JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Mar 7, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #4,561 of 4,826
Alfa pads are massive, I'm afraid to loose the middle for ever. Going for Brainwvz

Mar 7, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #4,562 of 4,826
After getting your ears tortured by these monster cans, Robert Pircardo will say, "Thats strange, your brain waves are no longer on file."

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #4,563 of 4,826
Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 2:48 AM Post #4,564 of 4,826
Thanks for the link, Basstion -- I bought a pair.

I've been enjoying my NOS SZ2K's for just over a week now. I was initially *severely* underwhelmed by them running straight out of my crappy on-board sound...very disheartening. I sprung for a Magni 3 and was almost blown away by the difference. Playing motherlevel.flac even with no EQ I can feel my teeth vibrating if I rest them together. At higher volumes I begin to feel my sinuses tingle and I feel like my fillings or nerves in my teeth are reacting somehow...it's really unbelievable...I love it!

I bought mine from a Japanese bloke who bought two pairs and had the second pair sitting in storage as a spare for the last 4 years or so. He decided to sell them after saying that his current pair are still going strong after all this time. I can only hope I get the same lifespan out of these, but sadly, despite my pair being unopened, the leather on my right cup was deteriorated from the get-go -- hopefully not a bad omen! The stock pads are not comfortable to me anyway so I am excited to get them replaced. My main concern now is about the hinges as I've read that these are a weak point.

How many of you have had issue with the hinges snapping, and aside from 3D printing the part, are there any other suitable repair jobs?

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #4,565 of 4,826
Thanks for giving us your experience on your cans. When these things are properly amped, EQ'd, and when using the proper pads, these cans will literally open your world to new things. But as you've mentioned, these cans do unfortunately have a weak point. While many have had their hinges snap, and have shown pictures of the damage as proof, and even 1 in particular had 3D-printed a new one, I have been fortunate to not have mine snap. I am not quite sure what I am doing differently as compared to them. I do know that I never fold my cans and put them back in the box. I always keep my cans in the wear position, and I just set them down on my couch arm rest when not in use.

I also try to NOT be like the HULK when spreading them apart to put the cans on my head. And just because they haven't snapped on me yet, doesn't mean they won't per say. It just means that I've been fortunate is all. And for the record, I wore these can's longer then anybody else on the stock pads, long enough to receive an ear lobe injury. I can say without a fact, that the stock pads have a 1-year lifespan and then their done. Brainwaves HM5 Sheepskin Leather pads are absolutely necessary for comfortable long term use.

Mar 12, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #4,566 of 4,826
Good info! Thanks, StarTreker. Before I ordered the HM5 sheepskins, I bought a couple pairs of the HM5 pleathers which arrived yesterday. It was nerve-wracking for me to replace them...I started by following a short video on YouTube but the pads he was replacing with seemed to be more rounded and slid on way easier than they did for me; although it's humid where I live so that could have been causing problems too.

With the new pads on, as far as the impact to sound goes, it definitely feels more sensible and refined. I can crank the volume a little higher now. As far as comfort goes, it's head and shoulders *above* the stock pads. Curious to see how much better the sheepskins are over the pleathers but I am nervous about going through the pad replacement process again.

Another thing I wanted to ask is, aside from On My Level, what are some other tracks that people use to flex the bass might of these badbois?

Mar 16, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #4,568 of 4,826
Good info! Thanks, StarTreker. Before I ordered the HM5 sheepskins, I bought a couple pairs of the HM5 pleathers which arrived yesterday. It was nerve-wracking for me to replace them...I started by following a short video on YouTube but the pads he was replacing with seemed to be more rounded and slid on way easier than they did for me; although it's humid where I live so that could have been causing problems too.

With the new pads on, as far as the impact to sound goes, it definitely feels more sensible and refined. I can crank the volume a little higher now. As far as comfort goes, it's head and shoulders *above* the stock pads. Curious to see how much better the sheepskins are over the pleathers but I am nervous about going through the pad replacement process again.

Another thing I wanted to ask is, aside from On My Level, what are some other tracks that people use to flex the bass might of these badbois?
Always putting on for my City. Midwest does it best.

STL

KC and one of the most skilled mofos on the planet

STL and KC

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #4,571 of 4,826
You always feel like your in the club when your wearing a JVC SZ series can amped and equed out the arse!
xtrinitypub-o_djanddancer.jpg

Mar 27, 2019 at 6:01 AM Post #4,572 of 4,826
Got the sheepskins today and swapped out the pleather ones.
They are a much better match for these headphones, in my opinion. The lower profile means it feels less like it's compressing my head, yet somehow they feel like they're staying in place better and not sliding down my head. With the pleathers on, it felt like there was too much force coming from the headband which was uncomfortable on my skull.

