JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Dec 28, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #3,601 of 4,826
I never got past l7s for kickers but i still dream of SOLO X's after I heard them. They had this chair at an audio shop called Sit if You Dare. I could feel my organs shifting.The whole store was shaking. 4 of those would probably run you a nice 20k$ with the amps and such... bass is not cheap thats for sure, like even though sz is "relatively cheap" the amps are $$$

Back in the day when I was into car audio, my white whale was Cerwin-Vega Strokers:

This was my go-to kidney shaking track, the drop at 1:58 is sick in a boomin' system

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtIj1Sndcc8[/VIDEO]

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #3,602 of 4,826

Yea CV Strokers look like a piece of artwork.

but so are these ,

and ofc the dual driver SZs
biggrin.gif
with dat B(r)ASS

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #3,603 of 4,826
Well I have both the Fiio E12 and an iFi iDSD and can tell you the SZ2K's are such monsters that they eat up the extra power from the iDSD on Turbo without issue. They absolutely hit harder from the iDSD compared to using the E12. Obviously I EQ for proper basshead needs, but that was testing with the same EQ settings. 

I will say if you do not have access to a proper EQ, the E12 "may" be the better option than the iDSD since it has a much more aggressive bass boost switch. But when both are paired with solid EQ work, the E12 can't match the brute power output from the iDSD. And the SZ2K's LOVE the extra power! :) 

Dec 29, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #3,606 of 4,826
  Nope.... EQ can help  make it better if you're unsatisfied with the level of detail retrieval. But don't expect it to sound just like an open headphone.

Most music is enjoyable (for non hardcore audophiles) which most bassheads aren't as they pick SPL over SQ anyway. Ofc when listening to female vocalists, there are better options. These are good enough where you dont miss too many details relative to other cans in its price brackets. I'm sure you might miss a cough or breathing compared to a stax 007 or something. :p

Like da vapman said, its more a closed cozy bubbly feel and not gonna give you that wide open feel. Well he said it won't give you the open feel, i'm saying it will give you cozy bubbly bass feel.

I was surprised but i ended up enjoying listening to some SIA songs from album "Some people have real problems"

on this because of the cozy bubbling bass feel, and though her vocals might not be as accurate on some studio reference type cans, it was a nice coloration that was musically pleasant. To me anyway.

But , and i've mentioned this elsewhere, that though the bass is slammming and pounding, i find it lacks in the bass texture/accuracy/timbre like on African Drumming or drumming from cajons and such, other drums. I prefer like dt770.80 as its more accurate, imaging better, soundstage better. I mention it b/c same price range. Both are fun, sz more SLAM/BOOM/Pressure. No contest. But its important that you can enjoy both flavors.

When someone says they cant listen to one can, because they find another can better, i am left scratching my head. I can rotate though my cans all day everyday, and listen to them all b/c my music tastes are so wide and each signature/flavor can work better on certain songs/genres.

With the z1r , many of them are saying the th900 is now unlistenable. But that makes me wonder if z1r can beat th900 in everything, which i doubt. E.G. when i put sz1k against xb1k, one is better for dancehall and EDM (xb1k), and one better for slow bassy reggae and hip hop (sz1k). So... yeah

Anyway, I am hoping my sheepskins which should arrive soon will be nice on the 1k.. I'm praying b/c they're 2x hm5 regular, and well for some ppl thats a lot on earpads! Transferred the stock sz1k pads (with 3 tp sheets rolled up and stuffed) on djpro100 which are on my head now, and i'm luvvin it

toodles
happy_face1.gif

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #3,608 of 4,826
  With stock pads my sz1000, showed some details. But when pads are changed to HM5 , little details that existed disappeared and it is now more like sony xb series. But enjoyable.....for bass music.

Which hm5?

There are mixed reviews on them leaving me a bit confused. Some have said it improves the overall sound sig but slightly less impact as opposed to the 55x pads which is more impact, possibly slightly less details (due to bass).

I will report on sheeps soon enough

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #3,611 of 4,826
  Looks like a decent starter pack. Hope someone grabs it from ya. Weren't in love with the bass after all?

Thanks for the good word on it.

I am, I just haven't been able to use it as much as I thought I would. I travel a lot for work and it's been tough for me to find the time to really use them like I want to... Figured someone else would make better use of them than I can.

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #3,612 of 4,826

Thanks for the good word on it.

I am, I just haven't been able to use it as much as I thought I would. I travel a lot for work and it's been tough for me to find the time to really use them like I want to... Figured someone else would make better use of them than I can.

I am trying those Bluedio ones out and hoping for the best. I need a portable bass set anyway. The SZ1000 is, uh, not the most portable (until now it's been the portable whereas the 2K is the stay at home!)

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #3,613 of 4,826

With stock pads my sz1000, showed some details. But when pads are changed to HM5 , little details that existed disappeared and it is now more like sony xb series. But enjoyable.....for bass music.

Which hm5?

There are mixed reviews on them leaving me a bit confused. Some have said it improves the overall sound sig but slightly less impact as opposed to the 55x pads which is more impact, possibly slightly less details (due to bass).

I will report on sheeps soon enough

The HM5 pads brought out the details for me. They distanced the drivers from my ears and improved the sound stage.

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #3,614 of 4,826

The HM5 pads brought out the details for me. They distanced the drivers from my ears and improved the sound stage.

Initial impressions is they are verrry comfy. My ears don't touch the driver thank god. Stock pads (stuffed with tp) went to my Koss dj100, and now they are comfy.

Thx to those that recommended hm5.
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back