JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Jul 1, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #1,201 of 4,826
hmm i dont know what to do with my JVC headphone since i heave the beats mixr (IDD THE BEATS MIXR). The mixr play louder than the jvc and the bass goes just as hard. They also let your teeth rattle in your mouth. I was planning on keeping both the jvc and the beats, but if i just keep the beats, i would save 300 euros... hmm

Jul 1, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #1,202 of 4,826
hmm i dont know what to do with my JVC headphone since i heave the beats mixr (IDD THE BEATS MIXR). The mixr play louder than the jvc and the bass goes just as hard. They also let your teeth rattle in your mouth. I was planning on keeping both the jvc and the beats, but if i just keep the beats, i would save 300 euros... hmm

Dude, I'm a massive fan of mixr beats cans, but I was so amazed by your post putting the mixr's on level pegging with the SZ2000's that I grabbed my mixr's E17, iPod and SZ2000 cans and did some A-B comparing using same test track on Extreme Bass thread - Wiz Khalifa - On My Level, with E17 bass on max level 10 and here's my thoughts.

Mixr's - for 40mm drivers on ear can these do take extreme bass without distorting until high volume levels, but just before you can hear the drivers start to distort, those 40mm drivers resting on my ears felt like they were going to pop out due to the strain.

SZ2000 - don't distort at same level as mixr's (level for each can was as much as I could take without permanent ear damage - but I was very brief at these volume extremities). Rather than distort the SZ2000 simply start to vibrate on your head and the over ear bigger cups are more comfortable and give as you would expect with bigger cups than the mixr's - a more airy sound for music to move within - the mixr's blast directly down my ear lobes and the concentration of sound becomes quite uncomfortable at very high volume .

I also don't think the mixr's have the same level of body in its bass as the SZ2000.

The mixr's play very loud because they are designed for pro DJ use where club environment dictates that to monitor live and cued up music successfully in a loud setting, the headphones need plenty of volume - not to play at full blast as this would cause almost certain permanent hearing damage, but so that they can be played at a reasonable monitoring level without distorting - drivers aren't being pushed to there extremities. But playing a track very loud doesn't equate to harder bass impact - you're just playing louder. The SZ2000 seem to me to have the bass impact at lower volume levels and even when raised to mixr level - the sound is not harsh at all - cans just vibrate on my head - whereas the mixr's in comparison feel like they are starting to screech harshly and quite unpleasant.

The SZ2000 are basshead canons that bass responds to EQing amazingly, the beats mixr cans are superb DJ cans that are bassy and do well to a point in responding to bass EQing but are designed to play loud for DJ application which should not be confused with playing louder = better :wink:

If any site visitor looking for basshead cans read your post on extreme basshead thread or this one here, they'd think that mixr beats were a bigger bass can than the SZ2000 - and that's just flawed

Jul 1, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #1,203 of 4,826

This is the sz2000 with xx pads just like yours and they will vibe your skull. The Mixr are nice cans but on ear bass cans. Lottsa bass but not head shaking or cannons. 

There is no comparison.

Mixrs are great for potable and bass on the go but are not on the same level as the sz.....not near the same level.
Your own videos show this. The beauty of the vids is it takes out opinion and inserts something resembling objectiveness
I'm super hapy you take the time but don't confuse folks that the Mixr will slam their head....your vids show something very diff and that's fine....but it sounds like you are calling oranges apples and comparing them to apples

EDIT:
I think cb is wearing them in his avatar (Mixr)....they are great cans. Your post sounded like they were cannons though....I never thought that but applaud the vids....strongly disagree with your implications though

Jul 2, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #1,204 of 4,826
I bought my pair of HE-560 pads, just in case my SZ2000 come back from the living (saturday i'll know if i can use them or not), either way, i could use those on my DT990 pro either way.

Jul 2, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #1,205 of 4,826
I have a spare set of HM5 pads to use on the sz2000, and they seem very squishy.... I feel like the headphones would rest closer than farther away? Have you found this to be true/false? 

i guess I'll find out myself in a few days, but i'm just excited :)

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #1,206 of 4,826
i dont agree with this and the videos dont give a good image because it all depends on how you lay the paper on it.
this is not the basshead thread.
put the fiio on +10 bass gain 6 and volume 25 with the mixr
then do the same with the sz. you have to go up to volume 30 with the sz.
no way the sz gives you more bass then. im not talking about playing it so loud it will distort. nobody listens to music that loud

Jul 2, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #1,207 of 4,826
i dont agree with this and the videos dont give a good image because it all depends on how you lay the paper on it.
this is not the basshead thread.
put the fiio on +10 bass gain 6 and volume 25 with the mixr
then do the same with the sz. you have to go up to volume 30 with the sz.
no way the sz gives you more bass then. im not talking about playing it so loud it will distort. nobody listens to music that loud

The Beats Mixr are 40mm drivers
You don't like to talk about em then go to the basshead thread.

