JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Jan 31, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #1,786 of 4,826
Hawaiibadboy, how close in terms of SQ do you consider the MA900 and an equalized SZ2000/1000?  I ask because I really like the MA900, I know it's open and has a totally different signature but I'm really considering getting the SZx000 after selling my A900x and bass guitar.

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #1,787 of 4,826
  Hawaiibadboy, how close in terms of SQ do you consider the MA900 and an equalized SZ2000/1000?  I ask because I really like the MA900, I know it's open and has a totally different signature but I'm really considering getting the SZx000 after selling my A900x and bass guitar.

This is my eq for ma-900 

the SZ I switch to a setting that drops the 250Hz area on up to the bottom as they don't need any lift when I'm in bass mode.

If I leave this (top rock eq) on the sz it is a more intimate bass present playback of the same thing.

To the person who mentioned it I believe that a pair of open back wide staged cans and a closed back more intimate and bass heavy delivers  all one needs in the headphone arena ( not including iem's)

My SZ are my main  cans and have been for 1 year and gikigil who was in this thread from the start still rocks his set. he owns other cans though. These are not one and done cans. These are maybe your closed back cans but the wider soundstage and airy highs are gotten by open back and that's the way it is.

SZ are not gonna be your one and only though like me....they can be your main squeeze
biggrin.gif

I love these cans. They will never distort (break my heart) if I feed them right and they will give me head thumping vocal butter awesomeness. I am a happy owner 12 months on

So 2 Japanese imports the SZ got the closed and the 70mm bass lens ma-900 got the open covered and they are no where near audiophile priced.

Feb 1, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #1,790 of 4,826
Ok I read your comment a couple of times and from what I'm getting is that you really like the sz2000's but you think you can find something better? am i right?

Negative, I don't think there are a pair of cans that can put out the low end cleaner than the SZ 2000's. I'm 36 years old and have been a bass head since the late 80's when I was 8 years old and my neighbors had six fifteens in his car and would take me for cruises with him. I've been through numerous car audio and home systems and as I've gotten older my listening habits have had to change as I have kids now and can't gut an entire car to "wall it off" anymore. Having attended and competed in a various car audio competitions, these cans are what we call "SQL", meaning they get loud but do it cleanly over a large frequency spectrum. Are they meant for any other genre other than edm, hip hop, trance, and techno? I would say no, because the mid range is very recessed and the sound stage is not as wide as I've heard from other cans in the same price range (eg. UE 9000, however to me these had absolutely no low end at all even after 100 hours of break end time). My post is simply to save someone on the fence extra cash out of there pocket searching for the ultimate set of bass cans. At this point when paired with proper amplification they can't be beat. So my quest is over for pure, clean, undistorted headphone bass as the SZ 2000 just stomps all over my headphone collection.

Feb 1, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #1,791 of 4,826
Negative, I don't think there are a pair of cans that can put out the low end cleaner than the SZ 2000's. I'm 36 years old and have been a bass head since the late 80's when I was 8 years old and my neighbors had six fifteens in his car and would take me for cruises with him. I've been through numerous car audio and home systems and as I've gotten older my listening habits have had to change as I have kids now and can't gut an entire car to "wall it off" anymore. Having attended and competed in a various car audio competitions, these cans are what we call "SQL", meaning they get loud but do it cleanly over a large frequency spectrum. Are they meant for any other genre other than edm, hip hop, trance, and techno? I would say no, because the mid range is very recessed and the sound stage is not as wide as I've heard from other cans in the same price range (eg. UE 9000, however to me these had absolutely no low end at all even after 100 hours of break end time). My post is simply to save someone on the fence extra cash out of there pocket searching for the ultimate set of bass cans. At this point when paired with proper amplification they can't be beat. So my quest is over for pure, clean, undistorted headphone bass as the SZ 2000 just stomps all over my headphone collection.

I just dropped a note at car audio . com about the basshead thread cuz I sometimes forget the number of folks in your and my situation who gotta get there bass where they can which is not anywhere they damn please anymore. I gotta pass it on. Thanks for reminding me.

