JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Jun 19, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #1,156 of 4,826
So, can those who now have both SZ2000 and SZ1000 say what are the noticable difference in the sound? does either one sound "better" in any way? in terms of Bass of course but also mids and highs...

(my wallet doesn't want me to ask this question but curiosity is getting the better of me!!)

Jun 20, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #1,158 of 4,826

Try playing this pre-EQd test track with ever

ything flat. Raise the volume +24dB, or until you can hear the vocals at normal volume. Test your M100 and see how loud it reaches before distortion, and compare that limit to that of the SZ. As for you saying "i cant distort my m100 at listening level. When you go to insane levels maybe but whats the purpose of that," you want to do this because you can't make claims about capabilities until you hear how far a pair can reproduce frequencies before distortion. Using stock frequency responses to make claims about capabilities makes the claims irrelevant when you can use an EQ anyway, unless you're an anti-EQ purist (which is fine too). And if you haven't realized already, the majority of the recent SZ owners are extreme bassheads (some maybe not too extreme) converted by Hawaii. The maximum bass SPL the SZ can reach is insane--but you know what? I think my ears can handle louder. And I couldn't even settle for anything less--like my 77X, which literally changed my world, is kept in a cabinet as it couldn't even touch the SZ's maximum bass.

I tried this track with both the m100 and the jvc, and idd the jvc has much better bass on this track. My whole head vibrates on this track.I also have to say that the jvc sounds more open than the m100. Has a better soundstage. Where the m100 sound harsch if you play them loud. I notice this now since ive got the jvc to compare. The sound is also really improving on the jvc the more they burn in. This was really a great buy

Can someone perhaps help me with EQ settings? Im too new for this to know what im doing. I want as much bass as possible without the bass bleeding into the rest of the song. These are my settings right now

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #1,160 of 4,826
I'm trying to determine if these are going to be listenable for me. The Sony xb series was horrible for me, muddy mids and highs. Are these just bass canons or do they really have reasonable mids, highs imaging and clarity, using the Sony xb series (mainly the 500) as a benchmark? Thanks.

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #1,162 of 4,826
I'm trying to determine if these are going to be listenable for me. The Sony xb series was horrible for me, muddy mids and highs. Are these just bass canons or do they really have reasonable mids, highs imaging and clarity, using the Sony xb series (mainly the 500) as a benchmark? Thanks.

The SZ1000 has reasonably good clarity and midrange. It isn't an open and airy as other closed headphones I have (or have tried), but I wouldn't expect it from bassy headphones anyway. I just got a pair. It isn't as clear as the Logitech UE6000 or the AKG K550, but neither of those can deliver the strong bass punch of the SZ1000. I have only tried Sony XBs a few times in stores, so the listening experience wasn't ideal, but they did seem like a muddy mess to me.

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #1,163 of 4,826
  The SZ1000 has reasonably good clarity and midrange. It isn't an open and airy as other closed headphones I have (or have tried), but I wouldn't expect it from bassy headphones anyway. I just got a pair. It isn't as clear as the Logitech UE6000 or the AKG K550, but neither of those can deliver the strong bass punch of the SZ1000. I have only tried Sony XBs a few times in stores, so the listening experience wasn't ideal, but they did seem like a muddy mess to me.

Welcome bro!!
biggrin.gif

Change the pads depending on your listening tastes. Plenty posts in here about dt770 velours HM5's Alpha Pads and stuff.

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #1,164 of 4,826

Below are my impressions posted on another thread: ...

What can I say, these are definitely bass monsters just like their SZ2000 brother. That Beats track... damn, it re-arranged my face and I think I'm still cross-eyed...
Regarding overall sound sig, good news is that they DO sound warm overall but a bit more "tamed" than the SZ2000 (as I remember them). Vocals are less in your face as well. So I can say that up to this point, I prefer these more than the SZ2000 BUT... lack of clarity still kills me!!! 

These were a few of my impressions in my home set-up for the SZ2000 a year ago:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661129/jvc-ha-sz2000-1000-appreciation-thread/450#post_9520851

JVC definitely has the BIGGER more rounded Bass, definitely a few more dBs in the bass section (sub/mid-bass), also everything is more "in your face" on the JVCs (probably due to lower impedance and me trying to match them volumes lol), yes, even the mids... BUT the lack of clarity borders on "budget/mid-fi" to me (i.e. mids less clear than AT M50s, Shure 840s, etc. ... only on head-fi those two are "budget" cans LOL). 

(this above was me comparing the SZ2000s to my basshead faves Ultrasone Sig DJs mostly)

Now, the SZ1000 seem to do a BIT better with that regard but I'd definitely like them to be cleaner.
And this is actually not obvious on bassy tracks or genres like Reggaeton, Hip-hop, etc. but load up some metalcore or straight up rock and I definitely start missing the "bite", the guitar "crunch", etc. Which is kind of weird since the headphone I use the most (MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs) are warm as well but they definitely have clearer mids specifically.

Anyway, for a basshead (true basshead) these are definitely a great pick.