You can position the paper ANY way you like and it will not output match a 55mm driver in a dual chamber with dual port tubes sending low freq right into your ears. That's crazy talk.
Another person did a better vid and the Mixr looked even more powerful in that vid but it's not near the sz. 55mm >40mm ...everytime.

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #1,209 of 4,826
I can understand what you mean. But those videos are played at volumes that will kill your hearing. Im talking about normal listening levels. But perhaps i havnt eq my sz enough?

No they are not. I listen to those cans at that level. I'm a basshead. I have always been 100% clear about amping/pads and my personal tastes. 

no way the sz gives you more bass then. im not talking about playing it so loud it will distort. 

I have owned these since March 6th and have intentionally NEVER distorted these babies. I love my cans. I love them so much I bought the brother 1000's

We disagree on listening levels and of course that's personal taste. Everybody likes what they like and at whatever level they like.
I found these because they did NOT distort on my settings which was amazing. The Mixr's did. They are 40mm. Most 50mm drivers distort at my settings.  At your listening levels...I cannot comment. On heavy bass with lots of amp my SZ's are on another level from the Mixr and all other 40mm and 50mm dynamic driver cans. @PocketSmiley ...The Chief of Acoustic Science for the Extreme Bass club found me and we connected because we choose cans by pushing them to the limit. I want my ears to beg for mercy before my cans do. That is a very very hard request to fulfill. The SZ will do that. So I own both the 2000 ad 1000 series.

This is the SZ appreciation thread so I'll stop bassing this thread but I appreciate my SZ very much. Would put them up against any can on the consumer market using car audio bass tracks like this:

That's a Car Audio competition track not distorting anything but the paper which...if you full screen is not vibing...it's warping and twisting. It's kinda insane.....but it's not distorting
wink.gif

Jul 2, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #1,210 of 4,826
I got a lovely present from the usps lady :) sz2000's biaaaatch!

So very first impressions...

straight plugged into my computer audio jack, no eq.... wow, extremely  dark, muddy, muffled sound, bloated, messy bass. Still made me smile, because i was hearing frequencies i hadn't before in songs.

Next, swapped the stock pads with the spare HM5 pads I'm glad I didn't throw out, (that gape, tho, lol... i didn't think they'd stretch and look fine, that's what she said) and i plugged them into the Schiit Magni/Modi, no eq... listened to the same songs... IMMENSE DIFFERENCE The headphones now were very clear, bass was tight, (bass amount/volume also significantly decreased but now in line with other frequencies) highs were crisp. I don't have a very good ear, so i can't pick up on the minutia.  i then played some bass mekanik songs, and wow, everything is audible/present. 30hz plays just as confidently as 300. Very cool!

So i am still trying to load a proper eq, one with a very low end, so i can really see what these puppies can do, but in the meantime, i will be relistening to all my songs to better experience the subbass register :)

Thanks you big bad hawaiin boi!

Jul 2, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #1,211 of 4,826
  I got a lovely present from the usps lady :) sz2000's biaaaatch!

So very first impressions...

straight plugged into my computer audio jack, no eq.... wow, extremely  dark, muddy, muffled sound, bloated, messy bass. Still made me smile, because i was hearing frequencies i hadn't before in songs.

Next, swapped the stock pads with the spare HM5 pads I'm glad I didn't throw out, (that gape, tho, lol... i didn't think they'd stretch and look fine, that's what she said) and i plugged them into the Schiit Magni/Modi, no eq... listened to the same songs... IMMENSE DIFFERENCE The headphones now were very clear, bass was tight, (bass amount/volume also significantly decreased but now in line with other frequencies) highs were crisp. I don't have a very good ear, so i can't pick up on the minutia.  i then played some bass mekanik songs, and wow, everything is audible/present. 30hz plays just as confidently as 300. Very cool!

So i am still trying to load a proper eq, one with a very low end, so i can really see what these puppies can do, but in the meantime, i will be relistening to all my songs to better experience the subbass register :)

Thanks you big bad hawaiin boi!

Congrats!!
beerchug.gif

Switched pads...gonna mess with an eq and amp....your're at the summit of Mt Bass...you just need to tweak it to match personal tastes but these things are gems!! You got yourself some awesome cans that can excel in many ways at many things. Many happy moments coming!! Congrats and welcome to the family!!

