JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Jul 21, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #4,788 of 4,826
Hello, what would happen If I feed the JVCSZ2000's with 12 Watts into 16 Ohms? have anyone tried It? I've been very interested on the SMSL SP400 AMP. I wanted to ask if you guys think It's worth buying It. I also saw a video review comparing the SP400 AMP with the HO200 and the guy said they were practically the same AMP but $200 cheaper than the SP400 with little less output power (16 ohm output power up to 6W, 32 ohms up to 3W), so I wanted to see your opinions In which AMP should I buy to really take the JVC's to their max. Looking forward to your replies.

Jul 21, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #4,789 of 4,826
Hello, what would happen If I feed the JVCSZ2000's with 12 Watts into 16 Ohms? have anyone tried It? I've been very interested on the SMSL SP400 AMP. I wanted to ask if you guys think It's worth buying It. I also saw a video review comparing the SP400 AMP with the HO200 and the guy said they were practically the same AMP but $200 cheaper than the SP400 with little less output power (16 ohm output power up to 6W, 32 ohms up to 3W), so I wanted to see your opinions In which AMP should I buy to really take the JVC's to their max. Looking forward to your replies.
Honestly the SZ22000 is pretty easy to drive. It was made well into the iPod/iPhone low-power-audio era. You just need some headroom for EQ, which just about any amp delivers. I put a +20db shelf on the subbass on mine my little Liquid Spark barely needs to go past 11 o'clock

Jul 23, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #4,790 of 4,826
Greetings, since the topic has come to life, I’ll take a moment and ask if there are owners of a bunch of sz2000 and ifi micro black label here? If yes, then I would like to ask in what power mode do you listen and for how many hours do you set the volume knob? Also, at what preamp do you use and what amplification of the lower bass register?
The opinion of another person is very interesting, since I don’t like this bundle (or something is wrong with me). I can only listen in Eco mode, otherwise I need a strong negative preamp. Also in the Normal and Turbo mode, background noise is already audible, in the turbo the noise is straight hellish. At the moment, my Ifi is upgraded, but before everything was the same.
According to my reasoning, these headphones need a good current and not so much voltage. Ifi has an excess of voltage under these headphones, but these are just my guesses.

Oct 1, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #4,791 of 4,826
Nice! Please note however, these can's were discontinued like 8-years ago now, and the hinge will snap on you, as it has done for all of us. So, for your sake, I would strongly suggest you also buy a backup, so your not left up schitts creek when the hinge goes on them. Most recently, I bought a pair of Ultrasone Signature X's, they are bass king monster can's. And, they take EQ well, as I am able to deliver +6DB into the sub base channels.

And its IMO, that they have the largest amount of heavily controlled bass, I have ever heard in a can. You might want to consider getting yourself a pair of Ultrasone Signature X's, to have on hand as a backup. And you never know, you may even like them better, due to their much better controlled as well as punchy and deep bass. Take good care of your JVC SZ2000's, and maybe you can get another year out of them.
How you compare the x bass to the sz2000 if you remember

Oct 1, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #4,792 of 4,826
100% true, this whole hobby is subjective. No two people hear the exact same. I just wanted a differing opinion out there on the Sig X so that if someone were to buy a set and feel similar to the way I did they can't say "Why didn't anyone say anything?" Lol.

@OldDude04 , I also have a set of Signature X that I find to be some of the very best bass head headphones I've ever heard.

The entire bass range is slammy and punchy. Largely elevated. I get a lot of mid/upper-bass attack but a lot of sub bass rumble also. Overall - the best bass experience IMO if you want a real bass focused headphone. I also have a set of 780 which has great bass experience but I consider it bass emphasized - more of a V shape headphone and the bass is upper/mid focused whereas the X is positively bass head experience that also brings sub bass into the mix.

780 is a cleaner sound because it has that cleaner sub bass where the X invites powerful sub bass as well.

