JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Mar 2, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #2,717 of 4,826
So what you see here is a resistor of 20 Ohms in series with the woofer, which itself has around 25 Ohms. The 'tweeter' has a parallel combination of 12 Ohms and 4.7 µF in series, with a self impedance of 33 Ohms.

In the japan version both speakers are simply wired together, giving you around 14 to 15 Ohm impedance. In the -E version the serial resistors up the impedance to 24 Ohms. It is therefore more gentle to amp outputs.

Now the crazy thing is that you would expect a volume drop of about 6 dB - but that is not the case. It is very subtle and more like 2.5 dB. Very hard to 'listen' by ear. As both speakers are not good in frequency separation, and the mids are build of woofer and tweeter being out of phase, it seems there is something going on with cancellation that is reduced by the changes and compensate for the electrical attenuation - which is there and measurable, of course. There is no obvious change in sound, so I have no clue why JVC is doing this at all. Adding the spacers of 4 mm under the pads (see my earlier post) changed the sound more (and positively) than what JVC does here.

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #2,718 of 4,826
  So what you see here is a resistor of 20 Ohms in series with the woofer, which itself has around 25 Ohms. The 'tweeter' has a parallel combination of 12 Ohms and 4.7 µF in series, with a self impedance of 33 Ohms.

In the japan version both speakers are simply wired together, giving you around 14 to 15 Ohm impedance. In the -E version the serial resistors up the impedance to 24 Ohms. It is therefore more gentle to amp outputs.

Now the crazy thing is that you would expect a volume drop of about 6 dB - but that is not the case. It is very subtle and more like 2.5 dB. Very hard to 'listen' by ear. As both speakers are not good in frequency separation, and the mids are build of woofer and tweeter being out of phase, it seems there is something going on with cancellation that is reduced by the changes and compensate for the electrical attenuation - which is there and measurable, of course. There is no obvious change in sound, so I have no clue why JVC is doing this at all. Adding the spacers of 4 mm under the pads (see my earlier post) changed the sound more (and positively) than what JVC does here.

That pic kinda blew my mind.

Thanks for sharing.

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #2,719 of 4,826
I decided to grab the e18. Now one other question what would you recommend for an eq/music player app for android? Right now I am using cloud player which is a variant of double twist. The ui on the app is great but the eq doesnt seem to offer much.

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #2,720 of 4,826
  I decided to grab the e18. Now one other question what would you recommend for an eq/music player app for android? Right now I am using cloud player which is a variant of double twist. The ui on the app is great but the eq doesnt seem to offer much.

Neutron ALL DAY

You can re-assign any of the 10 bands and customize the bandwidth "Q"

Mar 2, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #2,721 of 4,826
  You get the UK = European or Export version cheaper as well, price changes all the time, just look around. Or get a used one...

But the import version is  - apart of warranty problems - better. The UK version is called Z-Series on the can and has 24 Ohms impedance. The drivers are the same, but they added two resistors and one capacitor inside, kind of crossover. The sound difference is near zero though. Additionally the Japan version (with Live Beat printed on the can) comes with a thick leather-style bag, while the -E version comes with a super-cheap, thin and ugly soft fabrique bag.

Your choice...

I really like the thin and ugly soft bag. I thought it was the cheapest ugliest thing ever when I got it but it has kept my headphones safe in my backpack for a long time. Still kind of jealous that I did not get a fancier one.

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #2,722 of 4,826
  Neutron ALL DAY

Same here
L3000.gif
beyersmile.png
beerchug.gif

Mar 3, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #2,726 of 4,826
Did you ever contact JVC about spare parts or repair?

And I am sure not only me would appreciate to see details about the inner parts of that headband (I asked about it in a post before). It sems to have metal plus plastic in some way, which makes it unclear if and how far the headband can be bended to adjust it to different head sizes.

Mar 4, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #2,727 of 4,826
ATTENTION ALL ANDROID USERS

I just received my Hifimediy USB Sabre DAC for android and my SZs are pounding my brain like never before. Anyone using an android phone and an amplifier to drive these should look at this tiny little DAC. It may be because my source files are only high quality MP3s or Apple Losless but this DAC clears up the sound so much and makes the bass really punchy.

Hey bud! I currently use the s6 edge plus with a cayin c5 amp, with v moda wireless and am awaiting on my sz1000. Do you think the hifimedy sabre android usb dac would make much difference to the sound quality? Ive been reading about a veiled sound on the sz1000, would the cayin c5 give it the power to remove it or do i need to run the hifinedy with c5? Would really appreciate a reply, cheers and hope your all good!

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #2,728 of 4,826
The cayin didn't do anything for the veil on my sz1k. I've been trying to eq it out but I haven't had much luck. But I haven't had them long, so maybe I'll find some eq settings that accomplish this.

I'm not saying I don't like these headphones. I just use them with music that are up it's alley and they really shine. But I am curious what Robert777 says about that dac mentioned earlier too.

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #2,729 of 4,826
The cayin didn't do anything for the veil on my sz1k. I've been trying to eq it out but I haven't had much luck. But I haven't had them long, so maybe I'll find some eq settings that accomplish this.

I'm not saying I don't like these headphones. I just use them with music that are up it's alley and they really shine. But I am curious what Robert777 says about that dac mentioned earlier too.

Ye ive read about it before and cost wise its a small price to pay i think if it adds polish and finesse my audio, £26 in uk i can deal with. Im loving the eq settings you shared with me aswell so thanks alot buddy.

From what ive read about the dac is that it cleans up and gives slight improvements so just maybe driven with power through that dac will add a touch of sparkle to the sz1000.

Reading these forum posts i have to say ive come across some great bass songs in the region of my music tastes

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #2,730 of 4,826
I'm glad you liked those eq settings. I only use the sz1k at home so adding a dac in the chain wouldn't bother me at all. And a reasonably priced dac too? If it makes a difference with the veil on these I'd definitely be interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back