JVC HA RX900 1st Impressions
Oct 10, 2008 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Moontan13

1000+ Head-Fier
I saw these mentioned on the forums here, and decided they were worth a try. Worth it they are. At just under $60 shipped from Buy.com these phones impressed me right off. 1st thing, I chose slow free shipping from Buy on the 7th, and here they are on the 10th. Take a look:

JVC HA-RX900 Stereo Headphone - Wired Connectivity - Stereo - Over-the-head - HARX900 - Buy.com

They're fairly lightweight, not as feather-light as the Denon 1001s, but definitely are built more substatially. They look heavier than they are, but are quite comfy. The large earpads fully enclose my ears with a good solid, yet non-clampy, feel.

As to SQ, the best I can compare to is the Denon 1001 because that's the only phone I have to compare to. Out of the package these JVCs have a better developed sound. The Denons are coming together with break in time as the mids and highs were very recessed when new. The JVCs don't have that problem. While the bass isn't quite as tight as the Denons, it's definitely fuller on the JVCs.

Using an un-amped iPod 5.5 as the source, I listened to Enya: The Memory of Trees, Meat Loaf: Bat Out of Hell 3, and Pantera: Vulgar Display of Power. The Denons did better with Enya, the JVCs with Pantera, and Meatloaf was a toss-up with a slight nod to the JVCs.

Overall, NIIIICE phones for the money.

Oct 11, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on your new headphones. Looks like a pretty sweet deal. I suspect it compares well to an Audio Technica A900. I'm interested in learning how well it performs after some burn-in and amped.

As far as burn-in goes, I'm comparing to Denon 1001s that aren't fully burned in either.
With amping via iPod LOD and Kenwood KA 3500, there's a definite improvement over the iPod alone. I'd say the improvement is the same as with the Denon 1001s, enough that I'd always prefer amped over un-amped.

Oct 11, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #5 of 13
Now we need a comparison with the AH-PX700's! I just ordered these as I was in the market for cheap closed cans.

I like your 1st impresion of the PX-900's. I'll probaly wish that I had spent a few dollars more, but given the economy, I've decided to take the extra 20 and stash in under my mattress.

Cheers!

Oct 11, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #6 of 13
very cool- do you live in socal? we need to compare these to the rx700
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 21, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #7 of 13
Any more words on the JVC HA RX900 vs. ATH-A900?

May 2, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #9 of 13
Well after about 5 weeks of waiting, Buy.com emailed me to let me know that my HA-RX900's are on the way. Their website still shows them as unavailable though. I'll post again with comparisons to the phones in my sig.

May 2, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well after about 5 weeks of waiting, Buy.com emailed me to let me know that my HA-RX900's are on the way. Their website still shows them as unavailable though. I'll post again with comparisons to the phones in my sig.

Congrats! I waited for weeks on the rx700s, but they still never got any in. Buy.com must have received just enough 900s to fill existing orders and a handful leftover for new orders, and now they're sold out again. I nabbed some and hopefully they'll show up this week.

Newegg still has some in stock, but they're slightly more $$$.

May 2, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #11 of 13
cswann1: There reason why they are unavailable on buy.com right now is because someone told us that RX900 has been in stock at buy.com in another thread. So, people were ordering it again and not even 1 day it was unavailable again.
very_evil_smiley.gif
I also ordered one myself
wink_face.gif

May 30, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #13 of 13
I'd say the rx900's by far. I spent a while on the AT's and I got the JVC's a week ago. The JVC's win flat out on midrange with a little EQ to bring down the high bass. I found the AT's to be a bit muddy in comparison.

Edit: the bass is about equal. With the "felt removal" mod the JVC's get super-defined and punchy (the AT's have great bass as well). It's a toss-up with the bass but the JVC's are better phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back