I wonder - did you use them with the thick pads? I do not find them impressive at all with the memory foam pads they come with stock. But when you put those thick pads and bump up the volume a bit, IMO they are absolutely slamming like @StarTreker says - at a theatre but even better. I can't believe they have this level of bass at the $200 mark. I can't think of a better bass-head recommendation personally, it's just a LOT of bass but the signature works and surprisingly even with all this bass the sound signature stays somewhat controlled. The build quality on them is questionable but they really do pound you with their bass. I can't imagine someone trying these on a bassy EDM track and not having the impression like "damn..."

***So - I just wanted to ask if you only used them with the stock pads, maybe you had V1 with memory foam pads and I would entirely understand your disappointment with them if that was the case. I'm really glad they decided to include these other pads on V2 as it really makes a massive difference.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #4,793 of 4,826
@OldDude04 , I also have a set of Signature X that I find to be some of the very best bass head headphones I've ever heard.

The entire bass range is slammy and punchy. Massively elevated. I get a lot of mid/upper-bass attack but a lot of sub bass rumble also. Overall - the best bass experience IMO if you want a real bass focused headphone. I have a set of 780 which also has absolutely great bass but I consider it bass emphasized - more of a V shape headphone whereas the X is positively bass head experience.

I wonder - did you use them with the thick pads? I do not find them impressive at all with the memory foam pads they come with stock. But when you put those thick pads and bump up the volume, IMO they are absolutely slamming like @StarTreker says - at a theatre but even better. I can't believe they have this level of bass at the $200 mark.

So I just wanted to ask if you only used them with the stock pads, maybe you had V1 with memory foam pads and I would entirely understand your disappointment with them if that was the case.

I had the new model with both pads, and tried them with other aftermarket pads as well. I found them to be a flabby mess unless I just used them without EQ. Even then I'd just call them slightly bassy. Could mine have been a bad pair? It is a possibility, but I was unimpressed with the Signature X enough that I opted to return them vs trying another set.

Oct 1, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #4,794 of 4,826
That's fair - at least you did try them with the thick pads - I would only recommend running them that way personally.

You might have had a bad pair indeed. The first pair - I kid you not - had something wrong with left driver. I had to return them. It was sounding very off though so in my mind it was like an obvious channel imbalance. It is disappointing that these have the poor build and some are defective as well. I was surprised that could happen but I gave them another go with another pair and it blows me away, I'm glad I didn't write them off from that first bad experience.

IMG_1569.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #4,795 of 4,826
You might have had a bad pair actually. The first pair - I kid you not - had something wrong with left driver. I had to return them. It was sounding very off though so in my mind it was like an obvious channel imbalance. I was surprised that could happen but I gave them another go with another pair and it blows me away, I'm glad I didn't write them off from that first bad experience.

IMG_1569.jpg
I'm going to get one, it's the bass head ultimate headphones from what I heard, because not only ultrasone knows for great bass, but also stereo details that can't be heard on so many headphones like vmoda 100
I wonder if hd600 or Hifiman shows details in somgs that the x doesn't

Oct 1, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #4,796 of 4,826
@Hameem - While I overall recommend the X here, you also might want to consider a 780 at some point, they are very punchy upper bass and mid bass but much less sub bass. Overall, when you listen to both the X sounds a lot more bass because it has a lot more rumble and purr from sub bass but the 780 hits rather hard in upper bass. And because it is way less sub bass with earlier roll off, it sounds cleaner. 780 also has more treble sparkle and the X is more smooth when compared.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #4,797 of 4,826
How you compare the x bass to the sz2000 if you remember

Oh dude, the Ultrasone Signature X's are so far above the SZ 2000's, its not even a comparison when it comes to sound quality! First of all, there is little bass slam in the SZ 2000's, they do not have high resolution bass at all. The SZ 2000's have a very muddied bass, lacks detail. And there is 0 high frequency production in the SZ2000's, if you don't raise the high frequencies, your at a serious loss. And you got to drop the mids as well on them, or the can's will distort in the mids if the volume is pushed too far, as they also get far too boomy. The build quality is garbage, because every single pair snaps at the hinges. JVC Japan knew about this, which is why they discontinued the entire SZ series, and just quietly swept it under the rug, hoping the majority would never notice. While they also quietly introduced new can's, entering the wireless arena, as they refreshed anew, without anybody being any wiser.

