JVC HA-FXZ 100/200
Dec 28, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #1,171 of 3,271
Quote:

In which format? Can you notice the difference to MP3 320K?

I have usually made all my purchases at beatport in 320k mp3 format, I think I'm going to get a set of wav's to see If there is a noticeable difference and if it's worth the extra $/song. Since we're talking about EDM music I think there is less to gain with lossless formats than with e.g. studio-recorded stuff. I might be wrong tho?

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #1,172 of 3,271
Just a note: From tomorrow most shops are closed in Japan until the 4th though most people are on holiday until the 7th, so there may be delays. The Post Office will be busy delivering New Years greeting cards too.

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #1,173 of 3,271
Quote:
Quote:

In which format? Can you notice the difference to MP3 320K?

I have usually made all my purchases at beatport in 320k mp3 format, I think I'm going to get a set of wav's to see If there is a noticeable difference and if it's worth the extra $/song. Since we're talking about EDM music I think there is less to gain with lossless formats than with e.g. studio-recorded stuff. I might be wrong tho?

There's definitely a noticeable difference to me, but I noticed it was mostly in the imaging, not over all sound quality. But that was my initial impression upon hearing it maybe 2 or 3 years ago, and until recently had been on a savespaceandcompresseverything run... Thank god that's over, but still won't buy beatport lossless
I haven't gotten much from BP in lossless, because it's so expensive when the 320 is still professional (DJ) quality Example, I bought DnB Arena Anthology 2 for $22, but I got it on boxing day so %20 off that.... but it's 57 songs, and sale codes don't apply to Lossless format options, so if I got it all in lossless it would have cost me $57 on top of the album price at sale. Not much of a sale if you ask me. The wav's are really only necessary if you're doing edits and such.
All IMHO of course.

Dec 28, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #1,174 of 3,271
I've been listening to FXZ-100 almost 3 hours straight and then switched to XBA-3 and ASG-1.
Suddenly XBA-3 sounds way too metallic and ASG-1 sounds way off without EQ applied. I will try to compare it against my friend's AKG k3003 in few days. I have this feeling that it will be close race.

Dec 28, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #1,175 of 3,271
So do these sound like a FXT90 with more bass or do they have a different signature all together?  I was not a fan of the FXT90 and thought they sounded a bit thin and the separation wasn't very good imo so the fact they look like the FXT90 with a big driver on the back makes me cautious.  Also hows the soundstage along with imaging and separation?  Anyone that's heard the SM3 and these could you compare the SQ, not necessarily the sound signature because I know they'll be different but hows the over SQ relative to the SM3.  I think these would be really good for EDM because of the bass but I want to make sure its a sound signature I'd like and that the SQ is worthy of the $250 to $350 price tag.

I've sold my FXT90 few months ago, so i am just going off by my memory, but i can confidently say FXZ-100 is tuned much better and technically superior in every possible way (am i sound like dsnuts now?)

I am still trying to figure out how JVC managed to put this much bass without offending me.

Funny if FXZ-100 was a bottle of wine, I would given it 95 points.
I would need to spend at least $450-600/bottle to approach this kind of refinement.

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #1,179 of 3,271
I have a sneaky feeling, this will sound pretty epic on the fxz series.

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #1,181 of 3,271
Quote:
I checked and the bass I have issue with is an excess at around 30 Hz. Quite a bit of music I like has been mastered with emphasis in that region and sounds way overblown on the 200s. Weirder still, EQ'ing it down ends up making music sound weird.  I need to experiment more.

I like that Faithless music video too btw.

So, i must be misreading your comment, because it sounds like you are blaming the 200s for showing you the flaw you know exists in the recording(s).  EQ can mess up phase even if it gets the amplitude stuff right - so it's no surprise that EQ can mess things up.  

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #1,182 of 3,271
Quote:
You enjoying them FXZs BG? I am betting on it. I know your sound preference and I know you are impressed as I was. Happy listening my friend.

Listened to the 100's for a couple of hours last night.  I'm amazed at the clarity and detail I'm hearing.  I'd about decided my "older ears" had lost the ability to hear some of that top-end sparkle, but THERE IT IS.  And the bass just wants to wrap you up in it's warmth and lushness.  Vocals are amazing. It's like you and others have said.... like listening to nice full-size headphones or a 2.1 setup.

So far, I've managed to NOT listen to the 200's while they burn in (other than the quick 3 minute fresh-out-of-the-box taste).  I'd like to give them 100 hours before listening, but I'm afraid the will is weak.

So glad I went ahead and got these now instead of later!

~BG

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #1,183 of 3,271
Quote:
So, i must be misreading your comment, because it sounds like you are blaming the 200s for showing you the flaw you know exists in the recording(s).  EQ can mess up phase even if it gets the amplitude stuff right - so it's no surprise that EQ can mess things up.  

No, he's saying both have extra there and is further emphasizing the issue. EQ problems probably have more to do with band pass issues than phase in the digital circuits commonly used.

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #1,184 of 3,271
Tf10 is shivering.....

The 200 loves amplification, as I did some comparison with the the Walkman Z-1070 amped and non amped, this iem has some serious character.
I am telling you, the only time I was blown like this, is when I got my JH16!!! but for this price and comfy insertion, the more I listen, the more I appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back