Personally I would still pick Monster N-Pulse headphones (similar price range?!) or the Yamaha Pro 500s over these IF you are not looking for an "Extreme" experience.

Jun 24, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #1,165 of 4,826

Below are my impressions posted on another thread: ...

What can I say, these are definitely bass monsters just like their SZ2000 brother. That Beats track... damn, it re-arranged my face and I think I'm still cross-eyed...
Regarding overall sound sig, good news is that they DO sound warm overall but a bit more "tamed" than the SZ2000 (as I remember them). Vocals are less in your face as well. So I can say that up to this point, I prefer these more than the SZ2000 BUT... lack of clarity still kills me!!! 

These were a few of my impressions in my home set-up for the SZ2000 a year ago:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661129/jvc-ha-sz2000-1000-appreciation-thread/450#post_9520851

(this above was me comparing the SZ2000s to my basshead faves Ultrasone Sig DJs mostly)

Now, the SZ1000 seem to do a BIT better with that regard but I'd definitely like them to be cleaner.
And this is actually not obvious on bassy tracks or genres like Reggaeton, Hip-hop, etc. but load up some metalcore or straight up rock and I definitely start missing the "bite", the guitar "crunch", etc. Which is kind of weird since the headphone I use the most (MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs) are warm as well but they definitely have clearer mids specifically.

Anyway, for a basshead (true basshead) these are definitely a great pick.

Personally I would still pick Monster N-Pulse headphones (similar price range?!) or the Yamaha Pro 500s over these IF you are not looking for an "Extreme" experience.

Kick Drum

Any apparent muddiness can be rolled off around 300Hz. Try a small boost around 5-7kHz to add some high end.

50-100Hz ~ Adds bottom to the sound
100-250Hz ~ Adds roundness
250-800Hz ~ Muddiness Area
5-8kHz ~ Adds high end prescence
8-12kHz ~ Adds Hiss

Snare

Try a small boost around 60-120Hz if the sound is a little too wimpy. Try boosting around 6kHz for that 'snappy' sound.

100-250Hz ~ Fills out the sound
6-8kHz ~ Adds prescence

Hi hats or cymbals

Any apparent muddiness can be rolled off around 300Hz. To add some brightness try a small boost around 3kHz.

250-800Hz ~ Muddiness area
1-6kHz ~ Adds presence
6-8kHz ~ Adds clarity
8-12kHz ~ Adds brightness

Bass

Try boosting around 60Hz to add more body. Any apparent muddiness can be rolled off around 300Hz.If more presence is needed, boost around 6kHz.

50-100Hz ~ Adds bottom end
250-800Hz ~ Muddiness Area
800-1kHz ~ Adds beef to small speakers
1-6kHz ~ Adds presence
6-8kHz ~ Adds high-end presence
8-12kHz ~ Adds hiss

Vocals

This is a difficult one, as it depends on the mic used to record the vocal. However...Apply either cut or boost around 300hz, depending on the mic and song.Apply a very small boost around 6kHz to add some clarity.

100-250Hz ~ Adds 'up-frontness'
1-6kHz ~ Adds presence
6-8kHz ~ Adds sibilance and clarity

Piano

Any apparent muddiness can be rolled off around 300Hz. Apply a very small boost around 6kHz to add some clarity.

50-100Hz ~ Adds bottom
250-1kHz ~ Muddiness area
1-6kHz ~ Adds presence
6-8Khz ~ Adds clarity
8-12kHz ~ Adds hiss

Electric guitars

Again this depends on the mix and the recording. Apply either cut or boost around 300hz, depending on the song and sound. Try boosting around 3kHz to add some edge to the sound, or cut to add some transparency. Try boosting around 6kHz to add presence. Try boosting around 10kHz to add brightness.

100-250Hz ~ Adds body
1-6Khz ~ Cuts through the mix
6-8kHz ~ Adds clarity
8=12kHz ~ Adds hiss

Acoustic guitar

Any apparent muddiness can be rolled off between 100-300Hz. Apply small amounts of cut around 1-3kHz to push the image higher. Apply small amounts of boost around 5kHz to add some presence.

100-250Hz ~ Adds body
6-8kHz ~ Adds clarity

Strings

These depend entirely on the mix and the sound used.

50-100Hz ~ Adds bottom end
100-250Hz ~ Adds body
1-6hHz ~ Sounds crunchy
6-8kHz ~ Adds clarity

-----------

50Hz

1. Increase to add more fullness to lowest frequency instruments like foot, toms, and the bass.
2. Reduce to decrease the "boom" of the bass and will increase overtones and the recognition of bass line in the mix. This is most often used on bass lines in Rap and R&B.

100Hz

Increase to add a harder bass sound to lowest frequency instruments.
Increase to add fullness to guitars, snare.
Increase to add warmth to piano and horns.
Reduce to remove boom on guitars & increase clarity.

200Hz

1. Increase to add fullness to vocals.
2. Increase to add fullness to snare and guitar (harder sound).
3. Reduce to decrease muddiness of vocals or mid-range instruments.
4. Reduce to decrease gong sound of cymbals.

