JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
May 23, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #2,881 of 4,826
  Guys, my SZ2000 distorts when EQ'd, and they plenty almost no bass without EQ. I don't know if my eq sucks, or what, but it sounds like clipping, like when the driver can't handle more. I don't know what's happening. They came from Japan and I can't easily return them. What it can be?? They vibrate my head like mad, but distorts when I ask them too much.

My source is a MacBook Pro Retina Late 2013 which puts out like 2 Vrms at most. I HIGHLY doubt that they are defective because they drop the bass like mad, its just that I'm hearing a weird distortion which shouldn't be there. Maybe they need a more powerful source? Is 2 Vrms enough to prevent clipping? Maybe I'm hearing EQ distortion?

I'm using FLAC files. I need help!

I think it's my source because my PortaPro's clips at the exact volume level. Can't be a coincidence. I'm using stock pads. Any help?

May 24, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #2,885 of 4,826
SZ2000 clips easily when you try to get it too loud with a not powerful enough source. Definitely let us know if the C5 fixes it @DoctorZoidberg although I would assume it probably would. The C5 is a godly match with the SZ's.

I may be getting a spare set of SZ's recabled by @PETEREK soon. I was gonna do the work myself, but I got a 2 pin cable from him for some of my IEMs and it's so much better than anything I could do myself.

May 24, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #2,887 of 4,826
  Oh okay. I think it's the amplifier that would 'clip' (when overdriven) but not the headphone driver :D

It probably is cause I remember experiencing this when I owned the soundblaster E5. When switching to high gain the SZ just got really muddy and nasty. In reality it can handle more power than your ears can, so when you max out an amp that can't push as much power as the SZ is capable of, is when you begin to get distortion.

distortion/clipping because of too much power  being fed to the SZ would sound very different.

May 24, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #2,888 of 4,826
From a technical point of view I can confirm that the SZ, no matter which version, is distortion free at 4.36 Vrms, equalling 1.19 Watts at its impedance rating of 16 Ohm. Full bass attacks without driver problems.

May 24, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #2,891 of 4,826
Got these today.   Initially wasn't that impressed so I searched this thread from EQ settings.  Saw badboy's video and tried to replicate, then I understood :)

This is what I set my Creative X7 to based on that video.  I am using low gain as high gain doesn't give me much freedome in volume increments.

I then realised that on the video I think 6DB was used on the settings and mine was at -12 so I adjusted again.

May 24, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #2,892 of 4,826
  Got these today.   Initially wasn't that impressed so I searched this thread from EQ settings.  Saw badboy's video and tried to replicate, then I understood :)

This is what I set my Creative X7 to based on that video.  I am using low gain as high gain doesn't give me much freedome in volume increments.

These have the most crazy sub-bass I've ever heard. Out of the box, they sound pretty balanced but not that impressive. But give them a sub-bass boost and man, you wouldn't go back to flat, 'reference headphones' for those bass-heavy albums. I LOVE my pair. <3

By the way, that EQ looks like it's all bass and nothing else. These are pretty grainy and rolled-off in the treble, and IMO, without a treble boost, the bass eats the rest of the sound. Try boosting everything from 1k to 8k 3 dB for a more balanced sound. 
smile.gif

May 24, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #2,894 of 4,826

I then realised that on the video I think 6DB was used on the settings and mine was at -12 so I adjusted again.

Thanks for sharing!
Helps others with your set-up in the future.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back