JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Mar 15, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #4,066 of 4,826
  As regards the Magni 2 Uber they are 2100 mW RMS :)

I'm using the gain at 5.5x with the Modi 2 with a 1.5 V RMS output.

Hmmm, for the same amount of money I would invest in a real amp that has the capability to burn out the voice coils in the JVC's.  Supposably my little PB2 amp has the power to do bring the JVC 1000 to it's limits.  Claims 2.5W per channel.  Well it's not true. It does power it high enough to tingle my eardrums in less than a minute and the bass goes deep. My desktop amp goes harder and deeper.  Sounds like I'm saying something else.........  

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #4,067 of 4,826
Yeah if we are talking RMS wattage then I want to see at least 4 full watt(4000mW +) RMS before i'll even possibly be impressed @rizzotti91
I'm using the cayin c5 which i have bought and sold maybe 4 times and keep coming back to it. It will make those SZ shake off your head too. The magni will not. 

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #4,068 of 4,826
Don't forget to tighten your seat-belts and put your tray table up, when going at it.  

I got me an old Ashly PQ26 to go along with my Rane Mojo MQ302.  I'll be in bass heaven by next week or so.  I'm going to have to make me a new rack mount cabinet.

So yeah, the dbx 1231 came in. My setup is currently: Schiit Bifrost Multibit --> dbx 1231 --> Audio-GD C-2 11th Anniversary --> JVC HA-SZ2000

I would describe this as a level of fun that I could never expect nor comprehend! I'm inside of a subwoofer!

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #4,069 of 4,826
One amp I'm curious about is the Schiit Jotunheim. At 16 ohms, it can output up to 7,500 mW from the balanced output and 2,500 mW from the single-ended output. (Both RMS.) $399 isn't terribly expensive at all, and it can be used with all sorts of headphones. I just don't know if there's a way to use the balanced output without recabling the SZ2000. Balanced to SE cable adapters are common, but not the other way around. If this isn't an option without recabling, then it's not so appealing.

In other news... I'm so impressed by the Chord Mojo that I've decided to get rid of most of my gear (including it) to more comfortably upgrade to the Hugo 2 once it comes out next month. I'll probably keep the SZ2000 since it's sort of in its own category, and I wouldn't get much for it anyway.

Just noticed the C5 is only $130! Wow. For some reason I thought it was much higher. Might have to try it...

@vapman:
Could you link me to a source that shows 4 watts at 16 ohms for the C5? (All I see is 800 mW + 800 mW @ 32 ohms, and it's not clear whether that just means 800 mW per channel or 1,600 mW.)

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #4,070 of 4,826
One amp I'm curious about is the Schiit Jotunheim. At 16 ohms, it can output up to 7,500 mW from the balanced output and 2,500 mW from the single-ended output. (Both RMS.) $399 isn't terribly expensive at all, and it can be used with all sorts of headphones. I just don't know if there's a way to use the balanced output without recabling the SZ2000. Balanced to SE cable adapters are common, but not the other way around. If this isn't an option without recabling, then it's not so appealing.

In other news... I'm so impressed by the Chord Mojo that I've decided to get rid of most of my gear (including it) to more comfortably upgrade to the Hugo 2 once it comes out next month. I'll probably keep the SZ2000 since it's sort of in its own category, and I wouldn't get much for it anyway.

Just noticed the C5 is only $130! Wow. For some reason I thought it was much higher. Might have to try it...

You can't convert single-ended circuits to balanced. You'd have to do a conversion to something like 4-pin XLR, and then make an adapter if you need single-ended. Not a bad idea, considering the SZ2000 has a short cable. I'm personally buying a Hirose balanced female plug, and will be terminating it to a Hirose balanced to 1/4" adapter (for length). I have an old W5000 cable that's fairly nice and I'd like to keep using it.

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #4,071 of 4,826
You can't convert single-ended circuits to balanced. You'd have to do a conversion to something like 4-pin XLR, and then make an adapter if you need single-ended. Not a bad idea, considering the SZ2000 has a short cable. I'm personally buying a Hirose balanced female plug, and will be terminating it to a Hirose balanced to 1/4" adapter (for length). I have an old W5000 cable that's fairly nice and I'd like to keep using it.

Yeah, that's what I suspected. Not gonna bother with recabling, and I'm sure there are better amps at that price.

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #4,072 of 4,826
  Yeah if we are talking RMS wattage then I want to see at least 4 full watt(4000mW +) RMS before i'll even possibly be impressed @rizzotti91
I'm using the cayin c5 which i have bought and sold maybe 4 times and keep coming back to it. It will make those SZ shake off your head too. The magni will not. 

Do you mean the Magni 2 or the Magni 2 Uber? The output power is different.

What this phenomenon depends on, if not from the power output?

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #4,073 of 4,826

Yeah, that's what I suspected. Not gonna bother with recabling, and I'm sure there are better amps at that price.

Just cut the plug of the SZ2000 and just resolder the proper connector.  The JVC already has 4 conductors, so "balanced" is easy peasy.  I posted a pic a few post back of me running balanced with the 1000, with the use of TRRS connector.  Wire the TRRS so that you can still use it in any standard headphone TRS connector.

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #4,074 of 4,826
  Just cut the plug of the SZ2000 and just resolder the proper connector.  The JVC already has 4 conductors, so "balanced" is easy peasy.  I posted a pic a few post back of me running balanced with the 1000, with the use of TRRS connector.  Wire the TRRS so that you can still use it in any standard headphone TRS connector.

"Not gonna bother" means I'm not gonna bother.

...Somebody should try the SZ2000 on a Schiit Ragnarok, since the same max power (somewhere between 15 and 60 watts RMS at 16 ohms! 
eek.gif
) is available from both balanced and single-ended outputs.
ksc75smile.gif

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #4,075 of 4,826

"Not gonna bother" means I'm not gonna bother.

...Somebody should try the SZ2000 on a Schiit Ragnarok, since the same max power (somewhere between 15 and 60 watts RMS at 16 ohms! 
eek.gif
) is available from both balanced and single-ended outputs.
ksc75smile.gif

That is way to expensive for me man.  400 bucks is my limit for a full size amp and with that I get me a nice 400W amp.

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #4,076 of 4,826
  That is way to expensive for me man.  400 bucks is my limit for a full size amp and with that I get me a nice 400W amp.

hehe, I wasn't sayin' "You should totally buy it!" Just half-joking. It would definitely make more sense to get a reasonably priced speaker amp that would be suitable. I've read about people getting crazy bass driving it from speaker taps.

Are there any single-ended to speaker tap headphone cable adapters or would you have to recable the SZ2000 to balanced for that?

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #4,077 of 4,826

hehe, I wasn't sayin' "You should totally buy it!" Just half-joking. It would definitely make more sense to get a reasonably priced speaker amp that would be suitable. I've read about people getting crazy bass driving it from speaker taps.

Are there any single-ended to speaker tap headphone cable adapters or would you have to recable the SZ2000 to balanced for that?

All you need is a resistor on each of the positive signal wires, when going with a full size amp.  No need to recable the SZ2000 when using an amp that is bridgable.  The non-bridgable amps can be run in "balanced" mode, like my B&K 202+.  The little parasound Zamps that I use, go through a resistor box that I made to run single ended output to the JVC.

If you don't want to bother with building your own stuff, you can hit ebay and look up vintage speaker to headphone adapters for cheap.  

Like this for example.  It goes for 40 bucks or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back