Feb 1, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #1,792 of 4,826

To this day, I have yet to see a comparison between the JVC HA-SZ2000 and Abyss AB-1266. The latter is said by many to have the highest quality bass in any headphone, closest to the sound of speakers, but is in an entirely different price range ($5,495 / $4,495 without accessories), which is likely the reason why. Anyway, if I ever get both, I will post a comparison. I guess the bass is the only area in which they would compete.

So does anyone else use the SZ2K with non-electronic genres?

Feb 1, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #1,793 of 4,826

To this day, I have yet to see a comparison between the JVC HA-SZ2000 and Abyss AB-1266. The latter is said by many to have the highest quality bass in any headphone, closest to the sound of speakers, but is in an entirely different price range ($5,495 / $4,495 without accessories), which is likely the reason why. Anyway, if I ever get both, I will post a comparison. I guess the bass is the only area in which they would compete.

I've never heard the Abyss had the highest quality? Most planars are alike in that they have excellent quality and subbass quantity (neutral all the way down, give or take a little). I'm fairly sure best bass quality would go to HE-400i/HE-560, LCD-X or Stax SR-009. Some IEMs, too.

Feb 1, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #1,794 of 4,826
Hawaiibadboy, have you also heard the JVC DX700? I'm considering saving up for those, but I'm not positive I won't buy the JVC SZ1000 on the way towards that goal. I feel like I should get both.

Feb 1, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #1,795 of 4,826
  I've never heard the Abyss had the highest quality? Most planars are alike in that they have excellent quality and subbass quantity (neutral all the way down, give or take a little). I'm fairly sure best bass quality would go to HE-400i/HE-560, LCD-X or Stax SR-009. Some IEMs, too.

Maybe I meant balance of quantity and quality, and more specifically, similarity to speakers. My point was that out of all the high-end headphone reviews I have read, on average, people were impressed by the bass of the AB-1266 more than any other headphone. I'm not sure how the quantity compares to the SZ2K. Oh, and speaking of IEMs, I heard the Final Audio Design LAB I had the best sub-bass extension and a few other things.

Feb 1, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #1,799 of 4,826
  Hawaiibadboy, have you also heard the JVC DX700? I'm considering saving up for those, but I'm not positive I won't buy the JVC SZ1000 on the way towards that goal. I feel like I should get both.

Have you ever heard wood cups? Old denon? Sounds similar. It's an acquired taste. I personally love the DX  700 and 1000

I would be front row for a bass paper test with sine waves
popcorn.gif
I have heard the Abyss maybe 5 times and the bass is faster of course but the diaphragm design is not for slapping your face. I'd still be front row virtually if you ever compared bass.
biggrin.gif

I use the SZ with rock and roll. The suggestions and placebo effect of them had convinced me of it's inability but with a good stream of power and a eq fetish I was listening to Aerosmiths greatest hits last night and was at the show.

Interestingly these do not play .FLAC files of rock well as the highs sound grindy (to me) which I have never in one year heard before. 320kbps files of same track and vocals were like smooth butter again
blink.gif

Feb 1, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #1,800 of 4,826
I would be front row for a bass paper test with sine waves
popcorn.gif
I have heard the Abyss maybe 5 times and the bass is faster of course but the diaphragm design is not for slapping your face. I'd still be front row virtually if you ever compared bass.
biggrin.gif

I use the SZ with rock and roll. The suggestions and placebo effect of them had convinced me of it's inability but with a good stream of power and a eq fetish I was listening to Aerosmiths greatest hits last night and was at the show.

Interestingly these do not play .FLAC files of rock well as the highs sound grindy (to me) which I have never in one year heard before. 320kbps files of same track and vocals were like smooth butter again
blink.gif

hehe! It should be interesting whenever the time comes. I kind of assumed the SZ2K would have more bass, but not sure about anything else.

That reminds me of this one rock song that sounds bassier on YouTube, but the lossless version is much more bright and detailed, which in this case works against itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back