JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Jan 1, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #3,618 of 4,826
I just got the hm5 pads, they were a pretty good fit on the sz2000s. They are much more comfortable than the stock pads. Personally I couldn't tell the difference in sound though. Imo one should be buying pads for comfort rather than sound, if you are expecting to upgrade your sound with new pads prepare to be disappointed. Just my opinion..

Jan 1, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #3,619 of 4,826
Hi everybody.
Putting my basshead helmet on, I applied all the suggestions I got from you guys on my 2K and E5. They made an obvious difference, but didn't get me to the desired effect. I'm thinking E5 doesn't pump enough juice to bring the monster alive. With its like-new condition it can be sold and the amount can easily get me almost any Fiio out there. In fact E5 is my first dac/amp ever so I have nothing to compare it to. Maybe it's time to move on and find my happ-ever-after amp.

Jan 1, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #3,620 of 4,826
The SZ2K's love power, the E5 doesn't have enough to push them to their maximum impact levels. If you are looking for strictly an amp to power them to their max, have a look at the iFi iCAN SE. It is not a portable solution, but one of the best options for at home thump. Personally I have the iFi iDSD and love it, but the iCAN SE has a more aggressive bass boost. If you want something you can take on the go, I'd suggest the Cayin C5. 

Jan 1, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #3,621 of 4,826
Hi everybody.
Putting my basshead helmet on, I applied all the suggestions I got from you guys on my 2K and E5. They made an obvious difference, but didn't get me to the desired effect. I'm thinking E5 doesn't pump enough juice to bring the monster alive. With its like-new condition it can be sold and the amount can easily get me almost any Fiio out there. In fact E5 is my first dac/amp ever so I have nothing to compare it to. Maybe it's time to move on and find my happ-ever-after amp.

hey bro. I am the one who bought an E5 way back when to do a paper test on. It doesnt have enough power for full size headphones and that is that really...

As a DAC it is great and while not bit perfect it is extremely musical. I enjoyed it very much as just a DAC.

You could keep it and get a different amp as the E5 DAC is really good.

My suggestion if you have to use the 2000 with the E5 is to keep it on low gain, ALWAYS. High gain on the SZ just distorts everything and doesn't actually make it louder. High gain E5 on SZ2000 is one of the worst sounds Ive ever heard.

Jan 2, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #3,622 of 4,826
The SZ2K's love power, the E5 doesn't have enough to push them to their maximum impact levels. If you are looking for strictly an amp to power them to their max, have a look at the iFi iCAN SE. It is not a portable solution, but one of the best options for at home thump. Personally I have the iFi iDSD and love it, but the iCAN SE has a more aggressive bass boost. If you want something you can take on the go, I'd suggest the Cayin C5. 

I can't agree more. E5 is quite musical, and I love the settings offered by the software whether for music or movies. The question is: isn't there an amp/dac that can be musical and at the same time have enough power to cranck the 2k?

Jan 2, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #3,624 of 4,826
I can't agree more. E5 is quite musical, and I love the settings offered by the software whether for music or movies. The question is: isn't there an amp/dac that can be musical and at the same time have enough power to cranck the 2k?

As mentioned before, you can get an amp like the c5 or e12 and stack it with the e5. That way you can use the settings in the e5 and have enough power.

I think one of the basshead brothers have their c5 up for sale.

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #3,626 of 4,826
As mentioned before, you can get an amp like the c5 or e12 and stack it with the e5. That way you can use the settings in the e5 and have enough power.

I think one of the basshead brothers have their c5 up for sale.

Sounda feasible but personally I try to avoid cramming gadgets. I try to keep as few as possible. Plus, I'm more interested in the presence of a dac more than that of an amp.

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #3,627 of 4,826
Sounda feasible but personally I try to avoid cramming gadgets. I try to keep as few as possible. Plus, I'm more interested in the presence of a dac more than that of an amp.

If you want to keep amps, dacs, other gear like that out of the chain, get a SZ1000 instead of the SZ2000. 
I have both and every time the 1000 sounds better straight out of anything.
Likewise, the 2000 sounds better every time when I DO give it an amp and a little EQ.

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #3,628 of 4,826
If you want to keep amps, dacs, other gear like that out of the chain, get a SZ1000 instead of the SZ2000. 

I have both and every time the 1000 sounds better straight out of anything.
Likewise, the 2000 sounds better every time when I DO give it an amp and a little EQ.

That's interesting.I suppose it's because 1K requires less power.I'll look into it.

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #3,629 of 4,826
That's interesting.I suppose it's because 1K requires less power.I'll look into it.

Yeah it doesn't take quite as much power as the 2K can. Likewise, it distorts earlier than the 2K when you are listening loud and cranking the sub bass EQ. So, the 1K is all I ever use for listening with a DAP or phone. If there's ever an amp involved, I'm using the 2k's instead.

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #3,630 of 4,826
Yeah it doesn't take quite as much power as the 2K can. Likewise, it distorts earlier than the 2K when you are listening loud and cranking the sub bass EQ. So, the 1K is all I ever use for listening with a DAP or phone. If there's ever an amp involved, I'm using the 2k's instead.

You think it's possible to get a device that performs well both as a an amp and a dac?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back