JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Feb 27, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #4,771 of 4,826
What are the DCA pads? link to them please?

@dstarr3 I'm using the MONOLITH M1570 leather pads on my SZ2000 by the way, I think they work very well on the SZ2000, the bass Is very powerful, and makes the SZ2000's feel like another pair of headphones, how these pads compare wth the DCA ones?

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #4,772 of 4,826
Sep 13, 2022 at 6:20 AM Post #4,773 of 4,826
Hello OldDude04, greetings. Total noob when it comes to equalizers. I have a dbx 231s on the way. This is a dual channel.

I also have a couple of modest stereo receivers:
1. Cambridge Audio Topaz Stereo Receiver 10 (old-school amp, but does MP3 in, not that I use it). I do use an iFi Neo iDSD Headphone Amp/DAC. Which does an ok job of connecting Laptop and Mobile Phone running Spotify with Bluetooth 96 kHz, to the Cambridge. But here is the problem: no dedicated line in/out. There is MP3/Aux but unsure how to hook up the graphic equalizer to this amp. Oh, and there is a dedicated port (LFE?) for my JBL subwoofer, I do enjoy bass.

2. Also have a Yamaha R-N303, again entry level I suppose. Official name: Pure Natural Sound Network Receiver. Supports DSD 5.6 MkHz playback with its Burr Brown 192 kHz. DAC, apart from CD, Phono and Line, a 2-port line in/out and a 4-port line in/out. Have been using a wired connection from my router to play Spotify, along with several closed/open back headphones, they sound fantastic. But I digress. Since I have such standard equipment, I was wondering whether the dbx would play nicely with this Yamaha. Given this does have a line in/line out, L and R. But - and this is a big but for me - no dedicated port for a subwoofer. If I were to hook up the equalizer to this amp, would I miss the subwoofer?

I thank you in advance for your time. Best wishes,
Amko

Jul 19, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #4,774 of 4,826
Just picked up sz2k, with pleather crumbling on headband and pads. Scraped the crumbs from the headband and put on dekoni fenestrated sheepskin. Looks good now. BIG BAD BASS.
20230719_191026.jpg

Jul 20, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #4,775 of 4,826
Just picked up sz2k, with pleather crumbling on headband and pads. Scraped the crumbs from the headband and put on dekoni fenestrated sheepskin. Looks good now. BIG BAD BASS.
20230719_191026.jpg

Nice! Please note however, these can's were discontinued like 8-years ago now, and the hinge will snap on you, as it has done for all of us. So, for your sake, I would strongly suggest you also buy a backup, so your not left up schitts creek when the hinge goes on them. Most recently, I bought a pair of Ultrasone Signature X's, they are bass king monster can's. And, they take EQ well, as I am able to deliver +6DB into the sub base channels.

And its IMO, that they have the largest amount of heavily controlled bass, I have ever heard in a can. You might want to consider getting yourself a pair of Ultrasone Signature X's, to have on hand as a backup. And you never know, you may even like them better, due to their much better controlled as well as punchy and deep bass. Take good care of your JVC SZ2000's, and maybe you can get another year out of them.

Jul 20, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #4,776 of 4,826
20230719_191026.jpg

Congrats on your SZ2k. Just a heads up, THIS zip-on headband cover fits the JVC perfectly, I've got one on mine.

Nice! Please note however, these can's were discontinued like 8-years ago now, and the hinge will snap on you, as it has done for all of us. So, for your sake, I would strongly suggest you also buy a backup, so your not left up schitts creek when the hinge goes on them...

Bro, some hinges have broken on folks, but many more pairs of JVC still exist without being broken. Is it a possibility? Sure, but it's not some guaranteed thing like you're saying here.

Most recently, I bought a pair of Ultrasone Signature X's, they are bass king monster can's. And, they take EQ well, as I am able to deliver +6DB into the sub base channels.

And its IMO, that they have the largest amount of heavily controlled bass, I have ever heard in a can. You might want to consider getting yourself a pair of Ultrasone Signature X's, to have on hand as a backup. And you never know, you may even like them better, due to their much better controlled as well as punchy and deep bass.

I'm sorry, but I wholeheartedly disagree with you about the Ultrasone Signature X's so I felt like I should offer my opinion as a counterpoint. I bought a pair of the Sig X's last month and found them to be bass tilted from stock but not hard hitting at all. I tried adding in some bass via EQ and they couldn't handle anything above 7db raises below 100hz without distorting when amplified in most of my setups (the SZ2k and some planars I own regularly handle 20db+ raises sub 100hz). I found the Sig X sub bass to be flabby and not controlled. IMO they are nowhere near a basshead headphone and shouldn't be listed as an alternative to the HA-SZ2000. I sent mine back to Drop the next day.

Here's the 5 different chains I tested the Sig X on, they managed to distort on every one but the phone/Sonata combo:

PC optical out -> Topping D50 -> Schitt Loki -> Emotiva BasX A100 -> Ultrasone Sig X

PC USB out -> Grace SDAC -> JDS Labs Subjective 3 -> Drop THX 789 -> Ultrasone Sig X

PC USB-C out -> Hidizs Sonata II DAC/Amp -> Schiit Magni 3-> Ultrasone Sig X

Android Phone -> Hidizs Sonata II DAC/Amp -> Ultrasone Sig X

FiiO M11 -> Ultrasone Sig X

Jul 20, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #4,777 of 4,826
Just a heads up, THIS zip-on headband cover fits the JVC perfectly

Yep, I got the same one for my VModa cans, very decent headband cushion cover. Since VModa has a super thin headband that digs into your skull, the cushion was a must for me.
some hinges have broken on folks, but many more pairs of JVC still exist without being broken

Well that's great. But mine snapped, and my dreams along with it lol. Then I got my VModa cans as replacement. And while the bass was mostly decent, didn't quite reach the level of the JVC SZ series. Most recently, after owning them for a couple years now, the AUX port in the cans failed, causing intermittent connection.