Mar 27, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #4,573 of 4,826
Got the sheepskins today and swapped out the pleather ones.
They are a much better match for these headphones, in my opinion. The lower profile means it feels less like it's compressing my head, yet somehow they feel like they're staying in place better and not sliding down my head. With the pleathers on, it felt like there was too much force coming from the headband which was uncomfortable on my skull.

The SZ series from JVC all have a high amount of clamping force from the band. I was completely caught off guard for it when I first got my cans, as all previous cheapo over ears and on ears I wore before, never did that. I believe the reason why they designed them that way, is because the cans weigh a ton, and in order to prevent them from falling off your ears, they chose high pressure.

The main reason why they feel different is because the original pads were protein leather, thats what pleather is, in essence, its not real leather, so it won't look, feel, or smell like leather either. The Sheepskin pads from Brainwaves are made of real leather, with quality stitching, and memory foam is used inside. This allows you to get a proper fit, while remaining comfortable.

Additionally, you may have noticed, that the sheepskin pads alter the sound a little bit. The sound stage is opened up, and the bass is no longer muddied. The bass pounds harder, and is more accurate then it was before. A combination of these pads, with a proper amping, and eq, can have these things sounding like your inside a 15" sub woofer. lol

Apr 7, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #4,574 of 4,826
So my SECOND pair of HA-SZ1000s snapped at the swivel joint and severed one of the wires. And this is from just putting it on my head, not even tight. First pair snapped at the folding joint. I had an extended warranty on the first one, and they fully reimbursed what I paid and spent it on the second pair. Stupidly, did not get extended warranty on second pair, but probably wouldn't have mattered as the price of these are now like $500 (all this through Amazon btw).

The "Newer Model" is Bluetooth...?????? Anyone have experience with these. How you supposed to amp wireless bass cannons??

Anyway, think I've had my few glorious years with the SZ1000s, and going to move on. To what? I dunno, looked at V-Moda Crossfades LP2, tested with amp and the bass honestly surpassed my expectations. Plus their built like tanks.

Did file warranty thing via amazon via seller, in freaking Japan, but replacement even reimbursement, low hopes.

Apr 7, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #4,575 of 4,826
So my SECOND pair of HA-SZ1000s snapped at the swivel joint and severed one of the wires. And this is from just putting it on my head, not even tight. First pair snapped at the folding joint. I had an extended warranty on the first one, and they fully reimbursed what I paid and spent it on the second pair. Stupidly, did not get extended warranty on second pair, but probably wouldn't have mattered as the price of these are now like $500 (all this through Amazon btw).

The "Newer Model" is Bluetooth...?????? Anyone have experience with these. How you supposed to amp wireless bass cannons??

Anyway, think I've had my few glorious years with the SZ1000s, and going to move on. To what? I dunno, looked at V-Moda Crossfades LP2, tested with amp and the bass honestly surpassed my expectations. Plus their built like tanks.

Did file warranty thing via amazon via seller, in freaking Japan, but replacement even reimbursement, low hopes.

I am really sorry this happened on 2-pairs of JVC's! Its a real nightmare when something you love breaks on you. Thats what is happening to my TV right now. LED's are going out and flickering, and dark spots are showing on bright screens, its terrible. Its even worse when you know something is dieing or is broken, but you don't have the money to replace it right now. I myself have been curious as to what the proper replacement to the JVC's cans were going to be. I've heard very few recommendations from people on the subject, probably cause there is not a whole lot out there that can match what JVC's do. I think I am aware of the bluetooth JVC cans you are talking about.

And to answer your question, you can't amp a bluetooth can, they have their own op-amps that operate off the battery. But you can EQ them still, although I find that bluetooth cans seem to not take EQ as well as big wired cans. I also own the Cowin E7 Pro's, which are a popular bluetooth can that uses 40mm drivers. They actually sound pretty good for their driver size, but obviously don't compare to a JVC 55mm Kelton Nano Tube driver lol. But when I raze the bass on my tablet app, it makes the bass a bit muddied on the Cowin E7 Pro's. I am going to look up those V-Moda Crossfades LP2 cans.

So far, I've been quite lucky that mine have not snapped. Its really unfortunate that it has happened to so many JVC owners, that we can obviously see a pattern here. Its also unfortunate that JVC has no interest in supporting the basshead community. But waiting for a company to put out a product you want, is like waiting for the government to solve its problems. In other words, it probably aint gonna happen. And were going to have to jump ship to somebody elses product to get what we want. Please give us a full review on the V-Moda Crossfades LP2 when you get a chance. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back