400Hz

1. Increase to add clarity to bass lines especially when speakers are at low volume.
2. Reduce to decrease "cardboard" sound of lower drums (foot and toms).
3. Reduce to decrease ambiance on cymbals.

800Hz

1. Increase for clarity and "punch" of bass.
2. Reduce to remove "cheap" sound of guitars

1.5KHz

1. Increase for "clarity" and "pluck" of bass.
2. Reduce to remove dullness of guitars.

3KHz

1. Increase for more "pluck" of bass.
2. Increase for more attack of electric / acoustic guitar.
3. Increase for more attack on low piano parts.
4. Increase for more clarity / hardness on voice.
5. Reduce to increase breathy, soft sound on background vocals.
6. Reduce to disguise out-of-tune vocals / guitars

5KHz

1. Increase for vocal presence.
2. Increase low frequency drum attack (foot/toms).
3. Increase for more "finger sound" on bass.
4. Increase attack of piano, acoustic guitar and brightness on guitars.
5. Reduce to make background parts more distant.
6. Reduce to soften "thin" guitar.

7KHz

1. Increase to add attack on low frequency drums (more metallic sound).
2. Increase to add attack to percussion instruments.
3. Increase on dull singer.
4. Increase for more "finger sound" on acoustic bass.
5. Reduce to decrease "s" sound on singers.
6. Increase to add sharpness to synthesizers, rock guitars, acoustic guitar and piano.

10KHz

1. Increase to brighten vocals.
2. Increase for "light brightness" in acoustic guitar and piano.
3. Increase for hardness on cymbals.
4. Reduce to decrease "s" sound on singers.

15KHz

1. Increase to brighten vocals (breath sound).
2. Increase to brighten cymbals, string instruments and flutes.
3. Increase to make sampled synthesizer sound more real.

--------------------------------------

80hz - rumble of the bass
100hz - thump of the kick
200hz - bottom of the guitar
250hz - warmth of the vocal
350hz - bang of the snare
400hz - body of the bass
500hz - clang of the high hat
600hz - clang of the cymbals
800hz - ping of ride cymbal
1000hz - meat of the guitar
1200hz - body of the snare
1400hz - meat of the vocal
1600hz - snap of the kick/plectrum on guitar (attack)
2500hz - wires and snap of snare
3000hz - presence of the vocal
4000hz - ring of ride cymbal/top end of bass guitar
6000hz - sizzle of the high hat
7000hz - sizzle of the cymbals
8000hz - top end of the kick
9000hz - brightness on snare and cymbals
10000hz - brightness on vocal
12000hz - air on vocal
14000hz - air on cymbals

The sz dual driver config is more rubber band like than any can I have used. Plays anything if you love tweaking.

Throw some Alpha Pads on those and fire up the eq...just for kicks and see if you can't get that bite.

Jun 24, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #1,166 of 4,826
I am still not settling on these phones for my bass music. I would still like to try the ultrasone pro900 and the denon d600. I can believe these jvc can give you the most bass at extreme levels without the phones giving up. But i would like to have the most bass at normal listening levels. I have to turn these jvc's so loud to get the bass i want that my ears start ringing after a while

Jun 24, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #1,168 of 4,826
I find that a classic V-shaped EQ curve really helps with the clarity - meaning that the highs also need a boost, not just the bass.

So, these are technically highly capable headphones that could have benefited from better tuning before being sold, but as @Hawaiibadboy shows, you really can change their sound signature quite significantly with EQing.

As someone who listens more to rock than to hip hop, I enjoy discovering hidden low end on albums and tracks that I never knew had such a low end before! My latest "discovery" was Ten Years After - Live At The Fillmore.

Not sure if that low end comes across over the youtube clip... but when listening via my ipod > Vamp Verza, the cups were rattling so hard on my head that I thought the whole thing is going to disintegrate! 

Jun 26, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #1,169 of 4,826
My Sz2000s arrived a few days ago and I've been listening to them and am a bit disappointed. I actually dig their sound signature and make a good listen, but it no way did I find them very bassy. I'm honestly hoping I'm doing something wrong because I was pretty happy about getting the bass kings, lmao. So I've been using my iphone as a source and as for amps, I've used the e12, e07k, And PA2v2. None of them make these bassy, but the e07k does make them decent. I also have used a small built in eq in the music app on my iphone when I'm not using spotify or something of that nature.

I'll probably keep them for the smooth listening but I'm really bummed that I didn't get that brain damaging bass I was anticipating so much.
If there's anything I can do to make my experience improve, any help is much appreciated. I've been using tracks by the Floozies who make some sweet trance and electronic funk to test the bass, so if these tracks seemed appropriate for these cans bass capabilities, I'm hoping to find what will make good synergy for this type of music. Here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPoNPAZGWuc

Again any help will be much appreciated. I'm dying to get some killer bass from these so all suggestions are welcomed. Thanks guys! :)

Jun 26, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #1,170 of 4,826

I have the impression, that  the SZ2000 has a very good bass with these settings, but I also think Youtube compression caps the subbass somehow. Btw this is using my Asus Xonar U7 as amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back