JVC HAR-X700 and 900. Two of the best dynamics? Am I nuts?
Feb 7, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #1,201 of 1,224
So I played with my new JVC HA-RX700 for around 10+ hours. My impressions so far:

THIS are electronic music headphones. RX700 has excellent performance on slow to medium fast genres of electronica like Tribal House, House, Drum and bass, RNB and (not vocal) trance. Sound is warm, with deep impactfull bass. On good recordings there is enough detail and trebles. On worse recordings sound is muddy and veiled. If there is not much going on, vocals are clear but on genres like vocal trance, vocals are confussed and lost in the bass.

I compared them to my DT880 32ohm powered by Xonar STX (Medium amplification setting). Music on RX700 is way more warm than on DT880, RX700 has more body but less mids and trebles. Music is FUN to listen (I mean electronic music).
I tried to play also some acoustic based music, and guitars, piano, etc sounds more real on DT880 but sometimes too thin. Vocals usually sound better on DT880 (openess of DT880 helps here lot).

Overall I think that RX700 is good complementary headphones to my DT880 for most electronica genres. For rock, and vocal music (vocal trance too) I still prefer DT880.

Here are some artists and genres that I tried so far:

N.O.H.A (drumm and bass with some vocals) - excellent on RX700, good on DT880
Prodigy - excellent on RX700, too thin and shrill on DT800
Metallica - average on RX700, good on DT880 (electric guitars had more energy on DT880)
Cranberries - folk/rock - good on RX700, excellent on DT880 (more detailes, real instruments, awesome vocals)
Armin Van Buuren, Dash Berlin - vocal trance tracks - muddy on RX700, excellent on DT880
DJ Tiesto - trance tracks - excellent on RX700, good on DT880
various Tribal House artists like Glender, Dj Carlos Manaca, De Leon - excellent on RX700, average on DT880
various mainstream popular dance music like Pitbull, David Guetta, Inna - great on RX700, good on DT880

So my conclusion:

RX700 is excellent headphone for most current popular mainstream electronic genres, when it delivers more than DT880. Comfort could be better but its acceptable.
DT880 is still more detailed, analytic headphone that sounds better on acoustic genres and vocal heavy music. Comfort is absolutely excellent.

For 44 Euros shipping included I am absolutely happy that I finaly found headphones for my electronic music - RX700.
Are they better headphones than DT880 32ohm which were 300 Euros shipped? No, but for bass heavy electronic music they are BETTER choice and more fun than DT880.

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #1,202 of 1,224
Epic thread. It convinced me to buy two pairs of the RX700 over here in the UK so my girlfriend could experience them too. They're burning in in the background with some Judas Priest (find me a better track than Painkiller for doing this. The frequency extremes, the attack, the speed of it all! This is really getting them moving 
atsmile.gif
)

Does anyone actually prefer theirs unmodifed from a sound perspective?

Apr 3, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #1,203 of 1,224

Quote:
Epic thread. It convinced me to buy two pairs of the RX700 over here in the UK so my girlfriend could experience them too. They're burning in in the background with some Judas Priest (find me a better track than Painkiller for doing this. The frequency extremes, the attack, the speed of it all! This is really getting them moving 
atsmile.gif
)

Does anyone actually prefer theirs unmodifed from a sound perspective?

Honestly, I wasn't a big fan of the way they sounded when I didn't have the padding added behind the original pads.  Though they weren't bad then, and that was mostly for comfort.  As for the felt mod, I had no problems without that, but it really did clear things up for me.

Apr 14, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #1,204 of 1,224
i have the harx 900 with about 40 hours of burn in so far.  i notice some distortion, esp in the bass, at moderately loud volumes.  does anybody notice the same thing?

​

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #1,205 of 1,224
Quote:
i have the harx 900 with about 40 hours of burn in so far.  i notice some distortion, esp in the bass, at moderately loud volumes.  does anybody notice the same thing?

