JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Mar 9, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #2,746 of 4,826

Using a PC as the source has been a repeated issue in this thread. I cannot speak to that. As for the cans it depends on where you are coming from. If you come from open back or a regular set a mid veil will be clear to you but if you are used to close backs or this is your first set it will be a non issue for you.  People talk about these being bass only but i have spent a **** load of cash on so called great gear and I still love the SZ. I am treble sensitive so being able to eq drop the front driver and elevate the sub driver is easy for me.

Yeah I am also treble sensitive which is one of the reasons why I sent back my phillips fidelo x2 it was just too piercing and the fit was uncomfortable as well. Also the mids do get killed with most desktop gear.

Mar 9, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #2,747 of 4,826
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00ZGGG3KY/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1457537453&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=brainwavz+hm5&dpPl=1&dpID=41haME4X2jL&ref=plSrch

Will these fit my sz1000? Seems interesting

Mar 9, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #2,750 of 4,826

Using a PC as the source has been a repeated issue in this thread. I cannot speak to that. As for the cans it depends on where you are coming from. If you come from open back or a regular set a mid veil will be clear to you but if you are used to close backs or this is your first set it will be a non issue for you.  People talk about these being bass only but i have spent a **** load of cash on so called great gear and I still love the SZ. I am treble sensitive so being able to eq drop the front driver and elevate the sub driver is easy for me.

I am coming from Koss PortaPro's that I upgraded from iPhone 6 earbuds. I used those on my Galaxy S6 for music. I also have used a closed back VERY mediocre razer gaming headset that is on the PC. I had a pair of Grado SR80's that were way too bright, so I understand where you are coming from with treble sensitivity. I have also used some other consumer grade swill like JBL & Sony bluetooth wireless cans.

I am not coming in from a "seasoned headphone audiophile veteran". I want bass, and I don't need to hear the guy coughing left of center in the acoustic live recording of "Runnin' Down A Dream" circa 1987.

Any commentary about the X1 as a source for these?

A3 to amp them? The A3 is 450mW @16Ω compared to 600mW @16Ω on the e12.

Mar 9, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #2,752 of 4,826
I want bass, and I don't need to hear the guy coughing left of center in the acoustic live recording of "Runnin' Down A Dream" circa 1987.  
Any commentary about the X1 as a source for these?

A3 to amp them? The A3 is 450mW @16Ω compared to 600mW @16Ω on the e12.

beerchug.gif
LOL!!

That is plenty of power and your listening tastes seem appropriate. You need to get the 55x pads for max bass or the HM5 for a little dip in impact but more comfort. Stock pads suck IMO

Mar 9, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #2,754 of 4,826
I am interested in this setup big time. Hawaii has done a pretty great job to champion them. Here's where I am at:

I am a gamer and listener of music so I will want to use this headphone for both.

My plan is to get the Fiio A3 (E11k) amp + SZ2000/SZ1000 + JVC H55x pad replacement.

That means I will be using a ALC898 for my gaming source. I am pretty sure it'll be OK to EQ these things for gaming on that soundcard. Games.

Music is different. The A3 amp will still be used (I know its not the E12 but it's half price and I am watching my dollar a bit here). I am planning on sourcing my music with a Fiio X1 player. I am hoping the X1 is a good choice for being able to EQ these to take advantage of that extra power from the A3 as I am not needing the better internal amp of the X3/X5.

Now, my music preferences are the following: Tool, Avenged Sevenfold, Nero, Jay-Z, Pendulum, Madlib, Kendrick Lamar, Nine Inch Nails, Queens of the Stoneage. Mostly rock, some hip-hop, some electronic music.

For me does the SZ1000 make sense over the SZ2000 (I am thinking yes due to the lack of a ton of hip-hop) or am I making the wrong choices all together and I should be getting open-back HD598s or Fidelio x2? Also, in terms of $50-60 amps, is there a better alternative to the A3 for a setup like this?
I'm coming from a similar set up. I used a set of Razor Blacksharks for gaming. Now that I have the m100 I use that for gaming instead. I get a better sense of where things are at with them, and they sound better in every way compared to the Razor. I tried the sz1k for gaming and wasn't a fan. The veil on these just gets in the way of a good gaming experience for me. If l don't need to use a mic then I also like using my xb90's too.

Mar 9, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #2,755 of 4,826
> Is the HA SZ2000 still available for purchase?

The day JVC stops production without offering an equal replacement (a headphone with two !! drivers), the price of used 1000/2000 will go sky-rocket. These phones are absolutely unique in some ways, and the ones in the knowing will happily spend more money as there is zero competition. The few other 2 way driver phones are designs that don't solve the problem that JVC addressed perfectly - no intermodulation distortion of mids by bass, and practically unlimited soundpressure in bass.

These phones might be uncomfortable (can be fixed to some degree), and sound terrible in the mids (easily fixed by EQ). After that they are just phantastic.

Mar 11, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #2,757 of 4,826
So needing to EQ these is pretty obviously recommended (required), but Fiio players turn off EQ settings if using line-out, so I am assuming max volume on headphone setting (lo gain) -> amp to maintain the EQ?

Also bass boost on the amp + eq? (In my case E11k not E12)

Mar 11, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #2,759 of 4,826
  So needing to EQ these is pretty obviously recommended (required), but Fiio players turn off EQ settings if using line-out, so I am assuming max volume on headphone setting (lo gain) -> amp to maintain the EQ?

Also bass boost on the amp + eq? (In my case E11k not E12)

Quoting myself here because I have spent the last maybe 3 hours playing around and wanted to share my results.

Headphone out on the X1 can be EQ'd, line-out can't. Might be a limitation of the player because Hawaii's vids always have him going line-out but talking EQ.

That said, I pretty much blew my own face off going ~80 volume on the Fiio X1 -> EQ'd 62hz to 0db (can't tweak below so I kept it at 0 for consistency with sub bass), cut filter everything else (160hz ~ -3-4db, everything else -5db or -6db based on my own ears). -> Fiio A3 (E11k) with bass boost on. I had a hard time pushing the amp more than 65% before I felt it was too loud. Plenty of power for starting out for a really great deal. I have a Fiio HS12 stacking kit scheduled for delivery tomorrow and I am super glad. I must say the default big rubber band solution is annoying.

I am using the SZ1000's with H55x pads I robbed from a like new pair from Amazon warehouse deals that I got for like $10.

Most fun I have had with headphones since the early 2000's and a pair of Senn. HD280 Pro's unamped on a 6gb Creative Nomad MP3 player (my first non-earbud throw aways).

Edit: Seriously impressed with the A3 with these cans. I am insanely happy with the power, so if anyone was worrying about not going with the E12 or Cayin C5 (not that they aren't going to be fantastic), this will do them justice. If anyone wants to have fun, listen to Flux Pavilion - Tesla with these things. Best this album has ever sounded, and I have tried to get my feet wet with a home theater system and a pretty respectable carfi setup.

Best gamble on un-heard audio I have made pretty much ever. I feel like this JVC duo 1k/2k will spike in price when they don't have mass availability. Makes me want to put a pair in storage just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back