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #1,212 of 4,826
Heya guys! So after messing with EQing and grabbing the e12, I'd say I'm almost at endgame bass that we all crave and are here for. :D

The last thing I need for my Sz2000s, are a nice pair of replacement pads! I've heard the 55x give the best bass but also lacks on isolation. I may still get these for the maxed out bass, but when I want to jam on the go, which pads will provide better comfort and isolation? I've been looking at Beyer velours as they have great depth and comfort, but I'm not sure how they'll isolate the immense bass or if it will affect it's sound in any bad way as well. I've also been looking at the Alpha pads which are at the top of my list by far, but unfortunately, $60 for pads is just too much for me ATM, so maybe I'll find a used pair or something? And lastly the HM5 pads which I've heard good and bad from. I've heard you need to stretch them and that they're too soft, but I've also heard that they're firm and fit these nicely and complement the bass decently! I'm a bit stumped, so if somebody could help me out, that would be awesome! Thanks guys! (;

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #1,213 of 4,826
Heya guys! So after messing with EQing and grabbing the e12, I'd say I'm almost at endgame bass that we all crave and are here for.
biggrin.gif

The last thing I need for my Sz2000s, are a nice pair of replacement pads! I've heard the 55x give the best bass but also lacks on isolation. I may still get these for the maxed out bass, but when I want to jam on the go, which pads will provide better comfort and isolation? I've been looking at Beyer velours as they have great depth and comfort, but I'm not sure how they'll isolate the immense bass or if it will affect it's sound in any bad way as well. I've also been looking at the Alpha pads which are at the top of my list by far, but unfortunately, $60 for pads is just too much for me ATM, so maybe I'll find a used pair or something? And lastly the HM5 pads which I've heard good and bad from. I've heard you need to stretch them and that they're too soft, but I've also heard that they're firm and fit these nicely and complement the bass decently! I'm a bit stumped, so if somebody could help me out, that would be awesome! Thanks guys! (;

HM5 pads: instant improvement on the stock pads. They stretch pretty easily to the round shape of the JVC cups.

In terms of isolation, it's the best - it made the JVCs both isolated from external noises and from sound leakage. This made the JVCs much better for transport and office use.

I do agree with some of the criticism though that it still could be deeper. I think that they must start to lose their shape after a while because now it does feel like the drivers are more directly on top of my ears than when i first put the HM5 pads on.

I do love the Alpha pads and have them on my Mad Dogs. With the Alpha pads - I wrote here before that, while it worked for some on the JVCs, for me the fit was too loose, so not isolated enough, and also it was too bulky and I felt like I was really stretching the headband when I put the JVC + Alphas on my head. So the Alphas are back at work with the Mad Dogs. (By the way, the FiiO 12 finally made me enjoy the Mad Dogs as a portable headphones - I think my previous amp, though much pricier, was simply not up to the task, power measurements wise).

If you look a page or two back, I posted about the very promising new HE-560 pads, which have been getting some terrific reviews. They seem to be doing some things just right (ie angling similar to Alpha pads, internal air vents, smart combination of materials that will hopefully will tap into the advantages of each material). These just went to sale earlier this week I think. I already ordered a pair ($40), to try on both the HE-500 and the JVCs. I'll post comments when I get these.

Jul 3, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #1,214 of 4,826
Slightly off-topic, but I would rather ask the lot here.
I need something cheap, like 20-50 dollars, just for when I go to the gym to workout.
It has to be a dynamic driver, I ruined my pair of E5Cs from sweating and long bouts of cardio.

Any recommendations?

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #1,215 of 4,826
HM5 pads: instant improvement on the stock pads. They stretch pretty easily to the round shape of the JVC cups.

In terms of isolation, it's the best - it made the JVCs both isolated from external noises and from sound leakage. This made the JVCs much better for transport and office use.

I do agree with some of the criticism though that it still could be deeper. I think that they must start to lose their shape after a while because now it does feel like the drivers are more directly on top of my ears than when i first put the HM5 pads on.

I do love the Alpha pads and have them on my Mad Dogs. With the Alpha pads - I wrote here before that, while it worked for some on the JVCs, for me the fit was too loose, so not isolated enough, and also it was too bulky and I felt like I was really stretching the headband when I put the JVC + Alphas on my head. So the Alphas are back at work with the Mad Dogs. (By the way, the FiiO 12 finally made me enjoy the Mad Dogs as a portable headphones - I think my previous amp, though much pricier, was simply not up to the task, power measurements wise).

If you look a page or two back, I posted about the very promising new HE-560 pads, which have been getting some terrific reviews. They seem to be doing some things just right (ie angling similar to Alpha pads, internal air vents, smart combination of materials that will hopefully will tap into the advantages of each material). These just went to sale earlier this week I think. I already ordered a pair ($40), to try on both the HE-500 and the JVCs. I'll post comments when I get these.

This is perfect! Thanks so much, man! I'll wait for your thoughts on the Hifiman pads and I'll go with those or the HM5s, or if I hear good things of beyer pads on them, those may still be an option! Thanks again, buddy! Appreciate it!

- I'll probably get the HM5 pads at this rate, but if anyone has any thought of Beyer pads on them, please share whatcha think! Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back