JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite!
Jun 23, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #106 of 3,142
Going to be hard to sleep tonight knowing my DX1000's arrive tomorrow! I'm equally as happy that the JVC's sound good with the Opera amp, which I was going to get even before I read that! Back on the forums for a week now after being absent for a few weeks has cost me almost 2k!
eek.gif

Jun 23, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #108 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Torske /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't the whole reason we listen to have fun?!? Having fun, I would posture, is the subconscious saying "This is RIGHT!", despite what the brain analyzes as objective differences or problems.

x2

There was a time when I spent too much money on gear that cost too much money and sounded boring (at best), or caused my ears to bleed with anything but the best audiophile recordings. True, with some recordings this gear sounded phenomenal, but that was usually with music I don't normally listen to
blink.gif

Now I want to have fun instead ......

Jun 24, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #109 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Torske /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't the whole reason we listen to have fun?!? Having fun, I would posture, is the subconscious saying "This is RIGHT!", despite what the brain analyzes as objective differences or problems. I listen to my other phones (except the HD650 for the most part), there is always something that takes my mind away from the music, but with the JVC, I just simply enjoy and have fun. [...]

Absolutely! That was my point. I just thought it important to confirm that I, too, have noticed that slight coloration. I was tipped off about it by others who posted on the DX1000, and I'm grateful to those reviewers, particularly Skylab, for letting me know that these phones are not in the clinically neutral category, but great nonetheless. If you're contemplating this kind of expenditure and turn to us for a review, we wanna make sure we're not misleading. I think this has been accomplished by the reviews in this thread.

Now, even if a piece of equipment, particularly transducers, can be "clinically neutral" (a big, big "if"), we should know better than to think that it will be the most fun, the most engaging. However obvious that may be to me now, I was once swayed by promises of neutrality. The fun I'm having with the DX1000 has put an end to those illusions. In fact, very often, I think the JVC conveys a sense of ambience that's more credible than what I get from my other phones. The ambience is always more there. It seems more credible for keeping dialogue where it's supposed to be (front and center) and placing the sonic backdrop farther back in the sounstage. It's a big and warm sound -- but nothing about that warmth seems obviously artificial.

(I've used my phones mostly for DVD's lately, because music excites me too much for the late hours when I can have my audio fun. Here's an area where I think speakers can't compete with headphones: movies. Headphones give me a completely immersive experience -- particularly, of course, on well-recorded, dynamic soundtracks like Battlestar Galactica, Sleeper Cell, Prison Break, etc. Speakers, by contrast, on the kind of stereo setup that I favor, are more realistic for music, but, otherwise, keep everything at a less engaging distance.)

Jun 26, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #111 of 3,142
Is the DX1000 better in any way than my RS-1 and/or Denon D5000?
Or Darth Beyer V3?
Is it worth selling one of these nice cans, to go for a DX1000?

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

I am so tempted....

Jun 26, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #112 of 3,142
IMO, Darth Beyer V3 > D5000 > DX1000.

Jun 26, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #113 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundinista /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I can say right now, for what it's worth, is that the out-of-box experience is of the jaw-dropping kind. This is clearly a bass monster, and I'm inclined to say that it beats my comfort reference, the Denon D5000. Isolation is clearly better than the Denon. It's drop-dead gorgeous. Easily a contender for the best build quality on the current scene. The design is a little less fussy and quite a bit more sturdy-feeling than the D5000. It's really something to drool over!
Cheers,

Oh, man, this is killing me....
frown.gif

Jun 26, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #114 of 3,142
Looking for more cans to go with my D2000/D5000 cans.
However:
I don't get it -- after searching posts about these cans, I find two schools of thought about the mid-range SQ.
One group says they are great.
So I ordered a pair.
Another group says they are sorta "strange" -- but sorta nice anyway -- but the "nice" (or not-so-nice) depends on the right music at the moment.
So I canceled the order.
Too much $$$ for a possibly low-SQ mids can?
I guess I have to wait and see a few more posts, and make a final "buy/not buy" decision -- I do need a pair of "fun" cans, though -- everybody does....
Will the real DX1000 please stand up?

Jul 6, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #115 of 3,142
I am now officially signing in, got my pair today. Price japan is very fast btw.

They only got a few hours on them so far but I really like them. When it comes to the midrange SQ, I think I agree with what soundinista said.

I also have the D2000 and these are to my ears far more neutral. I recently got both cans so I have little experience so far with both (about 2 hours only with the DX1000 and 4 hours with the D2000). These two headphones are among the best I've ever heard, this far I slightly prefer the D2000 though(due to their neutrality). But I have a lot of recordings to go through before I've made my mind up which one is the best. And even then, I've already decide to keep both simply because I like both a lot.

In the future I might decide to purchase the D5000 though
evil_smiley.gif
, we'll see about that.

Jul 7, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #116 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamprologus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am now officially signing in, got my pair today. Price japan is very fast btw.

Welcome! I'm very pleased with mine, although I do digital EQ them into submission a little bit in the lower mids.

Jul 7, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #118 of 3,142
Thank's!

I'll post impressions later on, I'm too busy listening
basshead.gif
. But they are good, Pink Floyd's The Wall sounded very good indeed
tongue.gif

Jul 12, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #119 of 3,142
I have some more hours on these now and I have done some extensive comparisons with my new D2000 as well.

From the beginning I preferred the D2000 over the DX1000, especially when I switched back and forth between cans during songs. Now they get an even share of listening time.

I especially appreciate the controlled and beautifully strong bass of the DX1000 (I perceive the bass of the D2000 to be slightly less controlled). I also like their warmth, it does wonders with many CDs I have tried during the past week. Classic rock (I'm currently listening to a live recording with Nils Lofgren, marvellous) is one style which sound very good with the DX1000. Not sure if they are necessarily on the warm side of neutral, but they are warmer than the D2000. The D2000 on the other hand seem to have slightly more treble energy than what I would consider neutral.

DX1000 can tend to sound dry in the mids (or slightly honky) but it's very much dependent on the recording and it's something that I noticed more often in the beginning. It's clear though that the mids of the D2000 can sound more, ehh, emotional (for lack of better expression).

Detail is good on both cans, I perceive the D2000 as brighter but I find them to provide about the same amount of detail.

These are two very good headphones, I'm happy (and lucky) to own both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back