JVC HAR-X700 and 900. Two of the best dynamics? Am I nuts?
Nov 4, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #121 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by project86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered then RX700 from buy.com, and will have to wait until they get more in stock. I hope they hurry!

Musicman52, can you please clarify about the mod that you did? I think I understand but would like to be sure. Thanks!

I tried to get Buy.com to accept a backorder but couldn't.

Here's a mod experiment to try: Put some damping material on the outer shell. Experiment by holding 1, 2, 3, then 4 fingertips on the shell and notice the difference in bass.
I got ahold of rubber padding strips. They're 1/4" thick, 1" wide, and the scraps I have are long enough to go across the shell. It's made to pad between metal assemblies, and has a very strong self-adhesive. I'm waiting on an adhesive remover so I can use ordinary rubber cement.
The other thing are these baffle plates inside the earcups as evidenced by the diagram on the package. I think by swapping baffle plate materials, significant adjustment could be made in tonal response.

Nov 4, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #123 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATHFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like I mentioned before, I can't find a single online shop which is willing to export these headphones to Europe without being to expensive.

That depends on what you think is expensive, I found the har-x900 at savinglots.com for 80$ shipped to Denmark, so I ordered a pair straight away
bigsmile_face.gif

Edit.

Blah I just got a note that my money was refunded because savinglots.com doesn't ship to Denmark

Nov 4, 2008 at 11:03 AM Post #124 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman59 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As soon as they are full burn-in I will compare them to the Denon D1000. This will be a more fair comparison.

I am very interested in this comparison. I'm on the fence between the RX900's and the D1001's as a christmas present for my wife.

Nov 4, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #125 of 1,224
I just got my X700s. Popped them in and listened to some of the songs I know best. I'm coming from Grado SR-60s and I am most interested in how these sound compared to the Grados, as they are supposed to be a replacement. Some notes...

1) wow, these sound a lot better than I expected them to. I was really expecting some crappy sound (I've been let down by budget praise re: Sennheiser HD-201s, JVC Marshmallows, AKG K501s, DT880s, Sennheiser HD580s etc etc). These really do blow my mind, considering I got these for $34.

2) From my now faint-and-vague memory of AD700s, these sound very similar. Very well balanced across the spectrum, a lighter sound than Grados, but still enjoyable.

3) Detail is fair - the only thing it's missing on the SR60s is the Grado punch and attack. Cymbals sound very good, but are far away. Some of the mids are being smeared, though, and the bass is a little sluggish... hopefully after some burn-in these problems will be rectified.

4) Soundstage is excellent. Very immersive headphones; also similar to AD700 soundstage. EDIT: okay, just listened to some Angra. Coming from Grados, the sound stage is HUUUUGEEEEEEEEEE!@@@@!!!!@$!@@%!%%!%!9000000!!! It might just be because I've never really had much time with circumaural headphones, but man, these things make my head spin.

5) These are pretty comfortable initially, but after about 20 minutes I can tell how these will get fatiguing. The pads just aren't very comfortable. Hopefully this will also get better as I put more hours on them...

6) They also don't get rid of my headband hair problem
frown.gif

7) Tried them out for gaming for a little bit and I think I was most disappointed here. Since I played with my Grados for many years, I was used to the drivers being directly on my ears - because of this, I could use the CS:Source sound directional cues amazingly well. I put the JVCs on and... well... I can't really tell where exactly sounds are coming from anymore. It also seems that there's some sort of strange thing where everything sounds like it's coming from more "behind me" than in front or by my side. I'm not sure if this is due to the circumauralness, the driver orientation, or the fact that the earpads are thicker in the back to accomodate for head shape.

But for $34, these are ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. I don't think you can go wrong with these things...

EDIT: for reference, I listened to some Dream Theater and Symphony X while making these impressions. I'm listening to Backstreet Boys - The One (for old-times sake) and I'm not particularly enjoying the way it handles the tsh-tsh-tsh... more to come in a bit. I'll run these through all my genres and see what else is up.

