JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Dec 3, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #3,526 of 4,826
  Anyone try ZMF pads on these? I'm looking at the ZMF Cowhide pads.

I tried a nearly identical, angled pad--MrSpeakers alpha pads--on a different pair of headphones (Yenona Adapter-Free DJ headphones)--because they were sounding kind of over-the-top/boomy in the bass (not a real problem, but a slight reduction seemed like a good idea); but primarily because they were sounding brighter in upper midrange and treble than before.

What happened was very interesting: these large/deep alpha pads (1.5" deep on thick side, .75" deep on thin side) really changed the sound in good ways. The bass came down somewhat--to "just right," actually--and the brightness was reduced somewhat.

Why do I mention this to you? Because I also own the JVC HZ1K's (F.S. on Head-Fi.org BTW), and less bass/less brightness are absolutely NOT things I would want for the JVC's. What I DID want (big-time) for the JVC's was to get my ears off the freakin' drivers, where they rested every time I put those miserable stock JVC pads against my ears. The Brainwavz "extra thick" HM5 pads did exactly what I needed. Their additional depth vs the stock pads (~1.15" vs stock pads' ~.75") kept my ears off the drivers and left the bass relatively unchanged--maybe slightly elevated (I mean total bass, up to lower midrange--not sub-bass); and the midrange/treble seemed unchanged, except for greater "space" and soundstaging in general vs stock. Those were good changes.

So my guess is the ZMF cowhides (almost identical dimensions to alpha pads) wouldn't improve the JVC's. For same reason, I doubt the Brainwavz' angled pleather pads would be good, either--though I doubt any of those would fit the JVC's.

Dec 3, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #3,527 of 4,826
I had used the HM5 Angled Pleathers on the JVCs and enjoyed them but I had to return the headphone due to the left hinge popping open. I returned the angled pads too just in case while I waited for a good deal to pop up. Just bought the SZ2k again from a member here and looking for pads.

I never even listened to the stock pads. I had opened the box, swapped pads, then started testing. So the only sound I know from the JVCs is the angled pleather effected sound. Maybe this time I'll go for flat pleather.

Dec 4, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #3,528 of 4,826
Has anyone done a dual entry mod on these yet? I have done a recable on one side with 4 conductor wire in the same fashion at the stock wire. but not a Y style cable.

Dec 4, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #3,530 of 4,826
I know I've already posted about this in the basshead thread, but I just wanted to say in here that the SZ2000 and iFi Micro iDSD is a match made in heaven. Along with some proper EQ work, this combo POUNDS the bass!! Also the iDSD seemed to help with the rest of the sound spectrum as well, I've been very impressed with this combo. 

Dec 4, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #3,531 of 4,826
  I know I've already posted about this in the basshead thread, but I just wanted to say in here that the SZ2000 and iFi Micro iDSD is a match made in heaven. Along with some proper EQ work, this combo POUNDS the bass!! Also the iDSD seemed to help with the rest of the sound spectrum as well, I've been very impressed with this combo. 

I sold my iDSD.

........to try out the  iDSD Black Edition 
wink.gif

Dec 4, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #3,536 of 4,826
I'm looking for a pair of stock sz pads. Let me know if one of you guys want get rid of yours

I have a set I got when I bought a spare set of 2000's on Amazon Prime. They are free if you want them :) 

I meant to put them on a diifferent set but I never use over ears aside from the SZ's anymore...

Dec 5, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #3,537 of 4,826
Hey,
I've been using the SZ2ks with HM5 pads for almost a year now and I'm absolutely in love. I am however, curious for some feedback in my choice of source.
What do you guys think of pairing the SZ2ks with an Objective2 DAC/Amp from Mayflower Electronics? That's what I've been using since the start. (I only desire using them @ my PC so I don't need a portable option)
They're supposed to be good bang for buck as desktop amp/dacs go without having to spend hundreds more (which I cannot). I know nothing about pairing proper impedance of the amp and headphones or what not as I've seen discussed when scanning this thread. All I know is when I crank up the bass in the EQ and turn that volume dial up, they hit hard :)
Also, can any1 confirm these are 16ohms? JVC doesn't say the impedance on the site and I'm getting mixed info via google.
Thanks in advance :)
Here's the DAC/Amp for those that aren't familiar with it:
https://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/shop/digital-to-analog-converters/objective2-odac-combo-with-rear-power/

Dec 5, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #3,539 of 4,826
  Hey,
I've been using the SZ2ks with HM5 pads for almost a year now and I'm absolutely in love. I am however, curious for some feedback in my choice of source.
What do you guys think of pairing the SZ2ks with an Objective2 DAC/Amp from Mayflower Electronics? That's what I've been using since the start. (I only desire using them @ my PC so I don't need a portable option)
They're supposed to be good bang for buck as desktop amp/dacs go without having to spend hundreds more (which I cannot). I know nothing about pairing proper impedance of the amp and headphones or what not as I've seen discussed when scanning this thread. All I know is when I crank up the bass in the EQ and turn that volume dial up, they hit hard :)
Also, can any1 confirm these are 16ohms? JVC doesn't say the impedance on the site and I'm getting mixed info via google.
Thanks in advance :)
Here's the DAC/Amp for those that aren't familiar with it:
https://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/shop/digital-to-analog-converters/objective2-odac-combo-with-rear-power/

O2 amp does not have a lot of output power. I would probably consider something like a FiiO E18 instead. Not a ton more but if i'm not mistaken it has more. But, it's ultimately up to you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back