JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Jun 14, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #469 of 4,826
Just got my sz2000's and these are one of the very very few headphones I havn't found so flat and booring straight out of the box that I've taken them straight off and let them burn in by themselves. So far I find the sound very smooth and a bit more "hifi" than the audio technica ws99 and v-moda m-100. The m-100 has a more punchy bass than the sz2000, but the deepest tones are less defined compared to the sz2000. The sub bass on the sz2000 is very well defined and controlled (I'm using the burston "the conductor" amp). Everything else (so far - just used them for an hour or so) sounds great. Nothing in the frequency range is overpowering anything else. I wouldn't call the sz2000 a headphone for bassheads tho, it's too refined for that imho (again, keep in mind mine are fresh out the box...)

I was intrigued with the tech behind these jvc's, and gikigill's positive words about these made me take a chance and order them from japan. For that gikigill, I thank you :)

Jun 14, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #472 of 4,826
Quote:
Does anyone have a frequency chart for the Sz2000? I want to compare them to the M100

I doubt there exists one yet, I'm also very interested in seeing it as it tells me quite a lot already knowing what kinds of curves appeal to me.

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #476 of 4,826
Quote:
They sound like they are similar to the Denon D2000, have you compared those?

Naaah,
These don't sound anything at all like the D2000 to me.
The Denons have more sparkle and air and can sometimes be a bit sibilant. These JVCs are overly warm... and yes, when I say overly, I really mean I find the mids/highs warm giving the appearance that they lack clarity due to it (and they do lack this! Still listening to them at this moment). If you are going to compare these to Denons, we should compare them to the D600s... It actually provides a SIMILAR sound signature BUT the JVC has more forward mids (this is good to me since I like mids... but dammit I like clear mids, not warm mids! :wink: ).

I'm finding that these perform very well with Pop music, but put up some Metal or even some fast punk and... meh! Guitar crunch, where are you?!?!

To the few with these headphones, please listen to something like:

Suicidal Tendencies - We are Family
Bring me The Horizon - The House of Wolves

compare to your other headphones, and post your findings :wink:

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #477 of 4,826
I thought that the D600 were brighter than the D2000 from what i have read?

I found that the D2000 were a bit too bright and had too much sibilance... And I read the the D600 are even brighter than those?

Jun 14, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #479 of 4,826
Quote:
Do you guys think that these are feisable for portable use? 90% of my listening is done through iPhone 5+ FiiO E6 with a NuForce MMP on the way.

Do you mean like walking through doorways and such with them on? 
size]

Jun 14, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #480 of 4,826
Quote:
I thought that the D600 were brighter than the D2000 from what i have read?

I found that the D2000 were a bit too bright and had too much sibilance... And I read the the D600 are even brighter than those?

Not to my ears.
From what I remember the D600 seem to have a "suck-out" in the 3k to 6k region that I don't remember the D2000 having.
Also, the D600 had bigger/slightly boosted bass which probably contributed to feeling that those highs were indeed missing.

Quote:
Do you guys think that these are feisable for portable use? 90% of my listening is done through iPhone 5+ FiiO E6 with a NuForce MMP on the way.

I have to say... these are BIG and they don't fold. They are also a bit heavy.
Also I find the cable slightly short (like 4 feet probably?)
BUT they isolate well and my cube buddies here haven't complained about sound leaking out.
If you are used to going out using bigger headphones, maybe they might not be that bad... but I would still prefer something like the V-Moda M100s when outside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back