JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Apr 29, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #2,041 of 4,826
  Is the only way to get my hands on a pair of 55x ear pads is to buy some 55x cans for about $35 USD? I have the brainwavz, they are comfortable but don't slam like I want.

I have some brand new dt770 ear pads that I got before I realized I had blown my 770s :frowning2: -- would those be an improvement over the brainwavz and/or stock sz2k pads as far as bass slam is concerned? What is it about the 55x pads that are so great? Are they just shallow and not soft?

Love the sz2k I just want MOAR. I'm also curious about that dude who wrapped his in car sub tape...

I would tell you how to get just the pads, but my secret source is secret.
tongue.gif
(Okay, it's actually fairly obvious.)

The DT 770 pads are soft, so they probably would not be an improvement in terms of bass slam.

From what I understand, the 55X pads are stiffer and form a better seal, so you get ultimate slam...or something like that.

Apr 29, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #2,042 of 4,826
  Is the only way to get my hands on a pair of 55x ear pads is to buy some 55x cans for about $35 USD? I have the brainwavz, they are comfortable but don't slam like I want.

I have some brand new dt770 ear pads that I got before I realized I had blown my 770s :frowning2: -- would those be an improvement over the brainwavz and/or stock sz2k pads as far as bass slam is concerned? What is it about the 55x pads that are so great? Are they just shallow and not soft?

Love the sz2k I just want MOAR. I'm also curious about that dude who wrapped his in car sub tape...

The used 55x are on ebay for 15 bucks often. Every time I check for folks I find em so it should cost about 15 bucks.

The pads are very firm and dense and pass the bass hit through really well. Pads make a huge difference as we have discovered doing paper tests which are really ghetto but that is energy making the paper move and most cans can't do it and the sz do it best with the xx pads.

ebay...used....get em.

Apr 29, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #2,043 of 4,826
Apr 29, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #2,044 of 4,826
   The used 55x are on ebay for 15 bucks often. Every time I check for folks I find em so it should cost about 15 bucks.

The pads are very firm and dense and pass the bass hit through really well. Pads make a huge difference as we have discovered doing paper tests which are really ghetto but that is energy making the paper move and most cans can't do it and the sz do it best with the xx pads.

ebay...used....get em.

My secret source...revealed! Nooo... Haha.

Hopefully it won't be sold out by the time I buy them...though I wouldn't mind having a backup basshead headphone.

Apr 29, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #2,045 of 4,826

My secret source...revealed! Nooo... Haha.

Hopefully it won't be sold out by the time I buy them...though I wouldn't mind having a backup basshead headphone.

Ha! Disappointed in myself that I hadn't checked ebay for them already... The seller has a few pairs of the pads left also.

May 1, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #2,048 of 4,826
I actually really love the Brainwavz HM5 pads with these. It allows for much longer-term listening for maybe 20% less bass hit. 20% less bass hit is still 50% more bass hit than most cans can produce. At first, I was switching off between the JVC 55x pads and Brainwavz HM5, but I pretty much just leave the HM5 on all the time now.

Anyone know if the new JVC HA-MR60X pads are different/better than the 55x?

May 1, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #2,049 of 4,826
  At first, I was switching off between the JVC 55x pads and Brainwavz HM5, but I pretty much just leave the HM5 on all the time now.

do you have the velour or pleather brainwavz?

May 4, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #2,051 of 4,826
hey friends! i just picked up a pair of sz2000s at e-earphone in Akiba while I was visiting Tokyo. got em for 14000 yen...that plus the exchange rate was too good a deal to not impulse buy these. as has been noted repeatedly in this thread, they are exceedingly mediocre right now. even off of my odac+schiit lyr they sound very ok...not particularly interesting. tonight i'll try pairing them with my jdslabs c421, which has a nice boost

on a mac, is boom 2 my best bet for software eqing? i'm pretty new to eqing and have stayed away from it because the iTunes eq seems to be a bit heavy handed and my attempts at eq generally sound like garbage. i bought a behringer minifbq that i have coming in.

i also picked up some of the 55x pads off of ebay...should be here later in the week.

once i get these sounding hyooge i'm going to try pairing them with the subpac m1 :x

May 4, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #2,052 of 4,826
I'm not sure what your EQ options are for Mac, but take a look at response graphs and compensate for the crap sound signature before boosting bass. I use Equalizer APO on PC. Worth noting is that it is better to subtract dB than add it (or you'll get distortion or simply worse sound). My SZ2000 is at 0dB on sub-bass then like -15 or lower from mid-bass on.

May 5, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #2,053 of 4,826
How do these JVC SZ2000s & SZ1000s compare to the V-Moda M-100s? I heard the JVCs have more bass, but that the overall sound quality isn't very good. Is that true, or just hearsay? Is it also true that the JVCs' midrange lacks detail, or is this just a rumor?

