JVC HA-RX900 after 100+ hours of burn-in, a mini review. (pics added!)
Dec 4, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #46 of 60
great review toppop! any comparisons to the ad700? So im guessing that an amp would help but its not very necessary for these? how are these on bass heavy tracks, acoustics?

these might save me some $$$! lol

Dec 9, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #47 of 60
My HA-RX900 just arrived! After taking an initial listen, I can agree, they don't sound great out of the box. Not terrible either, though. I'll post another opinion in a few days.

By the way how necessary would you saying modding is? I have no experience with taking apart anything electronic, I'm afraid I'll mess up. I think I'll wait some months until I'm ready to buy a new pair to try.

Dec 9, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #48 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by darthvivi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way how necessary would you saying modding is? I have no experience with taking apart anything electronic, I'm afraid I'll mess up. I think I'll wait some months until I'm ready to buy a new pair to try.

VERY.

It's pretty easy, as far as modding goes. Read my picture tutorial, and you should gain some confidence!
biggrin.gif
Let me know if you can't find it, and I'll post a link.

Dec 9, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #49 of 60
Dec 9, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #50 of 60
Modding is essential. Once you complete the relatively easy process, you'll be very glad you did.

Dec 10, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #52 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by micmacmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Modding is essential. Once you complete the relatively easy process, you'll be very glad you did.

Essential, probably not. At least I didn't find it necessary to enjoy these cans. Although I did eventually remove the felt rings, and stuff some foam underneath the pads. But that's a good idea, evaluating them first and seeing what your tastes require. It's hard to go wrong on their price tag.
To each there own.

Hey TopPop, like your new avatar. Cool cans you got for your dog!!!
wink.gif

Dec 10, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #53 of 60
What amazes me about the RX900 is how customizable it is. The mod are simple to do (getting a hold of the sound deadener was the hardest part) and can really change the sound. Remove the felt and you open up the high end. Remove the plastic "lens" and the sound becomes a bit more aggressive. Add sound deadener and get rid of the bass hump. Then stuff the cups and alter the bass profile to your liking. It's actually a lot of fun...like acoustic lego.
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #55 of 60
No difference. It's so you don't have to hear them. I sleep 5 feet away from them. I burned in with pink noise with a sock ball between the speakers and loose socks draped over the outside vents tied together with a length of cloth. Just left them hanging on my banana tree like that for several days.

As far as the mods go, VERY needed imo. At the very least you need to stuff the cups SOME, the bass is simply too strong and boomy it floods everything. Even just a LITTLE stuffing won't kill the bass much, but it does wonders for clarity.

Dec 31, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #57 of 60
wow thanks for the review. i was thinking of buying either these or the Audio Technica ATH-M40fs but im not sure which are better. Any response would be greatly appreciated!

Jan 31, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #59 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leto Atreides II /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's always money in the banana stand!

Illusions, Michael... illusions!

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #60 of 60
Hi there
These headphones look awsome , very nice review.
I have a question for you topop
I dont own and headphone amp so are these headphones easy to drive from say a dedicated pc soundcard?
Im also worried about the size, i have a farily small head and ears ,  would they be to loose with a smaller head?
Greets nvb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back