JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Mar 4, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #2,731 of 4,826
Well the strangest thing just happened, i somehow managed to open up amazon shopping app, find the dac and hit order.... its with me by sunday, really gotta stop doing this lol

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #2,732 of 4,826
I'm glad you liked those eq settings. I only use the sz1k at home so adding a dac in the chain wouldn't bother me at all. And a reasonably priced dac too? If it makes a difference with the veil on these I'd definitely be interested.

Well the strangest thing just happened, i somehow managed to open up amazon shopping app, find the dac and hit order.... its with me by sunday, really gotta stop doing this lol

Mar 5, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #2,733 of 4,826
Tell me about it. My adventure began by looking for bass headphones for work. I got the wooduos, but they only lasted about a year. That led to the xb90, then the cayin amp, then the m100 for traveling, and lastly the sz1k because why not? I mean the basshead king's little brother for $135?

These guys here have guided me well. I don't regret any of those purchases. The only purchase I regret is the Motorola surround iems. But I shouldn't have trusted YouTube reviewers opinions. They said they sound pretty good, when my experience is they're the worst headphones I've ever heard.

Mar 5, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #2,734 of 4,826
Tell me about it. My adventure began by looking for bass headphones for work. I got the wooduos, but they only lasted about a year. That led to the xb90, then the cayin amp, then the m100 for traveling, and lastly the sz1k because why not? I mean the basshead king's little brother for $135?

These guys here have guided me well. I don't regret any of those purchases. The only purchase I regret is the Motorola surround iems. But I shouldn't have trusted YouTube reviewers opinions. They said they sound pretty good, when my experience is they're the worst headphones I've ever heard.

Pretty much same for me, I love that euphoric feeling of of my brain being massaged through my ears... theres a song i recently got told about which i think every basshead needs to listen to. Its called last night in LA by konan its a rap song with swearing so be warned but theres instances in the song that with an amp the bass doesnt hit or punch it rumbles like a plane at take off. Lasts seconds but feels cool lol. The rest of the bass is punchy like being jabbed in the side of the head.

If this little dac makes much difference to the soundvof the sz1000 i wonder difference the hrt microstream would make. I see the prices and im scared of this path im dragging myself down lol

Mar 5, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #2,735 of 4,826
Basically you are wasting your money. No amp ever will change the 'sound' (here 'veil') of the SZ1000 or 2000, for a simple reason - it has a full ful flat impedance range. No matter if you drive it with near zero ohm or an old HiFi amp where the 100 W power amp is fed over a 390 Ohm to the phones output - the sound is absolutely the same.

To 'unveil' you simply EQ a little bit. Just about what your ears and taste needs.

BTW, according to the specs this little DAC delivers 1 V @ 32 Ohm. Talking about 'my SZs are pounding my brain like never before' when using this DAC seems completely missing the point.

Mar 5, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #2,736 of 4,826
Basically you are wasting your money. No amp ever will change the 'sound' (here 'veil') of the SZ1000 or 2000, for a simple reason - it has a full ful flat impedance range. No matter if you drive it with near zero ohm or an old HiFi amp where the 100 W power amp is fed over a 390 Ohm to the phones output - the sound is absolutely the same.

To 'unveil' you simply EQ a little bit. Just about what your ears and taste needs.

Thats ok, the dac cost me £29. I cant remember where but i read a guy who got my same set up for phone and amp and explains the dac made a good difference to the quality of the sound compared to the dac in my s6 edge. Be interesting to hear the difference. Thanks for letting me know though, cheers. Do you know of a eq setting i can use on poweramp with my phone that will uncover the veil? By any chance?

Mar 5, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #2,739 of 4,826
Hey bud! I currently use the s6 edge plus with a cayin c5 amp, with v moda wireless and am awaiting on my sz1000. Do you think the hifimedy sabre android usb dac would make much difference to the sound quality? Ive been reading about a veiled sound on the sz1000, would the cayin c5 give it the power to remove it or do i need to run the hifinedy with c5? Would really appreciate a reply, cheers and hope your all good!

I found that adding a DAC, even one as modest as the HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC, makes the sound cleaner and is a worthy investment. You also need a good source. I mean, I only listen to ****ty old punk rock songs but all the files on my Galaxy S4 are either losless or WAV files. MP3's sound a little weak. 

I hope you enjoy your setup. I love my SZ2000's but everyone's ears are unique.

Cheers.

Mar 5, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #2,740 of 4,826
I found that adding a DAC, even one as modest as the HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC, makes the sound cleaner and is a worthy investment. You also need a good source. I mean, I only listen to ****ty old punk rock songs but all the files on my Galaxy S4 are either losless or WAV files. MP3's sound a little weak. 

I hope you enjoy your setup. I love my SZ2000's but everyone's ears are unique.

Cheers.