Personally, I'm using a Rockboxed iPod Classic with my 2 sets of 193 custom EQ presets that I can quickly & easily change on the fly -- without distortion. (Many of these presets have huge bass increments with a 24 dB limit.) I'm also running it through a Cayin C5 portable amp with the bass boost switch turned on.

With my V-Modas, I can make them pound hard and sound great, and if I'm maxing out the C5 amp (i.e., driving the amp into clipping), then it's really hurting my ears and I'd practically never listen to it that loud. In my custom EQ presets, I also can use the "Optimized" category to make my V-Modas play classical music almost as well as the Sennheiser HD 650s can. Not perfectly, but almost as well.

Can the JVCs also play classical music almost as well as the HD 650s can with proper EQ'ing? Or would they totally flop at this event? Just curious.

Anyway, I found the response curves of the SZ2000s and the M-100s, which are posted below. (The SZ2000 curve is the first chart, and the M-100 curve is the second chart.)

According to these charts, the M-100s look a lot better -- in my biased opinion.

Well anyway, I'd like to get everyone's thoughts and feelings about the SZ2000s / SZ1000s versus the M-100s. I'm particularly a huge fan of happy, sappy, bubbly dance-pop music, and also enjoy hard and soft rock, country-pop, lounge music, and a little bit of stuff from other genres. Which of these cans would make me smile the most?  
normal_smile .gif

Feedback is welcome.

May 5, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #2,054 of 4,826
  How do these JVC SZ2000s & SZ1000s compare to the V-Moda M-100s? I heard the JVCs have more bass, but that the overall sound quality isn't very good. Is that true, or just hearsay? Is it also true that the JVCs' midrange lacks detail, or is this just a rumor?

Personally, I'm using a Rockboxed iPod Classic with my 2 sets of 193 custom EQ presets that I can quickly & easily change on the fly -- without distortion. (Many of these presets have huge bass increments with a 24 dB limit.) I'm also running it through a Cayin C5 portable amp with the bass boost switch turned on.

With my V-Modas, I can make them pound hard and sound great, and if I'm maxing out the C5 amp (i.e., driving the amp into clipping), then it's really hurting my ears and I'd practically never listen to it that loud. In my custom EQ presets, I also can use the "Optimized" category to make my V-Modas play classical music almost as well as the Sennheiser HD 650s can. Not perfectly, but almost as well.

Can the JVCs also play classical music almost as well as the HD 650s can with proper EQ'ing? Or would they totally flop at this event? Just curious.

Anyway, I found the response curves of the SZ2000s and the M-100s, which are posted below. (The SZ2000 curve is the first chart, and the M-100 curve is the second chart.)

According to these charts, the M-100s look a lot better -- in my biased opinion.

Well anyway, I'd like to get everyone's thoughts and feelings about the SZ2000s / SZ1000s versus the M-100s. I'm particularly a huge fan of happy, sappy, bubbly dance-pop music, and also enjoy hard and soft rock, country-pop, lounge music, and a little bit of stuff from other genres. Which of these cans would make me smile the most?  
normal_smile .gif

Feedback is welcome.

I owned the M100 and don't anymore but do still have the sz2k and 1k
Bass is on another level from m100. Not really close.
Mid hump needs taming and clarity is an issue. Depends on the genre'. Metal rock with fast attack is bad on these while Funk/Rap/Jazz shine.
These should be a part of a collection and not your one and only set IMO. Stock pads are horrible sub bass must be raised via eq and they need the Cayin.
I blew my brains out with these yesterday and that basshead dark smokey nightclub thing never gets old. I'll never sell em ' but they have weaknesses. M100 is dark bassy but limited and will distort on my pref settings. I rec the M100 a lot but for me it didn't do any 1 thing better than anything else.

EDIT
Just read the pop music pref. Maybe save up for some TH900
wink.gif

May 5, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #2,055 of 4,826

normal_smile .gif

Feedback is welcome.

Almost as well as the HD 650? Well that's impressive, if it's true. Then again, classical is one of the easiest genres to sound good in, which is why it's often used to demonstrate gear without showing as much of its weaknesses. I'm actually getting an HD 650 today...if I can be outside at the right time to sign for the darn package.

(FYI, the HD 650 has a maximum power handling capacity of 200 mW at 300 ohms, so that may explain what you experienced in your post in the HD 650 thread.)

I heard that the JVC is superior in most ways to the M-100, but did not verify it myself.

You're using two different measurement graphs from two different sources. You would need to compare measurements from the same source to even say much of anything.

I'm sure you know that the JVC responds very well to EQ. Even its biggest fans will tell you that in its stock form, it's nowhere near as good as it can be. So don't pay too much attention to measurements. If you get it, you should experiment a lot with EQ -- not just presets, but manual parametric tweaking. ...Or just boost the bass like some do.
evil_smiley.gif

As others have said, these are not audiophile headphones. Although I suppose I could use the JVC for any genre of music, I intend on using it mainly for bass-heavy stuff. I have other headphones for other purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back