JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Apr 1, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #721 of 4,826
JVC HA-SZ2000

First, it gets stuck in customs. Then, when tracking says "Out for delivery," I wait 4 hours by the front door. Tracking says "Notice left on front door." I burst out the door and see nothing. I go straight to USPS. New hire delivered package to wrong door. I wait 1 hour. I get a box the shape of my heart.

The box inside the box, unpunched.

Another box. Gotta love them boxed boxes.

Ultraviolet silken cloth to enthrone an emperor's crown.

I want everything I own lined with this fabric on the inside.

JVC HA-MR77X red as raw.

SZ2000 earpad replacement surgery prescribed by bass surgeon general @Hawaiibadboy

Taking off the earpad was not simple for me to figure out. I only had experience with Sennheiser earpads that have a hard plastic interior, and I once snapped one in half. I didn't know that the JVC earpads were all cushion and leather, so I was extra careful when I didn't need to be. To take off a JVC earpad, scoop your fingers into the earhole and gently push outwards.

Putting back the earpad was simpler, but also needs figuring out. You see that gap on the outer plastic circle? Insert flap of the earpad on one side of the gap:

Once you have part of the flap inserted on one side, twist the earpad towards that side until it comes full circle and you're set.

JVC HA-SZ2000VS JVC HA-MR77X

Initially, I thought the SZ bass was only marginally louder than the 77's. My basis was the Windows volume level. With a maxed out Fiio E5 and these settings on Equalizer APO, the 77's reach 55% volume before distorting Flo Rida - Low:

HEAVY BOOOTS with the fur

The SZ? I thought they only reached 57%, but after retesting (may or may not have to do with new earpads), they reach 62%, and this 7% difference is audibly significant. The bass difference varies from 5% in songs with extremely low bass kicks such as rap and hip-hop, to 15% in rock tracks with industry standard kick drum beats.

OTHER NOTES:
  1. The SZ has a lower 16ohm impedance and 108dB/1mW sensitivity, while the 77 has a 46ohm impedance and 113dB/1mW sensitivity. This approximates a slightly higher volume for the SZ with the same voltage.
  2. I might be limited by my equipment. My integrated soundcard possibly starts clipping at higher voltages, so the SZ might have a higher potential that I haven't tapped.
  3. The 77's enclosure starts resonating before the drivers distort, but this can be remedied by holding the cans firmly into your head. The SZ's are rigid as claimed.
  4. The 77's crack at high volumes when the earpads are not sealed. This is weird, as if the drivers make use of the pressure inside the seal to sustain a certain vibration, and with average room pressure at high volumes the diaphragms are pushed beyond their stiffness. Covering the vents outside the 77's has the same effect. The SZ's don't do this.
  5. The stock SZ's are extremely comfortable, which is absolutely amazing considering their weight. The stock earpads are super soft leather with super soft foam, and the headband cushion is made of super soft and resilient polyester fibers, and these super soft physical contacts make you feel like you're wearing a stupid sexy ski suit.
  6. I haven't tested tracks with delicate, dynamic low frequencies to test bass quality. Now that I can demand my money's worth from my first ever pair of expensive headphones, I might find myself focusing on such intricacies that, previously, mattered very little to me. I still value a great song and worship the divine beat, so I won't be listening to the Blue Man Group only because I want to listen to the novel sounds of car parts, bottles, and cutlery falling off a cliff, like my audiophile cousin.

For the price?

If I can have the maximum bass extreme of the JVC HA-MR77X, and still be able to play frequencies up to 35,000Hz with carbon nanotube accuracy, for $260 I can have my sh!tcake and eat it too. Try the 77 first for $59.95, and if you don't like that bass (ignoring its un-EQ'd sound signature), I DON'T LIKE YOU

Apr 1, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #722 of 4,826
Awesome. Nothing compares with the 77's price to performance bass value that I have seen.
That aside.
The hard housing of the sz holds that bass kit firm and delays resonance which occurs in the 77 housing before the drivers in my experience anyway. 
The sz will go anywhere. I was playing Earth Wind and Fire yesterday.....because I can.

