (Openings - endings, anime musical vids) of very good quality, and with some Jpop, dubstep, EDM, trance, etc
They have the soundstage similar to most of my headphones in size (Very good size ), included open ones.
And they are very beautifull too.
Definitively the most musical of all my headphones (They win over my DT880 special edition an T90 special edition)

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #2,973 of 3,142
Sorry. I did some corrections in my spelling (i had some errors); I am not native english speaker.
In other hand, the headpnones doesn´t have modifications (well, i haven´t opened them since i received them). The headphones sound almost similar with my two amps (maybe my V-DAC with Objetive 2 sound a little bassier in the low end)

Fortunatelly the headphones are sounding again as i wanted! (95% equal as i described previously here). i wanted that the sound were as that of the subwoofer (without it were very hollow)...

@Wilashort I don't understand what you're talking about. Can you please provide context? Did you modify the DX1000? Change your amp?

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #2,974 of 3,142
Hello guys,

Sorry for sneaking in and brake the flow of the thread.

I was absent from this thread so long because l spent a year living in Cambridge, MA, and had to leave my beloved JVCs behind (stored in a saaaaaafe place :wink: So now that l'm back, l wanted to share with you my absolute thrill when, after allll this time away from them, l finally had them back on my hands.

l 'survived' all this time on a pair of Beyers DT-770 and HD-650s (connected to an old Fiio X3). That's been my audio set up for longer than a year! (l also got the Shozy Zero, now that l remember...) You know, after a while surviving in the aforementioned gear, l thought to myself, "Why would l spend so much money on audio stuff if l can happily live on this." l would soon know why...

l waited to be settled, to have a home again - l didn't want anything getting in my way while unboxing my JVCs again... Two weeks after moving to the new place, l determined the day. l waited for the night (l 'put my wife to bed' :grin:) and then, it was just me and them: carefully, for the second time since l bought them in Tokyo, l unboxed the DX-1000.

l first tried them with my Fiio X3. l wanted the HPs to be the only difference (in comparison to the gear l had become accustomed to). OMG, that bass. To my ears (similar to how l once described it), it's like in a good speaker system, where the subwoofer fills the room and you can't tell where it's placed but, the moment you turn it off, there's a drastic change in the sound. Likewise, this bass is 'surrounding the music'; it's everywhere, yet it doesn't interfere with the rest. l absolutely love it. l spent many hours of the night listening to the DX-1k.

Then, a week later, it was unboxing time again. l had to test whether l did well buying a good amp, or l threw my money on smoke: it was time to unbox my Audio-GD Reference 10.32.

All l can say is, if you're in London, come and listen to this combo for yourself. lf l were to use smileys to describe my sensation while listening to them, this would it: :L3000:+:darthsmile: l still haven't got passed the bass, so l won't comment on mids/highs. l'm still tasting, analysing and completely enjoying the bass that comes out of this combo. Put it this way if you wish: l don't listen to the music, l listen to the bass. Don't get me wrong (l know JVC owners won't), it's not that bass is all over the place; it's just that it's so good that you just want to focus on it and follow it... you simply don't get tired of it. You change songs and are like, "Where's the bass? Here, oh... yes, let me feel that bass, let me hear the different tones and layers."

This is it for today! If l manage, l will update this post with a picture of the combo (at some point). l know that's missing.

Enjoy the Sunday!

Sep 18, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #2,976 of 3,142
Reported a rattle case of my HP-DX1000, I have two things to share with you guys.
1. Bought the last pair of brand new HA-DX2000 at around USD870 in the area. Beautiful appearance and amazing sounding.
2. When I tried to compare to my "rattled" HP-DX1000, this guy now never rattle again! This means that I am having two pairs of wooden headphones now!

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #2,977 of 3,142
Hello guys,

Sorry for sneaking in and brake the flow of the thread.

I was absent from this thread so long because l spent a year living in Cambridge, MA, and had to leave my beloved JVCs behind (stored in a saaaaaafe place :wink: So now that l'm back, l wanted to share with you my absolute thrill when, after allll this time away from them, l finally had them back on my hands.

l 'survived' all this time on a pair of Beyers DT-770 and HD-650s (connected to an old Fiio X3). That's been my audio set up for longer than a year! (l also got the Shozy Zero, now that l remember...) You know, after a while surviving in the aforementioned gear, l thought to myself, "Why would l spend so much money on audio stuff if l can happily live on this." l would soon know why...

l waited to be settled, to have a home again - l didn't want anything getting in my way while unboxing my JVCs again... Two weeks after moving to the new place, l determined the day. l waited for the night (l 'put my wife to bed' :grin:) and then, it was just me and them: carefully, for the second time since l bought them in Tokyo, l unboxed the DX-1000.

l first tried them with my Fiio X3. l wanted the HPs to be the only difference (in comparison to the gear l had become accustomed to). OMG, that bass. To my ears (similar to how l once described it), it's like in a good speaker system, where the subwoofer fills the room and you can't tell where it's placed but, the moment you turn it off, there's a drastic change in the sound. Likewise, this bass is 'surrounding the music'; it's everywhere, yet it doesn't interfere with the rest. l absolutely love it. l spent many hours of the night listening to the DX-1k.