Nov 4, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #126 of 1,224
I have seen that many of you and me have the problem with the comfort of rx700/rx900.
For that there is a very simple and quick solution,i you look carefully at the pads from in front and behind you will notice that there is almost half of thickness from front than behind.
so you just need to reverse the pad from back to front and this way there will be more space between the ears and driver.

Nov 4, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #127 of 1,224
I just received my HA-RX700's today, and, well, let's just say they're not all that came.

Here are my first impressions (completely copying Aflac's format, but without numbers):

-Bass is very detailed and accurate, and blends quite well with the rest of the music. In other words, if you want to hear a bass guitar well, all you have to do is listen for it, but if you're just enjoying the song as a whole, there is no overpowering effect whatsoever. As mentioned by a few others, it's a little sluggish at this point, though just barely, and it will improve eventually.

-Treble is EXTREMELY detailed and accurate, and reaches quite far, but with zero sibilance. Due to the impressive treble detail, I was able to hear things I've never heard before in just about every song I listened to.

-Mids are superb in every way, and are very smooth, accurate, detailed, and... well... beautiful. Matt Bellamy's vocals in Absolution made my heart stop, they came through so clear and realistic.

-Soundstage is too good to be true. I found myself looking out the window searching for the band quite frequently until I acknowledged the big bulky things on my ears.

-They look very strange. Home use only, folks.
smily_headphones1.gif
...Unless you like looking funny.

-They're a little heavy, but this is made up for a little by the comfortable pad thing.

-Most comfortable cans I've ever owned. They never stop feeling like a fluffy pillow encasing your ears.

-The cable is extremely long. Once again, probably not the best choice for portable use.

Overall, I can't believe I only paid $33 for these. I keep feeling like I need to take perfect care of them because I keep forgetting they cost well under $150. And this is before burn-in. The only word to describe these is... epic.

Nov 4, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #128 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by kirimaru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have seen that many of you and me have the problem with the comfort of rx700/rx900.
For that there is a very simple and quick solution,i you look carefully at the pads from in front and behind you will notice that there is almost half of thickness from front than behind.
so you just need to reverse the pad from back to front and this way there will be more space between the ears and driver.

The earpads are designed with head shape in mind. There's more space between your skull and the back of your ear than your skull and the front of your ear. This is why it's thicker in the back - to accomodate for the space.

Nov 4, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #129 of 1,224
Project86,
Look for the earcup mod on the Edition 9 and that's the same thing I did on the 900's.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Nov 4, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #130 of 1,224
Ok, the HAR-X900 seem to be an amazing set of headphones for the price. I think I will get a pair. Just they are hard to find in Ireland.

I found a pair on ebay, but they are JVC HPR-X900. ARe the HP a different model from the HA?

Nov 4, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #131 of 1,224
Oh you've GOT to be kidding me!

I just got home from school/work, and my RX900s were waiting for me! Sweeet!

But my Bluetooth connection on my dedicated music PC decided to go on the fritz sometime today, and I don't have a monitor or anything, so I can't see what's wrong! And I won't have time to fix it for a couple of days!!! Rrraaarrrrr!!!!
mad.gif

Oh well... at least they're here now.
icon10.gif

Nov 4, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #132 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by melmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, the HAR-X900 seem to be an amazing set of headphones for the price. I think I will get a pair. Just they are hard to find in Ireland.

I found a pair on ebay, but they are JVC HPR-X900. ARe the HP a different model from the HA?

Same phones but for Asian market. JVC HPR-X900 has the old Rca symbol The dog(nipper) and the Victrola along with the model # looks better than the ha-rx900.

A good picture at hardforum.com

Nov 4, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #133 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by melmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nope. Go ahead and grab the HP.

Nov 5, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #135 of 1,224
Anyone disassemble one of these yet. Want to take a look inside but don't feel like breaking them in the first hour of playing with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back