The Ultrasone Signature X's however, were tuned with the Harmen Target Curve, and they have higher quality drivers, at least IMO. The X's produce a much higher quality, as well as higher resolution sound, and are surprisingly decent, for a closed back design. As I and other's have mentioned, the Sig X's produce serious levels of slam, and serious levels of theater style sub woofer bass, and are quite detailed, with a surprising amount of sound stage. Also, believe it or not, the X's also produce a little bit of high frequency production, despite being a closed back can. So, if you are somebody like me who does use EQ, you really don't have to push the higher frequencies up by +8 - +10 DB like you had to on the SZ2000's, with Sig X, +4 - +6 DB is more then enough!

On the Sig X's, I keep the midrange flat, which produces a natural V-curve, because I am also boosting the 33 Hertz and 63 hertz sub bass range to +6 DB. At the 80 - 100 hertz range, I am down to +4 DB on those, mid range flat like I said. Because the Sig X's take EQ well, it allows one to modify an already impressive performance can, into an amazing performance can. Don't forget, I use a Realistic Vintage 12-Band hardware EQ, since it has a PRE-AMP inside it, it leaves me much more headroom, then you'd have with software EQ, and I just keep the Gain dropped all the way down into the negative. I also can't emphasize this enough, please make sure that your headphone AMP is up to snuff.

Make sure first that you have a solid input source signal for either your RCA single ended channel, or your XLR channels. If your running through a DAC, make sure that its volume it up to 100%. Using my S.M.S.L SP200 AMP, I run the GAIN in HIGH mode, and if I set the AMP volume to 50%, you better hold onto your butts, cause the Sig X's are no joke, and they are not taking prisoners. If your cherry hasn't popped yet, it will pop soon if your running my setup. So yep, Sig X's, serious hardcore sub bass, serious detailed high resolution tight slam bass. Quality mid bass, all well controlled through the entire frequency range. It is IMHO, that the Ultrasone Signature X's, are a basshead's wet dream. Welcome to the 21st Century.

Use an AMP that produces up to 3-watts per channel into 32-OHMS. And be prepared, these can's will rock your world.

The entire bass range is slammy and punchy. Massively elevated. I get a lot of mid/upper-bass attack but a lot of sub bass rumble also. Overall - the best bass experience IMO if you want a real bass focused headphone. I aslo have a set of 780 which also has absolutely great bass experience but I consider it bass emphasized - more of a V shape headphone and the bass is more upper/mid focused whereas the X is positively bass head experience that also brings sub bass into the mix. 780 is a cleaner sound because it has that cleaner sub bass where the X totally invites powerful sub bass.

I wonder - did you use them with the thick pads? I do not find them impressive at all with the memory foam pads they come with stock. But when you put those thick pads and bump up the volume a bit, IMO they are absolutely slamming like @StarTreker says - at a theatre but even better. I can't believe they have this level of bass at the $200 mark. I can't think of a better bass-head recommendation personally, it's just a LOT of bass but the signature works and surprisingly even with all this bass the sound signature stays somewhat controlled. The build quality on them is questionable but they really do pound you with their bass. I can't imagine someone trying these on a bassy EDM track and not having the impression like "damn..."

So - I just wanted to ask if you only used them with the stock pads, maybe you had V1 with memory foam pads and I would entirely understand your disappointment with them if that was the case.

I agree with everything that you said TWerk! Its nice to see other's experience these can's for themselves, and confirm what I know is true. We know whats up, serious bass, that takes you for the ride of your life.

I had the new model with both pads, and tried them with other aftermarket pads as well. I found them to be a flabby mess unless I just used them without EQ. Even then I'd just call them slightly bassy. Could mine have been a bad pair? It is a possibility, but I was unimpressed with the Signature X enough that I opted to return them vs trying another set.