These cans really are a ******* joy. I love them and I will never get rid of them. I may buy another someday but I'll never let go of this. Too rare and unique. I ******* love these. 
The earpads from the XX series match these perfect. I think they do enhance the bass delivery.

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #723 of 4,826
I might need to do more tests, but i noticed that despite the fact that these do not distort easy, i was listening to Pantera yesterday, and while the bass was perfect, there was some mid/high frequency distortion, and it wasn't the track, because i tested it later with my hybrid HD25/Amperior (Basically a blue Aluminum with a BTG Audio cable lol), and it played it perfectly... I might do some tests later on the day, while i use my DX50 as source. 

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #724 of 4,826
  I might need to do more tests, but i noticed that despite the fact that these do not distort easy, i was listening to Pantera yesterday, and while the bass was perfect, there was some mid/high frequency distortion, and it wasn't the track, because i tested it later with my hybrid HD25/Amperior (Basically a blue Aluminum with a BTG Audio cable lol), and it played it perfectly... I might do some tests later on the day, while i use my DX50 as source. 

Let us know.
I've not listened to Heavy Metal with em. Hip Hop /Reggae  and some motown.  Pantera...lol
biggrin.gif
 I never imagined these for Metal but I might wanna throw on some Black Sabbath "Sweat Leaf" soon.

If you can isolate the issue let's see if others can reproduce it and see if it's a driver issue or your cans. 

Apr 1, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #725 of 4,826
  JVC HA-SZ2000

First, it gets stuck in customs. Then, when tracking says "Out for delivery," I wait 4 hours by the front door. Tracking says "Notice left on front door." I burst out the door and see nothing. I go straight to USPS. New hire delivered package to wrong door. I wait 1 hour. I get a box the shape of my heart.

The box inside the box, unpunched.

Another box. Gotta love them boxed boxes.

Ultraviolet silken cloth to enthrone an emperor's crown.

I want everything I own lined with this fabric on the inside.

JVC HA-MR77X red as raw.

SZ2000 earpad replacement surgery prescribed by bass surgeon general @Hawaiibadboy

Taking off the earpad was not simple for me to figure out. I only had experience with Sennheiser earpads that have a hard plastic interior, and I once snapped one in half. I didn't know that the JVC earpads were all cushion and leather, so I was extra careful when I didn't need to be. To take off a JVC earpad, scoop your fingers into the earhole and gently push outwards.

Putting back the earpad was simpler, but also needs figuring out. You see that gap on the outer plastic circle? Insert flap of the earpad on one side of the gap:

Once you have part of the flap inserted on one side, twist the earpad towards that side until it comes full circle and you're set.

JVC HA-SZ2000VS JVC HA-MR77X

Initially, I thought the SZ bass was only marginally louder than the 77's. My basis was the Windows volume level. With a maxed out Fiio E5 and these settings on Equalizer APO, the 77's reach 55% volume before distorting Flo Rida - Low:

HEAVY BOOOTS with the fur

The SZ? I thought they only reached 57%, but after retesting (may or may not have to do with new earpads), they reach 62%, and this 7% difference is audibly significant. The bass difference varies from 5% in songs with extremely low bass kicks such as rap and hip-hop, to 15% in rock tracks with industry standard kick drum beats.

