JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Apr 11, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #2,026 of 4,826
I thought it might just be my ears going bass deaf also, but since the bass could physically be felt before but not quite anymore I don't think that's it either. Also I played around with the gain but didn't notice much difference. I was planning on buying something like an E12 anyway for mobility, so I will propably just do that and see if there's any difference. If the E10 collapsed it's all right, that's easier to replace. I will let you people know how it went incase someone ever run it into any similar problems. Thanks for your inputs.

Apr 22, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #2,030 of 4,826
The midrange cleans up and I didn't listen to them during the burnin period. I was disappointed in the beginning as the mids were dull and it sounded very poor for a $300 headphone but the mids and highs came in after burnin.

It seems to be a trait of JVC Nanotube headphones as all of them exhibit the same characteristics. I have 6 of them including the FXZ100, FXZ200, FX40, SZ1000, SZ2000 and S500.

Apr 22, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #2,031 of 4,826
I also got a chance to a/b test between a brand new Sony xb1000 with a two year old beaten up xb1000 and the difference was night and day. The sound on old headphones was more refined in all aspects.

I would also like to mention before the A/b test the new headphone just sounded as good as the old headphone. Maybe that's where the brain plays it's role, it adjusts to sound accordingly whichever is thrown at it.

Crazy but true in my case and I am not an audiophile.

Apr 27, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #2,032 of 4,826
Quick question as I have been lurking threads about the HA-SZ2000's and I just purchased them ... should be arriving in 2 weeks or so.

Right now I am using DT-770-Pros 80Ohm's being amplified and EQ'd thru my PC via a ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132010

I don't intend on using the SZ2000's on anything but my PC/PS4/Etc , so there will be no portable use with these cans.  I'm not sure how much amplification the STX provides to my 770's but its hit and miss with getting good/great bass output with it.   I figure at the very least the STX can provide EQ/Etc support while having a dedicated amp be a middleman from PC to Headphones.

1.  All I've seen being touted as the amp to pair with the SZ2000's is the Fiio E12,  then I noticed the E12A (Supposedly only for Ear buds, but I've read they are great for full headphones also).  Which is preferred for great bass without sacrificing too much of the mid's and highs.

2. Is the E12/E12A overkill for these headphones?  If so, what are so alternative's to get the best performance vs $$$ range.  Be it AMP or DAC/AMP, portable or a desktop unit.

3.  Would the DT-770-Pro Velour pads be suitable for switching to the SZ2000's and provide proper performance or is there a top 3 or "Go-to" replacement pads everyone uses.

4.  (Purely opinionated for those who have used both cans)  How large of a difference should I be expecting going from DT770Pro-80's to the SZ2000's?

Thanks y'all if you can provide any help!

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #2,033 of 4,826
Quick question as I have been lurking threads about the HA-SZ2000's and I just purchased them ... should be arriving in 2 weeks or so.

Right now I am using DT-770-Pros 80Ohm's being amplified and EQ'd thru my PC via a ASUS Xonar Essence STX
sound card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132010

I don't intend on using the SZ2000's on anything but my PC/PS4/Etc , so there will be no portable use with these cans.  I'm not sure how much amplification the STX provides to my 770's but its hit and miss with getting good/great bass output with it.   I figure at the very least the STX can provide EQ/Etc support while having a dedicated amp be a middleman from PC to Headphones.

1.  All I've seen being touted as the amp to pair with the SZ2000's is the Fiio E12,  then I noticed the E12A (Supposedly only for Ear buds, but I've read they are great for full headphones also).  Which is preferred for great bass without sacrificing too much of the mid's and highs.

2. Is the E12/E12A overkill for these headphones?  If so, what are so alternative's to get the best performance vs $$$ range.  Be it AMP or DAC/AMP, portable or a desktop unit.

3.  Would the DT-770-Pro Velour pads be suitable for switching to the SZ2000's and provide proper performance or is there a top 3 or "Go-to" replacement pads everyone uses.

4.  (Purely opinionated for those who have used both cans)  How large of a difference should I be expecting going from DT770Pro-80's to the SZ2000's?

1. With sz2000 you want as much power as possible as eq:ing the bass to monster level really drains a lot of power. A version not recommended.
2. No it's not overkill, see above. Cayin C5 also rocks. Both are power on budget and have nice bass boost.
3. Jvc 77x or 55x pads. Brainwavz hm5(normal or thick for comfort).
4. On this i cant comment as i have no experience with the dt770.

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #2,034 of 4,826

The difference is quite huge. IMHO both cans don't compete in the same league. The DT770 has a smoother frequency response, is way less coloured than the SZ2000. Without EQ and amp, it also gives better bass than the SZ2000. BUT, the thing with the SZ2000 is that if you use proper amplification and equalizer, which you MUST, then you will unleash the sub bass beast that it is, leaving the DT770 3 laps behind in that area.

The SZ2000 is an insane sub bass monster freak that needs amp and eq to shine. Properly used, its low freq abilities are virtually limitless.
The dt770 is more of an "audiophile" (I hate using this term cause of what nonsense it conveys), general use HP with very good bass right out of the box without eq and amp, though not on par with the sz2000 which is more specialized, in a way.

It all depends what you want...

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #2,035 of 4,826

The difference is quite huge. IMHO both cans don't compete in the same league. The DT770 has a smoother frequency response, is way less coloured than the SZ2000. Without EQ and amp, it also gives better bass than the SZ2000. BUT, the thing with the SZ2000 is that if you use proper amplification and equalizer, which you MUST, then you will unleash the sub bass beast that it is, leaving the DT770 3 laps behind in that area.