Yes, I concur with other's, just the sheer fact that I wear and use these can's every single day, and all day long long, I am going to have to say, you must have a defective pair. Because these things have so much bass, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually shred paper in the paper test. I think you need to have your's replaced under warranty. Because they way you describe them, is not the Sig X's that I know and use everyday. So yeah, you might want to look into that.

That's fair - at least you did try them with the thick pads - I would only recommend running them that way personally.

You might have had a bad pair indeed. The first pair - I kid you not - had something wrong with left driver. I had to return them. It was sounding very off though so in my mind it was like an obvious channel imbalance. It is disappointing that these have the poor build and some are defective as well. I was surprised that could happen but I gave them another go with another pair and it blows me away, I'm glad I didn't write them off from that first bad experience.

IMG_1569.jpg

I got lucky, and didn't get a defective pair of Sig X's when I made my very first purchase from DROP ever. So yeah, I think I lucked out indeed. And yes, while the overall build quality seems low for a 200 dollar can, I will say, when talking about the thick pads, as well as the headband pad, these are far better then both V-Moda and JVC SZ series cans. With V-Moda it was so terrible, I was getting pain on my head from the headband, I had to get a headband cushion for them! The cup pads were also terrible on both can's, that I had to replace those too. V-Moda also sucks for looking for quality replacements, there are none anymore, literally nobody supports V-Moda except for the company themselves, thats because nobody has any faith or respect for V-Moda, and I am honestly not surprised.

Where as the Sig X's, much higher quality pads with the thicker cup pads, and much better headband padding as well, including a nice breathable mesh for summer time! And, because unlike V-Moda which wanted to not be normal, and go for diamond shaped pads in the name of what did the CEO call it, ubiquity? Sig X's use a much more normal headphone pads and mounts, where many brands of pads can be used on the Sig X's. Oh, I will tell you something else, because I have already put so many hours on my cans, the majority of the creeking sound has gone away. I can actually move my head, and eat food, without hearing that creeking sound. So likely what has happened, is the cans have worn in a bit, so that the plastic portion is not rubbing so aggressively.

I'm going to get one, it's the bass head ultimate headphones from what I heard, because not only ultrasone knows for great bass, but also stereo details that can't be heard on so many headphones like vmoda 100
I wonder if hd600 or Hifiman shows details in somgs that the x doesn't

Hey hey, thats what I am talking about, oh hell's yes, put on your party dress, things are about to get real, POP goes the cherry. HAHA Yessir! And yes I agree, the Ultrasone Signature X's, do produce much higher quality sound, then most all other closed back cans, that you do hear things in both music, movies, and games, that you have not heard before, with lower quality sounded closed back can's.

Oct 1, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #4,798 of 4,826
It's true. IMO they are unlike anything else on the market and they deliver something I been looking for a long time.

And yes - I am particular about highs and these have enough of that for me to absolutely consider them a winner.

It's not like a muddy sound which many bass-head headphones have. Mids are surprisingly rich and enjoyable too.

They also deliver a "big" sound for a closed back.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #4,799 of 4,826
Oh dude, the Ultrasone Signature X's are so far above the SZ 2000's, its not even a comparison when it comes to sound quality! First of all, there is little bass slam in the SZ 2000's, they do not have high resolution bass at all. The SZ 2000's have a very muddied bass, lacks detail. And there is 0 high frequency production in the SZ2000's, if you don't raise the high frequencies, your at a serious loss. And you got to drop the mids as well on them, or the can's will distort in the mids if the volume is pushed too far, as they also get far too boomy. The build quality is garbage, because every single pair snaps at the hinges. JVC Japan knew about this, which is why they discontinued the entire SZ series, and just quietly swept it under the rug, hoping the majority would never notice. While they also quietly introduced new can's, entering the wireless arena, as they refreshed anew, without anybody being any wiser.

The Ultrasone Signature X's however, were tuned with the Harmen Target Curve, and they have higher quality drivers, at least IMO. The X's produce a much higher quality, as well as higher resolution sound, and are surprisingly decent, for a closed back design. As I and other's have mentioned, the Sig X's produce serious levels of slam, and serious levels of theater style sub woofer bass, and are quite detailed, with a surprising amount of sound stage. Also, believe it or not, the X's also produce a little bit of high frequency production, despite being a closed back can. So, if you are somebody like me who does use EQ, you really don't have to push the higher frequencies up by +8 - +10 DB like you had to on the SZ2000's, with Sig X, +4 - +6 DB is more then enough!

