JVC HAR-X700 and 900. Two of the best dynamics? Am I nuts?
Aug 2, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #1,186 of 1,224

Quote:
The JVC HA-RX 700 and HA-RX 900 are not discontinued they are still listed under the full-size headphones in JVC's website. I don't think they are going to be discontinued anytime soon.

P.S.  Readily available at Newegg.com and Amazon.com, I believe the HA-RX 700's are actually world beaters with proper amplification. These headphones have to be grabbed and held onto to get past the overall dark SQ but it can be done, you can PM me for further info. Happy Listening.

You may be right. But JVC lists them (RX700s) as OOS and so does Amazon/Buy.com. They are on widespread backorder. Also, they are missing from the "compare headphones" list on JVC's website. However, this may be because of manufacturing delays, as these are apt to sell out a few times a year--especially before school starts in the fall, I assume. The RX900s have no such problem at the moment.

Aug 29, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #1,187 of 1,224

Quote:
I finally finished all 79 pages of this thread, whew.

Only mod I did was the padding mod, and I honestly love them after that.  Especially since they don't feel circumaural at all until it's done, plus I like the extra sound stage it adds.  I honestly don't think they look that weird for wearing in public.  I'd probably get a lot more looks wearing my gamecom777.  I actually brought this to my college classes all this past semester.  Since I had about an hour between 2 classes I'd listen to them on my zune hd and never really got any weird looks.  I used them because ever since I got this plantronics headset(before my 777) http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/9f/e4/a4f5828fd7a02b9b31d55110.L.jpg I have loved the comfort circumaural phones give.  Though that headset is honestly the most comfortable pair I've ever felt in my life, it felt almost as though nothing was on your head.
moz-screenshot.png

Taters, if you think the plantronics 'phones feel like you're "wearing nothing," you should try the HD-590's if you can find a pair and don't mind an open set of cans.
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #1,188 of 1,224
It's more like if I could afford to fork over that much money on headphones
frown.gif
.  There's a reason I'm currently using the HA-RX700's, they don't sound so bright like my gamecom777 and they were cheap, but still nice.

Aug 31, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #1,190 of 1,224
Pretty awesome for the price, I don't like that you have to stuff padding behind the original to make them more comfortable and actually feel like circumaural 'phones should.  They work fine without much for a power source, but the bass does suffer when I use my zune hd with them.  I can't say a ton as for sound quality wise, since my ears probably aren't as well trained as some out there, but they satisfy my need for good quality sound right now.

Aug 31, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #1,191 of 1,224
I ordered a pair of the X900's the other day. I went with those because the pads look like they're much better. My expectations are low. I paid only around $50 for them. I'm really hoping they're not as poor of a fit as my old AD700. I have a smaller head so I'm hoping I don't have issues with this design.

If you could compare the X900 to any other headphone, which would match it's sound signature the most?

I only bought these with the hopes that they'd work fine straight out of my Ipod Touch or with an E5. My DJ 100 Pro that I love seemed to not want to be without an amp, so that was a disappointment.

If these are better then my Koss UR-55, then i'll be happy. Most likely they are. I will say I had bad luck in the past with cheap headphone suggestions on here. Absolutely hated the JVC flats and some Panasonic $50 headphones from Target that I tried. Hopefully these don't sound anything like the JVC flats.

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #1,192 of 1,224
Quote:
I ordered a pair of the X900's the other day. I went with those because the pads look like they're much better. My expectations are low. I paid only around $50 for them. I'm really hoping they're not as poor of a fit as my old AD700. I have a smaller head so I'm hoping I don't have issues with this design.

If you could compare the X900 to any other headphone, which would match it's sound signature the most?

I only bought these with the hopes that they'd work fine straight out of my Ipod Touch or with an E5. My DJ 100 Pro that I love seemed to not want to be without an amp, so that was a disappointment.

If these are better then my Koss UR-55, then i'll be happy. Most likely they are. I will say I had bad luck in the past with cheap headphone suggestions on here. Absolutely hated the JVC flats and some Panasonic $50 headphones from Target that I tried. Hopefully these don't sound anything like the JVC flats.

They're powered pretty easily by an iPod Touch alone. If you don't like them after burn-in, don't forget that there are some pretty good mods for them.

Sep 3, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #1,193 of 1,224
One extra note I've realized, the bass responds well to EQ, but I've only seen it respond good with the EQ in Foobar2k.  My sound card doesn't seem to do much when I try to use it to EQ a bit extra bass with it though.

By the way, any quick suggestions for a good portable amp for the 700s?  I've thought about the thunderbolt 2010(for these and possible future phones)...I would start a new thread, but I figured it may help others to see it here if talking of an amp that works well with these phones.

Nov 2, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #1,195 of 1,224
I think I'll buy and mod the RX700. What amp do you use with them? A fiio e5 would work?
What are your favourite/best improving mods?
Do you think there's much difference when gaming between 700 and 900 when they are properly modded/amplified?

Nov 3, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #1,196 of 1,224
I use no amp, they work fine without one...even with portable devices(mp3 player, etc).  Though many on this thread have said they do sound nicer with amplification, but not sure what amps work well.  The favorite mods seem to be removing the felt and adding padding behind the original for comfort, which also creates a change in sound signature if you ask me(seems to be for the better IMO).  Both mods can be found using search, and the felt mod is the same for both except the 900 has the "lens" in it.  As for your last question, I can't comment on that as I only own the 700s.

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #1,197 of 1,224

Quote:

[size=10pt]No one ever listens to me on these but... You should try the Auvio "Concert Class" cans. Imagine the Sony XB500 only more efficient, tighter bass and much cleaner, clearer sound and you'll get an idea of their sound signature. [/size]

[size=10pt]You absolutely MUST remove the hard, dense felt that covers the grill holes though just like you should do with the JVC's.[/size]

Aug 20, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #1,199 of 1,224
Sad to say over 1.5 years after I bought my HA-RX700's one of the parts where it swivels snapped so the left can wouldn't sit right.  I was able to krazy glue it in place, but now it doesn't swivel...at least everything else is fine though.  Hopefully this holds me off until I'm able to buy another pair.  Almost want to try out the 900's for the bass and better pads, but I'll still probably go the cheaper rout and get another pair of 700's. 

Edit: Think I'm going for a pair of ATH M50's instead, from what I've seen it sounds like they have a similar sound signature and are a good upgrade path.

Feb 6, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #1,200 of 1,224
Edit: Ok after few more hours I had to change my quick review. Will post new impressions after several hours of listening. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back