​

Amped?  Before my 900's started taking steroids, I kind of did experience distortion as you said but it was due to a tiny screw falling into the center hole where the driver is held by the magnet.  Soon as I took that out they sounded wonderful again.  Now I finally am enjoying my 900s by jeri-rigging up an amp system through 2 pieces of gaming equipment, lol!  I just ordered me an fiio tho.  I think these 900's will really benefit from being amped.  Just getting in this game too btw.

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #1,206 of 1,224
Quote:
One extra note I've realized, the bass responds well to EQ, but I've only seen it respond good with the EQ in Foobar2k.  My sound card doesn't seem to do much when I try to use it to EQ a bit extra bass with it though.

By the way, any quick suggestions for a good portable amp for the 700s?  I've thought about the thunderbolt 2010(for these and possible future phones)...I would start a new thread, but I figured it may help others to see it here if talking of an amp that works well with these phones.

I haven't purchased my headphone amps yet, but I did experiment with what I had on hand: Turtle Beach DSS & Mixamp Pro 2013.  I hooked both of these together and holy....!!!!  The 900's were weak on the low end, I mean lows were pronounced? but faint.  The combination of the DSS and Mixamp resulted into something like: boring Dr. Bruce Banner into THE HULK SMASH!!  I'm really looking forward to getting my amp now though.  THink maybe an e17.  LOL I'm new to this, but this is indeed fun fun fun

Apr 7, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #1,207 of 1,224
I skimmed through as much of this thread as I can tolerate.

From what I can gather, the 700's have a bit more of a high frequency emphasis, whereas the 900's are a bit warmer. Is this correct?

I am looking for headphones with a little less treble emphasis than say the koss ksc75's.

Apr 9, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #1,208 of 1,224
That seems to be the consensus from what I read long ago.  I only had the 700's but those were warm enough for me for the most part after adding padding.  I don't know if it would be so much a high frequency emphasis as it's possible it's not as emphasized in the low end as the 900's, but again I've never had the 900's.  Also haven't used mine in a long time since the pivot point(tilting side to side?) half busted, by which I mean it didn't totally break but caused the can to tilt outward at the bottom.  Not to deter anyone from buying these, just maybe put them over your head by not grabbing the cans like I did and holding it above the pivot point to avoid this.  I can't guarantee that would keep it from happening, but it might.  It took over a year for it to happen to me, and that was with daily use putting it on and off multiple times most days.

Jul 3, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #1,210 of 1,224
5 years later, are these still the best for under $75?

Jul 5, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #1,211 of 1,224
Quote:
5 years later, are these still the best for under $75?

YES! I have tried many many of the FOTM low prices headphones with a catchy thread title. They mostly dont live up to the hype of the OP, I am getting to the point where it's hard to trust the objectiveness of some reviews. 
The nice thing with the JVC rx700 (and many jvc headphones) is that they dont give much up despite the low price. There is no lousy construction, lousy earpads, this or that sound is recessed or bloated or scratchy or shrill.

Jul 29, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #1,214 of 1,224
Quote:
I sold my 700's the next day I got them.
Awful Comfort (Still not bad for the money)

Seriously suggest putting padding behind the original stuff, I felt the same way originally.  That was probably my one gripe with the headphones, they didn't seem to put enough padding in it to keep the plastic protecting the driver from hitting my ears.  It did change the sound a bit when I added padding, but for me I felt it was for the better.

Feb 5, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #1,215 of 1,224
Hi

I just purchased the FRD-80, which is my first JVC product.

And it was impressive. I thought that it was mindless hype/marketing. Still not sure if I'm wrong about that, but the FRD-80 did perform well for the money.

Now I'm interested in buying a pair of full sized headphones. I'm mostly looking at the RX900s, as I have a preference towards semi open rather than closed back.

What competition should I be considering? RX900 vs what?

SR60i? Superlux? 

For the record, I know that other headphones don't have to be better or worse, and can be just different. I wanna know what other headphones by other brands offer great value at a sub 100$ price point.

I'll probably be buying two headphones, one for home, one for work. Mostly because it gives me an excuse to try out two different headphones.

What other headphones should I be looking at?

Also, this is an 81 page thread. If anyone whose been around in this thread for longer, can you tell me of any direct comparisons made to this headphone? Any A-B ing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back