So, then I was on the hunt for a new pair...Again.
I'm sorry, but I wholeheartedly disagree with you about the Ultrasone Signature X's so I felt like I should offer my opinion as a counterpoint. I bought a pair of the Sig X's last month and found them to be bass tilted from stock but not hard hitting at all

We each are entitled to our own opinion of course, and sound is so subjective to different people's ears. For me, the cans put me back in the theaters. I feel bass so much, it thunders my head, and sometimes travels down my neck almost feel it in my chest at times. My audio chain as follows...

Sound output from computer via HDMI video cable into TV. Sound is not touched but simply passed through digitally via a fiber optic cable into my SMSL M200 DAC. Then it feeds into my Realistic 12-band vintage hardware equalizer unit via 22-gauge Monoprice RCA cables. Then the sound outputs via same 22 gauge RCA cables into my SMSL SP200 AMP, 3 watts per channel into 32-OHMS. My cans are connected to AMP via the 1/4 single ended coil cable.

With this setup, I can listen to music, watch streaming broadcasts, YouTube, movies, and play video games. We all have different needs, this is just what works for me. It's been awhile since I've seen you Old dude, but I never forget a legend like you. 👍

Jul 20, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #4,778 of 4,826
Well that's great. But mine snapped, and my dreams along with it lol. Then I got my VModa cans as replacement. And while the bass was mostly decent, didn't quite reach the level of the JVC SZ series. Most recently, after owning them for a couple years now, the AUX port in the cans failed, causing intermittent connection.

So, then I was on the hunt for a new pair...Again.

Yeah, I remember when yours broke. That had to suck. Did you ever consider going the 3D printing route and replacing the broken hinge?

We each are entitled to our own opinion of course, and sound is so subjective to different people's ears. For me, the cans put me back in the theaters. I feel bass so much, it thunders my head, and sometimes travels down my neck almost feel it in my chest at times. My audio chain as follows...

Sound output from computer via HDMI video cable into TV. Sound is not touched but simply passed through digitally via a fiber optic cable into my SMSL M200 DAC. Then it feeds into my Realistic 12-band vintage hardware equalizer unit via 22-gauge Monoprice RCA cables. Then the sound outputs via same 22 gauge RCA cables into my SMSL SP200 AMP, 3 watts per channel into 32-OHMS. My cans are connected to AMP via the 1/4 single ended coil cable.

With this setup, I can listen to music, watch streaming broadcasts, YouTube, movies, and play video games. We all have different needs, this is just what works for me. It's been awhile since I've seen you Old dude, but I never forget a legend like you. 👍

100% true, this whole hobby is subjective. No two people hear the exact same. I just wanted a differing opinion out there on the Sig X so that if someone were to buy a set and feel similar to the way I did they can't say "Why didn't anyone say anything?" Lol.

I'm glad however that you're enjoying your set and they are providing you the slam you were looking for after the V-Modas. And while I appreciate the sentiment, I'm nowhere near a legend. I'm just some older gent that likes some rumble in his headphones lol.

Jul 20, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #4,779 of 4,826
@OldDude04 ordered the cover, thanks for sharing.

@StarTreker Sig x looks interesting but tbh I did not like the few other ultrasones I have tried.

My current collection of bassookas consists of th900ii, wp900, m565c, and h1707. They all do bass very well, but reproduce it in a different manner. Only listened to sz2k for a couple of hours yesterday, but already love how its bass is different from what I have heard.

Jul 20, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #4,780 of 4,826
@OldDude04 ordered the cover, thanks for sharing.

@StarTreker Sig x looks interesting but tbh I did not like the few other ultrasones I have tried.

My current collection of bassookas consists of th900ii, wp900, m565c, and h1707. They all do bass very well, but reproduce it in a different manner. Only listened to sz2k for a couple of hours yesterday, but already love how its bass is different from what I have heard.

Well arn't you in for a treat then! My experience with the SZ series can's, is that once you get 300 hours into them, they burn in, and its like the drivers loosen up or something, and then your can's really come alive. But then again, your can's are used right, and we have no idea how many listening hours are already on them. But considering that you said that the original pads and headband were in rough shape, that leads me to believe that they were well used prior to your ownership, so maybe your in luck, and they are already achieved their required 300 hour burn in.

I tell ya what, when I first got my SZ can's, I didn't want to do anything else but listen to those for hours on end. I hope that they provide the thrill to you, as I remember they did for me. I hope that you are delivering a couple watts into them with a good AMP, trust me, once you get enough power into those things, they will make you pop a nut, its a life transforming experience like no other. :L3000:

Jul 20, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #4,783 of 4,826
Sorry your set broke. HERE is a thread I found that shows you how to fix it. And HERE is the file for the 3D printed part.

I wish I could fix them, but that thread just looks so difficult for me.

Maybe I could send those 3D file parts to someone who could print it for me and maybe next I just have to follow the instructions on the thread, to print the hinge all I need are those 3 files?

Jul 20, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #4,784 of 4,826
I wish I could fix them, but that thread just looks so difficult for me.

Maybe I could send those 3D file parts to someone who could print it for me and maybe next I just have to follow the instructions on the thread, to print the hinge all I need are those 3 files?

You can use an online service like Treatstock to print the parts. If you're not comfortable doing the repair, look for a local to you electronics repair shop, they might be able to do it for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back