Then, a week later, it was unboxing time again. l had to test whether l did well buying a good amp, or l threw my money on smoke: it was time to unbox my Audio-GD Reference 10.32.

All l can say is, if you're in London, come and listen to this combo for yourself. lf l were to use smileys to describe my sensation while listening to them, this would it: :L3000:+:darthsmile: l still haven't got passed the bass, so l won't comment on mids/highs. l'm still tasting, analysing and completely enjoying the bass that comes out of this combo. Put it this way if you wish: l don't listen to the music, l listen to the bass. Don't get me wrong (l know JVC owners won't), it's not that bass is all over the place; it's just that it's so good that you just want to focus on it and follow it... you simply don't get tired of it. You change songs and are like, "Where's the bass? Here, oh... yes, let me feel that bass, let me hear the different tones and layers."

This is it for today! If l manage, l will update this post with a picture of the combo (at some point). l know that's missing.

Enjoy the Sunday!

This post made me laugh too hard :D

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #2,978 of 3,142
This is the picture of my pair
JVC%20HP-DX1000_zpsvsst5phv.jpg

In other hand, i see the interior to see why the sound sometimes is congested and hollow and i found the next
JVC%20HP-DX1000%20driver_zpsbfgkah5l.jpg

I don´t known why the driver has the exterior holes closed as it. I changed the orientation of the plate upwards (which changed the angle of the HP), so that the holes where fully open.
Sorry, i don´t have photos of the change of the angle of the HP.
Hope that you enjoy the picture of my Headphones

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #2,979 of 3,142
The result of the change of the angle is that the headphones sound a little more open and a little less congested and hollow, and the image seems not affected and neither the soundstage

P.S: The image of the headphone was in a higher resolution, but i don´t know why is resized, and the site where i have uploaded is a pain to use now (too much publicity, which make the charge slower)

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #2,980 of 3,142
What do you guys have for amplifiers btw? I currently run them through a norwegian amp called Atrox V2 which is a very powerful 20Wx2 solid state amp. The brother of a friend of mine owns a cary audio cad 300sei - I have never heard a tube amp, and this one is what 50 000 USD or something? So I am very hyped up to try it out. Only issue is, the guy doesn't use it and it needs new tubes. Should I offer to purchase the tubes for him and in return I get to borrow it? :D And maybe review the combination.

Sep 26, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #2,981 of 3,142
What do you guys have for amplifiers btw? I currently run them through a norwegian amp called Atrox V2 which is a very powerful 20Wx2 solid state amp. The brother of a friend of mine owns a cary audio cad 300sei - I have never heard a tube amp, and this one is what 50 000 USD or something? So I am very hyped up to try it out. Only issue is, the guy doesn't use it and it needs new tubes. Should I offer to purchase the tubes for him and in return I get to borrow it? :D And maybe review the combination.

Well, as l said l'm using the Audio GD - Reference 10.32...

lf you can afford the tubes, l would see it as an investment in entertainment. l mean, if you're looking forward to borrowing and having some great time with your friend's amp., then why not buying the tubes? l'd put it like when you spend some cash in an enjoyable activity (like, if you go on a weekend trip. In this case, you'd put the money on tubes and you'll stay home, yet you'll go on an 'audio trip').

My two cents! Let us know!

Sep 26, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #2,982 of 3,142
Have you recabled your JVCs for balanced operation?

Sep 26, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #2,983 of 3,142
I use first version of spl phonitor. Not The most logical choice going by The Specs. Output impedance is 9 so damping factor is not ideal. However I hear nothing that bothers me.

Amp itself doesn't make much sense anyway... only XLR inputs but no balanced headphone connection. There are XLR outputs but phonitor does not work as a pre-amp. Signal just passes through. Also you have to unplug the headphones when you shut down the amp because it' sends a some loud ringing noise when shut down. Not a faulty unit. Just how it is designed.

I know pretty much nothing about amps but by the little knowledge I have phonitor is a odd one. I think it is 320mw@32 ohms but 1.7W(!) At 600ohms. When I had 600ohm T1 I could leave the volume at say 10 o'clock and get about same volume when I switched to dx1000.

It's a bulky beast but I love the looks. Propably best looking solid state amp I've seen. Some say it looks hideous :)

What I love the most is the crossfeed function. I was never happy with any digital crossfeed plug ins but phonitor got me hooked. Can't live without crossfeed anymore.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #2,985 of 3,142
Goldpoint headphone pro is the best match I found. DX 1000 like neutral to if something slightly bright amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back