OTHER NOTES:
  1. The SZ has a lower 16ohm impedance and 108dB/1mW sensitivity, while the 77 has a 46ohm impedance and 113dB/1mW sensitivity. This approximates a slightly higher volume for the SZ with the same voltage.
  2. I might be limited by my equipment. My integrated soundcard possibly starts clipping at higher voltages, so the SZ might have a higher potential that I haven't tapped.
  3. The 77's enclosure starts resonating before the drivers distort, but this can be remedied by holding the cans firmly into your head. The SZ's are rigid as claimed.
  4. The 77's crack at high volumes when the earpads are not sealed. This is weird, as if the drivers make use of the pressure inside the seal to sustain a certain vibration, and with average room pressure at high volumes the diaphragms are pushed beyond their stiffness. Covering the vents outside the 77's has the same effect. The SZ's don't do this.
  5. The stock SZ's are extremely comfortable, which is absolutely amazing considering their weight. The stock earpads are super soft leather with super soft foam, and the headband cushion is made of super soft and resilient polyester fibers, and these super soft physical contacts make you feel like you're wearing a stupid sexy ski suit.
  6. I haven't tested tracks with delicate, dynamic low frequencies to test bass quality. Now that I can demand my money's worth from my first ever pair of expensive headphones, I might find myself focusing on such intricacies that, previously, mattered very little to me. I still value a great song and worship the divine beat, so I won't be listening to the Blue Man Group only because I want to listen to the novel sounds of car parts, bottles, and cutlery falling off a cliff, like my audiophile cousin.

For the price?

If I can have the maximum bass extreme of the JVC HA-MR77X, and still be able to play frequencies up to 35,000Hz with carbon nanotube accuracy, for $260 I can have my sh!tcake and eat it too. Try the 77 first for $59.95, and if you don't like that bass (ignoring its un-EQ'd sound signature), I DON'T LIKE YOU

I never even noticed that groove on the cup....woulda been easier for me.

I was listening to mine just now and something seemed odd...the vibrating of my earwax was less...still pounding but not loosening earwax??

My fiio bass switch was off by accident (it should be recessed) That elevated hump at 20hz+ is HUGE for these with Hip Hop. I knew it was a big deal but today I could see it without knowing...then knowing.  These ******* rumble! This on very high volume is rumbleishish!!

Apr 1, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #726 of 4,826

I never even noticed that groove on the cup....woulda been easier for me.

I was listening to mine just now and something seemed odd...the vibrating of my earwax was less...still pounding but not loosening earwax??

My fiio bass switch was off by accident (it should be recessed) That elevated hump at 20hz+ is HUGE for these with Hip Hop. I knew it was a big deal but today I could see it without knowing...then knowing.  These ******* rumble! This on very high volume is rumbleishish!!

emot-LMAO.gif
  I read the first two lines on my phone and thought, no, the great Hawaiibadboy having self-doubt? Then I read the rest LOLOL

Really, I appreciate the journey you made to find these absolute bass cannons. I wouldn't be able to afford the same headphone learning experience otherwise. Keep on waxin'!

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #728 of 4,826
Mine showed up yesterday. So far I've experienced mixed results. One thing I can say for certain is that these things are sub-bass gods. I'm often finding that they're lacking punch though. Some tracks I get some oomph, but others not so much.

I definitely need to get some new pads ASAP though. Does anyone know where I could buy a pair of 77 pads? I'm not too fond of the idea of buying a pair of headphones just for the pads. I know there were a few people messing around with the DT770 velour pads, how did that work out?

Also, DAC/amp wise, would the FiiO e17 pair well with these? Would anyone recommend anything else around the same price range?

Thanks.

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #729 of 4,826
  Mine showed up yesterday. So far I've experienced mixed results. One thing I can say for certain is that these things are sub-bass gods. I'm often finding that they're lacking punch though. Some tracks I get some oomph, but others not so much.

I definitely need to get some new pads ASAP though. Does anyone know where I could buy a pair of 77 pads? I'm not too fond of the idea of buying a pair of headphones just for the pads. I know there were a few people messing around with the DT770 velour pads, how did that work out?

Also, DAC/amp wise, would the FiiO e17 pair well with these? Would anyone recommend anything else around the same price range?

Thanks.

The oomph will be fixed by a pad change and I'm assuming your amping the low stage and raising it. The oomph is bigger and deeper than the 77's which is proven via the fact I haven't listened to those in 3 weeks. Trust me.  Firmer pads for that tickle/slam would be better than velor IMO. These go louder without question.  Ask @Oregonian if he'll send you his 55's pads. THOSE would be perfect. He don't listen to them anyway
wink.gif

P.S.