On the Sig X's, I keep the midrange flat, which produces a natural V-curve, because I am also boosting the 33 Hertz and 63 hertz sub bass range to +6 DB. At the 80 - 100 hertz range, I am down to +4 DB on those, mid range flat like I said. Because the Sig X's take EQ well, it allows one to modify an already impressive performance can, into an amazing performance can. Don't forget, I use a Realistic Vintage 12-Band hardware EQ, since it has a PRE-AMP inside it, it leaves me much more headroom, then you'd have with software EQ, and I just keep the Gain dropped all the way down into the negative. I also can't emphasize this enough, please make sure that your headphone AMP is up to snuff.

Make sure first that you have a solid input source signal for either your RCA single ended channel, or your XLR channels. If your running through a DAC, make sure that its volume it up to 100%. Using my S.M.S.L SP200 AMP, I run the GAIN in HIGH mode, and if I set the AMP volume to 50%, you better hold onto your butts, cause the Sig X's are no joke, and they are not taking prisoners. If your cherry hasn't popped yet, it will pop soon if your running my setup. So yep, Sig X's, serious hardcore sub bass, serious detailed high resolution tight slam bass. Quality mid bass, all well controlled through the entire frequency range. It is IMHO, that the Ultrasone Signature X's, are a basshead's wet dream. Welcome to the 21st Century.

Use an AMP that produces up to 3-watts per channel into 32-OHMS. And be prepared, these can's will rock your world.

I agree with everything that you said TWerk! Its nice to see other's experience these can's for themselves, and confirm what I know is true. We know whats up, serious bass, that takes you for the ride of your life.

Yes, I concur with other's, just the sheer fact that I wear and use these can's every single day, and all day long long, I am going to have to say, you must have a defective pair. Because these things have so much bass, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually shred paper in the paper test. I think you need to have your's replaced under warranty. Because they way you describe them, is not the Sig X's that I know and use everyday. So yeah, you might want to look into that.

I got lucky, and didn't get a defective pair of Sig X's when I made my very first purchase from DROP ever. So yeah, I think I lucked out indeed. And yes, while the overall build quality seems low for a 200 dollar can, I will say, when talking about the thick pads, as well as the headband pad, these are far better then both V-Moda and JVC SZ series cans. With V-Moda it was so terrible, I was getting pain on my head from the headband, I had to get a headband cushion for them! The cup pads were also terrible on both can's, that I had to replace those too. V-Moda also sucks for looking for quality replacements, there are none anymore, literally nobody supports V-Moda except for the company themselves, thats because nobody has any faith or respect for V-Moda, and I am honestly not surprised.

Where as the Sig X's, much higher quality pads with the thicker cup pads, and much better headband padding as well, including a nice breathable mesh for summer time! And, because unlike V-Moda which wanted to not be normal, and go for diamond shaped pads in the name of what did the CEO call it, ubiquity? Sig X's use a much more normal headphone pads and mounts, where many brands of pads can be used on the Sig X's. Oh, I will tell you something else, because I have already put so many hours on my cans, the majority of the creeking sound has gone away. I can actually move my head, and eat food, without hearing that creeking sound. So likely what has happened, is the cans have worn in a bit, so that the plastic portion is not rubbing so aggressively.

Hey hey, thats what I am talking about, oh hell's yes, put on your party dress, things are about to get real, POP goes the cherry. HAHA Yessir! And yes I agree, the Ultrasone Signature X's, do produce much higher quality sound, then most all other closed back cans, that you do hear things in both music, movies, and games, that you have not heard before, with lower quality sounded closed back can's.
Thanks man, what do you mean by amp is up to snuff? And why 3w let channel, why something like fiio k5 is not enough?
You have another x pair your want to trade for 4 of my headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back