JVC HAR-X700 and 900. Two of the best dynamics? Am I nuts?
Oct 26, 2008 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,224

spacemanspliff

Headphoneus Supremus
Would someone else please buy a pair and lmk if I am losing my mind? I really am starting to think that these $60 headphones are better than most any other dynamic I have ever heard. That can't be right.

I have tried most of the popular cans from every manufacturer. Seems like these have some of the best balance and detail I have ever heard. Detail like AKG 701s but with good full mids and bass with some slam and tune. The only issue I have is maybe the highs do not extend that well. Crazy I must be.

I just got my cmoy with the 2770 burr brown op amps and using batt power for now. I will get an adapter soon.

Both headphones benefit from an amp. Sound is fuller and more controlled. A definite step up but no more than a good solid bump up in terms of dynamics. Fleshing out the form so to speak.

Anyway, please someone with other cans try these. I have nothing else to directly a/b them with atm and no $$ to do so.

Trust me, it is worth the effort. Even if I am wrong, they have to be the best bang for the buck headphones ever.

The 700 is almost sealed. The 900 is more of an open can and larger than the 700. 700 has a 40mm driver and the 900 a 50mm.

DSC01485.jpg

DSC01483.jpg

DSC01487.jpg

Oct 26, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #2 of 1,224
Hi, I don't have anything to comment about the 900's as I do not own them. But I do have some questions. I already ordered the HARX 700's, are the 900's significantly better? And does the 900 need an amp?

Thanks.

Oct 26, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #3 of 1,224
They are not better so much as different. Semi-open, more padding, larger cups = larger sound stage, more comfort and coolness but a different, more laid back presentation. I do think that they need an amp. Just a small one like a cmoy to keep it cheap but who knows? They might like tubes lol. I just bought a cmoy here so I should know more next week. So far so good though. I have the 700 and 900 and am amazed at the detail level of both.

Oct 26, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #4 of 1,224
I will most likely be ordering a pair on Monday, I have a friend who is new to audiophile headphones and he is ordering a pair as well, so it will be interesting to see his reaction. I have Grado SR-60s and Sony MDR-CD 580s to compare to. I'm hoping these will complement my Grados and hopefully be even better.

Oct 26, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #5 of 1,224
They are very different from Grados. You will like them though. They do need about 2 days of play time to settle in. They sound like crap at first.

Oct 26, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #6 of 1,224
Interesting headphones.

However I cannot find any information on them at all. I can't find the sensitivity or the impedance, or any good photographs. Just the stock photos.

Are these circumaural?

Do they isolate at all?

They might make a good platform for modding.

Oct 26, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #9 of 1,224
Posted pics of the two. 700s on the left, 900s on the right.

Yes the pads on the 900s are like beyer leather pads. Not quite that good in quality but in comfort sure.

Oct 26, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #10 of 1,224
Are they really that good? I'm very, very tempted to get a pair.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I've got DT-880 and MS-1... seems like these might fall smack dab in the middle...

One question: do they have that "fun" factor like Grado/Alessandro? I mean, do they get your feet tapping uncontrollably?

Oct 26, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #11 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are they really that good? I'm very, very tempted to get a pair.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I've got DT-880 and MS-1... seems like these might fall smack dab in the middle...

One question: do they have that "fun" factor like Grado/Alessandro? I mean, do they get your feet tapping uncontrollably?

Yup. I think that I like the 700s better for some music. The difference appears to be a normal one b/w a sealed and smaller and semi open and larger with the same drivers. aka the detail on the 700s is greater and the bass tighter but the sound stage is smaller with faster attack. The 900s have the classic open sound with the highs a bit recessed and the bass bigger but slower with a larger sound stage. I really like both honestly. The 900s seem to work better for games and are more comfortable but even that is debatable.

Oct 26, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #12 of 1,224
Oh, the pressure of low stock count!!!
eek.gif

Stock was low, and I'm sure will get even lower once more comparisons like yours surface, so I thought I'd grab a pair of the 900s before buy.com decides to up their price to the retail on future stock!
wink_face.gif

Should be interesting...

Oct 26, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #13 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup. I think that I like the 700s better for some music. The difference appears to be a normal one b/w a sealed and smaller and semi open and larger with the same drivers.

I opened my 700's, they are not sealed. The outer shell (the part that has the model # on it) is a faux cover. The shell is not quite sitting on the rest of the enclosure; if you listen you can hear the music. Under that shell is the "real" cover with 3 small vents running near the outside wall, just under the faux cover. The difference in the sound may be the perforated grill section on the 900's cover. I still wonder about the "acoustic lens"

How do they compare to the dt770 pro, I will save a few bucks

Oct 26, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #14 of 1,224
I am enjoying my RX900s immensly. While I cannot claim any expertise, these sound better than anything I've demo'ed so far. I burned them in using Moby's Play on repeat for 24 hours at a moderate volume from an integrated amp. This was after a week of 2-3 hours use per day, as well as a day long comparing session with Denon AH D1001s.

That final burn smoothed out the roughish lower mids, which I thought were the main fault of the RX900s. While I was reluctant to say this before: the JVC HA RX900 is a Denon AH D1001 killer.
While they look big and bulky, they're very lightweight and extremely comfortable. At $57 shipped from Buy.com I'd recomend them to anybody.

Is the HA RX700 and RX900 some phantom model? Sometimes they're on ebay, sometimes not. One store clerk said they're not on the list of available headphones from JVC. It seems that Buy.com has the monopoly.

Oct 26, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #15 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by ExtendeD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And does the 900 need an amp?

Thanks.

It doesn't need an amp, but benefits from one. A Fiio makes it sound "better", deeper bass of course, but hooking up to an integrated amp or reciever really shows off the clarity and precision.
Running straight off an iPod 5.5, I have no yearning to plug a CMOY in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back