The SZ2000 is an insane sub bass monster freak that needs amp and eq to shine. Properly used, its low freq abilities are virtually limitless.
The dt770 is more of an "audiophile" (I hate using this term cause of what nonsense it conveys), general use HP with very good bass right out of the box without eq and amp, though not on par with the sz2000 which is more specialized, in a way.

It all depends what you want...

Well, with the DT770's the all around performance of the HP's were pretty good, tho the bass power was very hit or miss.  (While powered by an Asus STX headphone amp) The mids were fine, the highs nails on chalkboard if you loved that treble.

I never thought of the 770's as audiophile "grade" phones, as at the time I was just looking for an upgrade from my Sennhieser 350's (Modded, and the version which used the 550? drivers)

Before ya posted this I went ahead and ordered a Cayin C5 amp, and 55x headphones for $19 to salvage the pads off them.  The Asus STX will be taking care of EQ/Etc.

After your post I'm wondering If I'll end up preferring the DT770's just having that extra power from the amp.

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #2,036 of 4,826

Well, with the DT770's the all around performance of the HP's were pretty good, tho the bass power was very hit or miss.  (While powered by an Asus STX headphone amp) The mids were fine, the highs nails on chalkboard if you loved that treble.

I never thought of the 770's as audiophile "grade" phones, as at the time I was just looking for an upgrade from my Sennhieser 350's (Modded, and the version which used the 550? drivers)

Before ya posted this I went ahead and ordered a Cayin C5 amp, and 55x headphones for $19 to salvage the pads off them.  The Asus STX will be taking care of EQ/Etc.

After your post I'm wondering If I'll end up preferring the DT770's just having that extra power from the amp.

You'll have both.

A C5 with SZ and XX pads and an eq boost at 31 and 62 Hz is peerless for head pounding clean bass.

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #2,037 of 4,826

That's funny how perception differs from one person to the other 
biggrin.gif
I'm very sensitive to harsh treble and think the highs of my 770 pro 80 on my setup are just as sweet, soft and mellow as it gets. Also I can tell you my dt770 bass is not hit or miss... it's more hit, punch & kick
L3000.gif

I don't think they're "audiophile" grade either, I just meant by that that they go well with all types of music imho, whereas the SZ2000 are for a more specialized use (edm, hip-hop, good with movies too).

Having extra power changes things a lot, even with non hungry headphones. I didn't believe in it at first when I started taking this headphones thing seriously and joined head-fi. Then I ordered a desktop amp, for convenience purpose initially, and I actually rediscovered all my headphones. I wouldn't say you need it, but it's a huge improvement for most headphones. And with the SZ2000, it's just mandatory.

I haven't tried the C5, but from all the talk from HBB and others on the forum, I think you'll love the extra power.

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #2,038 of 4,826
  I don't think they're "audiophile" grade either, I just meant by that that they go well with all types of music imho, whereas the SZ2000 are for a more specialized use (edm, hip-hop, good with movies too).

****, i've been using them all wrong then!

Right now I am using DT-770-Pros 80Ohm's being amplified and EQ'd thru my PC via a ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132010

1) I don't think it's really overkill, but it might be a little too much for your intended use. You should try them out first with the STX and if you're not satisfied with the result, go for either the E12 or the Cayin C5, either way works.

2) I like the Cayin C5 better, but where i live there's a lot of cheap E12 on the used market. You could consider the O2+Odac amp too, but it might be a little "clean" for the SZ2000 (i like it, but i've used it with Wasapi + FabFilter Pro-Q so far)

3) I use those, and they're pretty comfortable, though the bass levels are not the same as with the JVC 55x or 77x or the HM5 pads. They also add a little more strain to the headband, and since the plastic on these is not that good, it might be an issue. I tried the 990 pads too, but they're too shallow. Right now i went back to the stock pads with some paper rings inside to add more depth. SQ-wise, the 770 pads are pretty good, they clear a little the veiling these pads have right out of the box. If you're looking for a more "balanced" sound, they're a good choice. For maximum bass, the HM5 or the 55/77x pads are great.

I can't really answer the 4th, because i haven't used the DT770 in a while (and i'm not a big fan of its signature), but from what i remember, they are worlds apart. So you should expect a big difference, but the biggest difference is going to be in the lower end range. That low end rumble is earth-shakingly good. I hope that helps :D!

Apr 29, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #2,039 of 4,826
What's up, guys?!
biggrin.gif
Haven't posted to this thread in awhile.

I canceled my previous order for the SZ2K because it was taking forever to ship and I needed the money. I've bought, sold, and traded lots of headphones this year. (See my profile.) I'm moving into a new place in the immediate future and will probably buy an HD 650 soon after. If I'm satisfied with that for audiophile purposes (I know it's not exactly the most accurate headphone), the SZ2K should be next on my list, along with the HM5 and 55X pads. I will just use a Schiit Fulla amp/DAC until I can afford the Ragnarok and Yggdrasil. (Those are $4K, so I wouldn't get them until after I have ultra-high-end headphones.)

Apr 29, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #2,040 of 4,826
Is the only way to get my hands on a pair of 55x ear pads is to buy some 55x cans for about $35 USD? I have the brainwavz, they are comfortable but don't slam like I want.

I have some brand new dt770 ear pads that I got before I realized I had blown my 770s :frowning2: -- would those be an improvement over the brainwavz and/or stock sz2k pads as far as bass slam is concerned? What is it about the 55x pads that are so great? Are they just shallow and not soft?

Love the sz2k I just want MOAR. I'm also curious about that dude who wrapped his in car sub tape...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back