JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Jun 14, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #1,126 of 4,826

I confirm that is not the case.

This track is sub-bass loaded.

​

I could not tell the diff. I'm a basshead. It sounded more balanced on other tracks but cb and gelocks can speak more to the overall qualities. cb in particular since he will possess both to compare like me. But I switch off pads and am not doing detailed comparison. As a basshead I'm quite pleased. 

I owned the Q40 for about the same price and these stomp those and everything else besides their brother. (sz2000).  SQ is damned nice. 

All in all, do you think the SZ2000 is worth the $70+ dollars over the SZ1000?

Jun 14, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #1,127 of 4,826
  All in all, do you think the SZ2000 is worth the $70+ dollars over the SZ1000?

I think both cans are under-priced for what they deliver. The sz2000 are proven bass monsters and I'm a bass-head. 
The sz1000 are well worth $130. <<<<<massive understatement 
If I had to take just one it would be the sz2000....bragging rights in bassopolis.

How much is $70 worth?

Dinner for 2 at TGIF in my mind. No big deal. For others....a big deal. 
The sz1000 have a more approachable sound if that makes any sense and it may not?
The sz2000 are powerhouses. Hardest thumping cans on the consumer market period. Can...I assume the 1000 as well....can be eq'd to anywhere you wanna go . Both priced way below inferior built Boutique/Audiophile stuff.

There will be a massive wave of sz1000 sales coming soon. I predict.

Jun 15, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #1,128 of 4,826
After testing today I can see at extreme volume the sz1000 slants closer to the 77x and the sz2000 stands a notch higher.
That brass cylinder does control the bass.
I think the sz1000 might be more average consumer friendly (not into eq and stuff) but the sz2000 does hold on to the bass impact with a slightly better grip. 

Jun 17, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #1,130 of 4,826
Do these require a portable amp to get great sound?

Great sound is very subjective.
The maximum potential of the dual driver config seems reachable only via amp.

ipod
pc

dap+amp...best in my opinion.

This is 1 vote for needing an amp
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #1,131 of 4,826
Do these require a portable amp to get great sound?

I received my SZ2000s yesterday. I can tell you right now that they are very very quiet off of my ASUS Xonar DG soundcard. On my Samsung Galaxy SII they are even quieter, to the point where using the SZ2k is impractical.

Yes I did the pad change, using HA-M55x pads.

I like my bass banging, and my tunes loud, and that ASUS card was not enough, not even close. The Xonar DG is a big step up from typical on-board sound chips, so take that into consideration.

My Fiio E12 arrives today, I will post my first impressions then. 

Jun 17, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #1,132 of 4,826
  I received my SZ2000s yesterday. I can tell you right now that they are very very quiet off of my ASUS Xonar DG soundcard. On my Samsung Galaxy SII they are even quieter, to the point where using the SZ2k is impractical.

Yes I did the pad change, using HA-M55x pads.

I like my bass banging, and my tunes loud, and that ASUS card was not enough, not even close. The Xonar DG is a big step up from typical on-board sound chips, so take that into consideration.

My Fiio E12 arrives today, I will post my first impressions then. 

Here's my impression (made vid just now after seeing your post)

Enjoy the e12
It was made for the sz
It shows it's face in this short vid

Jun 17, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #1,134 of 4,826
I used to use them without an amp, and though despise i had no troubles using it with my laptop and my DAP (iBasso DX50), you'd need an amp to get the most out of this headphones, or a good source to begin with. They do need a lot more power than normal headphones (my HD25's and M50's work on a lot less power), but it's not mandatory, they still sound great without one. 

Jun 18, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #1,135 of 4,826
I posted this in a different thread, it was recommended to me to post this here...

Hello fellow bassheads!

I was wondering if the JVC HA-SZ2000 would be suited for dubstep, and just bass music? i'm not really sure how to describe the genre, the songs basically have a bassline, and random noises, clips thrown in. Many people just call the songs a bunch of noise, but for some reason, they really get my jollies off.

Here are two examples  

https://soundcloud.com/ar-the-bushmaster/ar-qwweqeqw

and

https://soundcloud.com/detzkyuk/dtzky-billy-boss-free

These are my playlists, the first and last of which are the music i'm interested in the SZ2000 because of.

https://soundcloud.com/user184579369/sets

I don't think i care whether or not my skull rattles, i more care about the sound, and the bass being as heavy, wobbly, textured, juicy, insert other descriptors, as possible. Do you still recommend a pad swap on the SZ2000's? If so, what pads do i get, and what is the cheapest way to aquire new pads?

I hope this made sense, and someone can help me out.

Thank you so much!
Marcello

Jun 18, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #1,136 of 4,826
Fellow dubstepper here.
Definitely get these. Though you need a proper setup which is more than just the phones themselves, these should be your last pair of phones for this kind of music.

Jun 18, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #1,137 of 4,826
Regarding pads, I went with Beyer velor pads only because they were available on Amazon.
In my case, the drivers still rested on my ear causing physical discomfort on my left ear, so even after the pad change, I had to stuff some tissue in there to give me a little more room.
If there were thicker pads that gave some more distance, I would rather have those personally. 

Jun 18, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #1,138 of 4,826
i have the schiit magni and modi, does the sz2000 come with a 1/4 inch adapter?

Also, if anyone else could comment on where to find deeper cups, please do. i have large ears, also, so i'd have the same discomfort issue.

Jun 18, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #1,139 of 4,826
No, it does not come with an adapter.

Jun 18, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #1,140 of 4,826
  i have the schiit magni and modi, does the sz2000 come with a 1/4 inch adapter?

Also, if anyone else could comment on where to find deeper cups, please do. i have large ears, also, so i'd have the same discomfort issue.

Do you want deeper cups or deeper pads?  I'm thinking you mean pads - Mr Speakers Alpha Pads are one source of a very deep and comfy pad. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back