Cool, ye i ordered the sabre android dac last night i'll have it tomoz. Be cool to see any difference in sound quality. My mp3s are generally 320 kbp im not sure how much difference a lossless file would make to them though. After sz1000 i suppose the only thing left to experience is the taction kannon and ive heard they sound better than the sz2000 mids while having an awesome effect thingy lol. Really looking forward to seeing how these sz1000 sound for my soft rock hip hop tracks

Mar 6, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #2,741 of 4,826
So, I finally picked these up from the post office... first impressions - I love it!! these are one of the most fun headphones I've ever heard. I was pleasantly surprised that it sounded good on the mids and highs as well, though the treble is probably the weaker part of the range here. I feel like these headphones sound like being in a venue with a very good sound system, with the kicking bottom end as well as lively and clear mids and top ends. These will definitely be my default "dance party for one" go-to headphones whenever i need to dance around the house...

The SZ-2000 in their new home... 

I also got the HM5 pads today, so I could make some comparisons:

In the photo: Alpha pads (top), HM5 pads (bottom left), stock pads (bottom right).

The stock pads are indeed too shallow, but not quite as bad as what I thought it would be based on the comments, and I did enjoy the first listens out of the box with the stock pads.

I then tried the alpha pads, it fits well, though a tad on the loose side. In terms of sound, I felt that the highs get a bit too soft and dull - back to the Mad Dogs they go.

The HM5 pads I think are the best fi sq-wise, they don't soften the sound as much as the Alphas, but just enough, and are more comfortable to have the extra space around the ear.

I'll post some of the tracks I used in the first listens soon. I don't listen to much hip-hop, but these make good bassy rock sound like being in a live show. The other genre I am absolutely loving on this is funk.

I also have spare psb m4u2 pads, do they fot and how do they sound if so? Got a pair of sz1000 on delivery, cheers

Mar 8, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #2,743 of 4,826
  Just wanted to let you know Just got my fiio e18 and holy **** man The difference in bass from my bifrost/valhalla thanks a bunch

beerchug.gif

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #2,744 of 4,826
I am interested in this setup big time. Hawaii has done a pretty great job to champion them. Here's where I am at:

I am a gamer and listener of music so I will want to use this headphone for both.

My plan is to get the Fiio A3 (E11k) amp + SZ2000/SZ1000 + JVC H55x pad replacement.

That means I will be using a ALC898 for my gaming source. I am pretty sure it'll be OK to EQ these things for gaming on that soundcard. Games.

Music is different. The A3 amp will still be used (I know its not the E12 but it's half price and I am watching my dollar a bit here). I am planning on sourcing my music with a Fiio X1 player. I am hoping the X1 is a good choice for being able to EQ these to take advantage of that extra power from the A3 as I am not needing the better internal amp of the X3/X5.

Now, my music preferences are the following: Tool, Avenged Sevenfold, Nero, Jay-Z, Pendulum, Madlib, Kendrick Lamar, Nine Inch Nails, Queens of the Stoneage. Mostly rock, some hip-hop, some electronic music.

For me does the SZ1000 make sense over the SZ2000 (I am thinking yes due to the lack of a ton of hip-hop) or am I making the wrong choices all together and I should be getting open-back HD598s or Fidelio x2? Also, in terms of $50-60 amps, is there a better alternative to the A3 for a setup like this?

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #2,745 of 4,826
  I am interested in this setup big time. Hawaii has done a pretty great job to champion them. Here's where I am at:

I am a gamer and listener of music so I will want to use this headphone for both.

My plan is to get the Fiio A3 (E11k) amp + SZ2000/SZ1000 + JVC H55x pad replacement.

That means I will be using a ALC898 for my gaming source. I am pretty sure it'll be OK to EQ these things for gaming on that soundcard. Games.

Music is different. The A3 amp will still be used (I know its not the E12 but it's half price and I am watching my dollar a bit here). I am planning on sourcing my music with a Fiio X1 player. I am hoping the X1 is a good choice for being able to EQ these to take advantage of that extra power from the A3 as I am not needing the better internal amp of the X3/X5.

Now, my music preferences are the following: Tool, Avenged Sevenfold, Nero, Jay-Z, Pendulum, Madlib, Kendrick Lamar, Nine Inch Nails, Queens of the Stoneage. Mostly rock, some hip-hop, some electronic music.

For me does the SZ1000 make sense over the SZ2000 (I am thinking yes due to the lack of a ton of hip-hop) or am I making the wrong choices all together and I should be getting open-back HD598s or Fidelio x2? Also, in terms of $50-60 amps, is there a better alternative to the A3 for a setup like this?

Using a PC as the source has been a repeated issue in this thread. I cannot speak to that. As for the cans it depends on where you are coming from. If you come from open back or a regular set a mid veil will be clear to you but if you are used to close backs or this is your first set it will be a non issue for you.  People talk about these being bass only but i have spent a **** load of cash on so called great gear and I still love the SZ. I am treble sensitive so being able to eq drop the front driver and elevate the sub driver is easy for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back