Are you using an amp?
Which one? how are you lifting 20-120Hz??
Pads and an amp (like I tell everyone before they buy these....and your in bassland. Skull and neck shaking.

Edit: The e12 works very well with these...very very well.

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #730 of 4,826
  The oomph will be fixed by a pad change and I'm assuming your amping the low stage and raising it. The oomph is bigger and deeper than the 77's which is proven via the fact I haven't listened to those in 3 weeks. Trust me.  Firmer pads for that tickle/slam would be better than velor IMO. These go louder without question.  Ask @Oregonian if he'll send you his 55's pads. THOSE would be perfect. He don't listen to them anyway
wink.gif

P.S.

Are you using an amp?
Which one? how are you lifting 20-120Hz??
Pads and an amp (like I tell everyone before they buy these....and your in bassland. Skull and neck shaking.

I was comparing them to my XB700s not the 77s. I don't own a pair of those :s The XB700s had much brighter highs and mids, less sub-bass, but more punch. It's really just the bass impact that I'm missing.

The only reason I asked about the velour pads is because I can easily buy a set of those without having to buy a pair of DT770s to harvest them off of.

No amp, that's why I was asking about the e17 and for recs. For $10 more I can get the e17 which seems pretty highly recommended?

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #731 of 4,826

I was comparing them to my XB700s not the 77s. I don't own a pair of those :s The XB700s had much brighter highs and mids, less sub-bass, but more punch. It's really just the bass impact that I'm missing.

The only reason I asked about the velour pads is because I can easily buy a set of those without having to buy a pair of DT770s to harvest them off of.

No amp, that's why I was asking about the e17 and for recs. For $10 more I can get the e17 which seems pretty highly recommended?

The xb 700 are not near these in impact. You need an amp though. Like I said before when you thought I was confusing you. No...an amp is gonna deliver you the slam. As much as you like. Relax. You now own the hardest hitting cans on this site. You need to feed them juice and change the cups. Same stuff I always say....and you will be very very happy. Impact is NOT one of these cans short comings. You'll be fine. x2
biggrin.gif

PM Oregonian and ask if he'll part with his 55 pads...seriously. He don't use em' anyway.

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #732 of 4,826
  The xb 700 are not near these in impact. You need an amp though. Like I said before when you thought I was confusing you. No...an amp is gonna deliver you the slam. As much as you like. Relax. You now own the hardest hitting cans on this site. You need to feed them juice and change the cups. Same stuff I always say....and you will be very very happy. Impact is NOT one of these cans short comings. You'll be fine. x2
biggrin.gif

PM Oregonian and ask if he'll part with his 55 pads...seriously. He don't use em' anyway.

At least straight out of my motherboard, the XB700s have quite a bit more impact :p I was hoping I could get away with not getting an amp because my setup isn't very amp friendly (two machines running through a KVM). Looks like I'll bite the bullet though and grab the e17.

I sent him a PM, thanks.

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #733 of 4,826

Thanks.

You don't have to change pads. In fact I switched them back to the original mainly because I feel so uncomfortable seeing the 77's naked and unavailable for immediate use (the SZ pads are a bit smaller and I don't want them stretched). I love the softness of the SZ: soft as a thunder cloud.

With the stock pads, and my hair covering my ears, I smile with chattering teeth. And with the 77's back to operating condition, I compare them again and immediately I am convinced of the 77's continued disuse: The SZ's decimate the 77's by +15dB of bass. I see that you're a fan of the Sony MDR XB700. I never tried them, and I never even thought of trying the XB500 long after they were discontinued as I was into in-ears. The XB500 legend lives loud and reminds me of great regret. I could only wish to try them someday. For now, I can only depend on tangential evidence. The XB500 is an almost unanimous preference over the XB700 to those who own both. RPGWiZaRD compared the XB500 and the JVC HA-M5X (the older version of the HA-M55X, which is much inferior to the HA-M77X according to Hawaii), and the wizard concluded that both are near equivalent bass-wise.

