JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
May 20, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #2,866 of 4,738

cloud_c

Head-Fier
I had considered this. Mine are currently cabled with the stock cable and a mini-xlr that i use to plug in adapters for either single-ended(rare) or balanced(sony pha-3) use.
When I went to re-cable these I found that the stock cable is a balanced four conductor cable that goes to circuit board on the left side ear piece with what looked to me like a crossover, but to be honest, i did not spend a lot of time looking at the circuit board.
Since at the time i had no interest in creating another crossover for the other side and the stock cable would be retained because of this i felt no reason to meddle with it and therefore did not go to a Y style cable.
Probably I should take the time to reverse engineer the circuit and properly re-cable these with a Y cable and new crossovers, but i have no time or need for it at the moment. The stock cable seemed nice enough.
Maybe if i get the motivation to upgrade the 35mm drivers I'll sacrifice a Beyer 1350 and do the Y cable and crossovers all at the same time.
All that to say that if you feel the need to test the sides independently it can be achieved by cutting the cable and driving either the left or right sides, but then you are faced with doing something about the cut cable.
In my case I had a reason to do this. Up to you if you feel the need to do that.
Sorry for the long post, hope this info helps you.

May 20, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #2,867 of 4,738
  I have no idea if i'm going crazy, my SZ2k's are going bad, or what's up, but I swear the right side is just slightly quieter than the left side. I've done all sorts of tests but I can't be sure.

Has anyone modded these to have a Y style cable?

I think somebody did a cable mod and posted pics in the basshead thread about a month ago....iirc?

May 20, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #2,869 of 4,738
  Damn I must have missed it. I'll find it, thanks.
With all the head time Sz2k have been getting lately I'm giving strong thoughts to busting them open and recabling.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-hardest-hitting-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club/6735#post_12527574

This guy @tjdub did a removeable cable mod with mic

May 20, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #2,870 of 4,738

vapman

Member of the Trade: bhobuds.com
Thanks for finding that post man! It gives me inspiration.

I don't need to have a removable cable or a mic, so my plan is to drill a hole in the right side cup, twist my own braided cable, and I'm consiering messing with some resistors for the Y connector just in case I can subdue the highs a bit more if I mess with the driver impedance. Most likely i'll just do the Y cable and leave it at that.

edit for most recent EQ

May 21, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #2,871 of 4,738

vapman

Dumb question: I've been looking at pictures of SZ2000's taken apart, and now i'm wondering if the 50mm driver  has a spider or if it's just big?

edit: Yeah 55mm not 50mm, damn it I shouldn't be posting at 5am.

May 21, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #2,873 of 4,738

Phoniac

100+ Head-Fier
  Mine are currently cabled with the stock cable and a mini-xlr that i use to plug in adapters for either single-ended(rare) or balanced(sony pha-3) use.
When I went to re-cable these I found that the stock cable is a balanced four conductor cable that goes to circuit board on the left side ear piece with what looked to me like a crossover, but to be honest, i did not spend a lot of time looking at the circuit board.
Since at the time i had no interest in creating another crossover for the other side and the stock cable would be retained because of this i felt no reason to meddle with it and therefore did not go to a Y style cable.
Probably I should take the time to reverse engineer the circuit and properly re-cable these with a Y cable and new crossovers, but i have no time or need for it at the moment. The stock cable seemed nice enough.
Sorry for the long post, hope this info helps you.

It did - thank you so much for pointing out something I saw but did not think about it when I had everything open. I thought about balanced cabling to a mini XLR and then using adapters mini XLR to mini TRS to use it unbalanced - now I will start to do so!

I did not add a socket into the cup (for removable cable) for several reasons:

- mechanical / physical problems with size, space needed, and the look after the mod

- the socket/mod must be done VERY carefully, as the socket reaches into the subwoofer chamber area. There is an extreme pressure inside, even the smallest gap will cause issues. It must be perfectly sealed to work correctly

About the crossover. If you have a Live Beat there is no crossover, just a small PCB that is used to solder all the cables on it. If you have a Z Series then there are two resistors and one capacitor on that PCB, see my previously posted photo. You don't need to rebuild that 'crossover' into the other cup , it is already there (obviously, only two wires going to the other side). When doing mods it might be a good idea to remove that 'crossover' to squeeze the full juice out of the phones, making them identical to the Live Beat ones.

May 21, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #2,874 of 4,738

vapman

Phoniac I was wondering the difference between Z series and Live Beat SZ2k's. Thanks for your post.

You're sure no live beat models have the crossover though? I'll check your photos out so I know I'm looking for the right thing. Though it should be obvious if i see caps or not.

May 21, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #2,875 of 4,738

Phoniac

100+ Head-Fier
I am sure because the Live Beats have a different impedance rating. The higher 'impedance' of the Z Series comes from the series resistors added. Ordered mini XLR and cables already 
o2smile.gif

May 21, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #2,876 of 4,738

vapman

I am sure because the Live Beats have a different impedance rating. The higher 'impedance' of the Z Series comes from the series resistors added. Ordered mini XLR and cables already 
o2smile.gif

Post pics when you're done with it! I'm going to probably attempt this mod later this week when I'm a bit less busy. I'm going crazy with the single ended cable.

I didn't realize the Z-Series had higher impedance. I was actually thinking of trying to add some resistors in the cable and see how I liked the sound of the drivers at a higher impedance. So it's funny it's already been done and I didn't realize it.

Just curious what cables did you get? I was thinking about either getting some mogami or twisting some speaker wire.

May 22, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #2,877 of 4,738

Phoniac

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry, I think you misunderstood. I don't want to do a full new cabling. Just replace the 3.5 mm TRS with a mini XLR 4 pin to be able to use the SZ2000 balanced from time to time. Before your post I wasn't aware/overlooked that JVC did the right thing - not using a common ground wire from the cups to the plug, but two separate ones. That minimizes channel crosstalk to a point where balanced doesn't give any advantage other than more power. And makes it very easy to change the phones to balanced mode. Try that with 'reference' phones from AKG or Sennheiser - not possible, they have only three wires (= common ground) in their cabling. Well, the SZ2000 did it again
atsmile.gif

May 22, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #2,878 of 4,738

vapman

Ah, yeah I did misunderstand. I am still going to get a second set of SZ2000 to do a full Y-style recable on. will require drilling on the side that doesn't have the wire coming out already.

(Also I just posted my review of the SZ2000, please feel free to check it out!)

May 23, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #2,880 of 4,738

ElMarcado

Head-Fier
Guys, my SZ2000 distorts when EQ'd, and they plenty almost no bass without EQ. I don't know if my eq sucks, or what, but it sounds like clipping, like when the driver can't handle more. I don't know what's happening. They came from Japan and I can't easily return them. What it can be?? They vibrate my head like mad, but distorts when I ask them too much.

My source is a MacBook Pro Retina Late 2013 which puts out like 2 Vrms at most. I HIGHLY doubt that they are defective because they drop the bass like mad, its just that I'm hearing a weird distortion which shouldn't be there. Maybe they need a more powerful source? Is 2 Vrms enough to prevent clipping? Maybe I'm hearing EQ distortion?

I'm using FLAC files. I need help!

Users who are viewing this thread