I am willing to bet my ignorance that you're not playing the right tracks, nor do you go out of your way to stretch the SZ's capabilities at your hearing's expense. Could you tell us your setup and the exact tracks you used?

Hawaiibadboy here is legendary for bass stress testing, and this track is my fav among his recs (no need for bass boost here, nor is it recommended):

The amazing Windows 50Hz bass boost doesn't work well with above track, but works great for my limited knowledge of rap (now raise the 50Hz to +18dB):

As for DACs, you might want to read this recent (a month ago) Tom's Hardware article comparing the $2 Realtek onboard ALC889 codec (the one in my $50 motherboard) to expensive DAC/amp systems up to $2,000. Included in that review is the historical O2+ODAC Combo.

I was waiting to get a Fiio E07K under $70, since it is equivalent to the E17 minus the coax (watch the video comparing the two). But instead I got this:

OtrwBO4.png

I did buy a new motherboard for $130 after returning a new laptop purchase for refund. Most of my listening are done stationarily with my main desktop that is begging for an upgrade. Some major problems with most onboard soundcards are: No analog volume control and high output impedance.

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #734 of 4,826

Maybe you're into the sound of upper bass? The XB700 looks boosted at 100Hz. The SZ can easily accomplish that with Equalizer APO. the Windows bass boost:

deT3KED.gif

You can choose Frequency: 100Hz and Boost Level: 18dB and you're set. 100Hz is much easier for the SZ to drive. No need for an amp just yet.

It only "lacks" impact if you hear the diaphragms give up. That's at intense loud levels above the average basshead's pain threshold. I just want you to get the most out of the SZ!

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #735 of 4,826
  You don't have to change pads. In fact I switched them back to the original mainly because I feel so uncomfortable seeing the 77's naked and unavailable for immediate use (the SZ pads are a bit smaller and I don't want them stretched). I love the softness of the SZ: soft as a thunder cloud.

I definitely need to :s They're super soft, just too shallow. The grills are sitting right on my ears and it's not very comfortable.

With the stock pads, and my hair covering my ears, I smile with chattering teeth. And with the 77's back to operating condition, I compare them again and immediately I am convinced of the 77's continued disuse: The SZ's decimate the 77's by +15dB of bass. I see that you're a fan of the Sony MDR XB700. I never tried them, and I never even thought of trying the XB500 long after they were discontinued as I was into in-ears. The XB500 legend lives loud and reminds me of great regret. I could only wish to try them someday. For now, I can only depend on tangential evidence. The XB500 is an almost unanimous preference over the XB700 to those who own both. RPGWiZaRD compared the XB500 and the JVC HA-M5X (the older version of the HA-M55X, which is much inferior to the HA-M77X according to Hawaii), and the wizard concluded that both are near equivalent bass-wise.

I went with the 700s because they had a bit less bass impact, but more sub-bass which is what I wanted. I think the 500s just got so much love because the price for what you got was insane. I really love my 700s though.

Quote:
  Hawaiibadboy here is legendary for bass stress testing, and this track is my fav among his recs (no need for bass boost here, nor is it recommended):

I get the sub-bass there, just no punch. I really like this track for sub-bass:

Here are some tracks that really punch on my XB700s, but are flat on my SZ2000s:

Quote:
  The amazing Windows 50Hz bass boost doesn't work well with above track, but works great for my limited knowledge of rap (now raise the 50Hz to +18dB):

Unfortunately I don't have that option when I go into my settings.

Quote:
  As for DACs, you might want to read this recent (a month ago) Tom's Hardware article comparing the $2 Realtek onboard ALC889 codec (the one in my $50 motherboard) to expensive DAC/amp systems up to $2,000. Included in that review is the historical O2+ODAC Combo.

I was waiting to get a Fiio E07K under $70, since it is equivalent to the E17 minus the coax (watch the video comparing the two). But instead I got this:

Thanks for the links, I'll check 'em out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back