JVC HA-FXZ 100/200
Dec 27, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #1,156 of 3,271
I fixed the problem with the bass. Nightcrawler PMed me a suggestion about insertion. I had the small tips on for maximum comfort. However using the medium tips sits them a bit shallower and the sound is more what I remember it -- bass not so overwhelming but the highs a bit more recessed as a result.

I'll run pink noise through them overnight and see if I get any changes. My usual experience with burn-in has been a reduction in harshness, both with headphones and electronics, with the odd exception.

By the way, I emailed Craig at kuboTEN (he lives down the road from me, literally) to check if he is in town for this holiday season and he is, so I told him about the JVCs if any of you would like to order through a fellow Head-Fier.

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #1,157 of 3,271
So do these sound like a FXT90 with more bass or do they have a different signature all together?  I was not a fan of the FXT90 and thought they sounded a bit thin and the separation wasn't very good imo so the fact they look like the FXT90 with a big driver on the back makes me cautious.  Also hows the soundstage along with imaging and separation?  Anyone that's heard the SM3 and these could you compare the SQ, not necessarily the sound signature because I know they'll be different but hows the over SQ relative to the SM3.  I think these would be really good for EDM because of the bass but I want to make sure its a sound signature I'd like and that the SQ is worthy of the $250 to $350 price tag.

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #1,158 of 3,271
Quote:
Quote:
I salivate every time I come to this thread. 

This is the track I'm updating my sig with. Would someone with the Z200s mind giving this one a go and comment on how it sounds? I'm pretty interested in how it's staged, it's a very busy song with a pretty nice soundscape. I really like the drum tracks and the the fact that there's solos in a drum and bass song. Marion's voice is also divine. 

That could very well be the coolest thing I've heard on these so far.  The staging is impressive and nothing is really falling on anything else - the sound is zig-zagging out of everywhere.  I feel like Johnny Depp in Fear and Loathing being attacked by the bats.  The bass is very prominent but holds together well and is nicely textured.

The 3 things that really stand out for me with these phones at this point - 1) staging, 2) timbre, 3) lack of fatigue. 

This song is my number one song for 2012. 

Hahaha @ Jonny Depp in bat country. Sorry for the trip 
ksc75smile.gif

That just made this fence I'm sitting on, REALLY narrow. How does it sound to others? This song is pretty dynamic

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #1,160 of 3,271
Quote:
So do these sound like a FXT90 with more bass or do they have a different signature all together?  I was not a fan of the FXT90 and thought they sounded a bit thin and the separation wasn't very good imo so the fact they look like the FXT90 with a big driver on the back makes me cautious.  Also hows the soundstage along with imaging and separation?  Anyone that's heard the SM3 and these could you compare the SQ, not necessarily the sound signature because I know they'll be different but hows the over SQ relative to the SM3.  I think these would be really good for EDM because of the bass but I want to make sure its a sound signature I'd like and that the SQ is worthy of the $250 to $350 price tag.

Well to sum it up, form what impressions I've read here, they are more like a 2.1 sound system in your ears. There's 2 dynamic drivers and a third Kelton subwoofer in each ear. That lends to quite a sound stage, and that's what others have been saying is that the imaging is more inline with fullsized cans than IEMs - 3D  imaging and separation (asked this question myself)

As for $250-$350, you're looking in the WROOOONG place. A few pages back, people here have been using amazon.co.jp and Tenso forwarding service and getting both Z100 and Z200 for less than $350

Quote:
looks like ill catch the next hype train- jvc fxz 300/400? 

Why?

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #1,162 of 3,271
Quote:
That lends to quite a sound stage, and that's what others have been saying is that the imaging is more inline with fullsized cans than IEMs - 3D  imaging and separation 

Yeah, it's a bit of a mind-*****... they sound like they should be vented.  Esp. impressive are vocals... they just seem to float in space.  

If anyone is a Radiohead fan... check out Nude.  Seriously, wow.  The vocals are incredible, but this is where I'm first paying attention to cymbals, they have real shimmer, body, and decay.  

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #1,163 of 3,271
Quote:

Yeah, it's a bit of a mind-*****... they sound like they should be vented.  Esp. impressive are vocals... they just seem to float in space.  

If anyone is a Radiohead fan... check out Nude.  Seriously, wow.  The vocals are incredible, but this is where I'm first paying attention to cymbals, they have real shimmer, body, and decay.  

Notice how deep vocals sound.? Something that wowed me was what seems to be an endless amount of depth in the sound. Once you get used to this sound it is tough to hear other earphones. Not a good thing if you enjoy your other earphones. Lol. 

You enjoying them FXZs BG? I am betting on it. I know your sound preference and I know you are impressed as I was. Happy listening my friend.

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #1,164 of 3,271
Quote:
Notice how deep vocals sound.? Something that wowed me was what seems to be an endless amount of depth in the sound. Once you get used to this sound it is tough to hear other earphones. Not a good thing if you enjoy your other earphones. Lol. 

You enjoying them FXZs BG? I am betting on it. I know your sound preference and I know you are impressed as I was. Happy listening my friend.

I'm like Tom Cruise jumping on a couch here (there needs to a smiley for that yeah?).  Did not think this was possible in an IEM, even a top CIEM - if I did I would have paid $1k+ a long time ago.  These sound like great headphones to me.  They're not perfect, but they're a solid step in that direction.  And they seem genre agnostic... had on Kind of Blue, then Steely Dan, then GnR.  Heft, texture, space, detail.  Can't stop listening.

FWIW, I've had them on 3 separate sessions of about an hour of bass heavy/fast music about 50% above listening volume level.  Not sure if it was the all day listening or that or a combo, but they're a world away from open box.

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #1,165 of 3,271
Well I decided to use my Christmas gift money and give the FXZ100 a try. I just have a feeling the FXZ200 will be to much bass for me so went the safer route.

Miow, I will be curious how the FXZ200 work out for you. I just received my K167's and will be curious how you find the bass of the FXZ200 in comparison. The K167's are not fully burned in and I am finding they have just about as much bass I would like in a headphone. BTW the K167 is a lot more comfortable and portable than I thought they were going to be. I am still not sure if they will replace my K550's or not but I think they are a heck a good headphone and with burnin, who knows...

So Back to the FXZ100, I placed an order on Amazon JP and signed up for the Amazon Prime free trial to get the free expedited shipping and payed via credit card. So now do I just wait for Tenso to contact me?

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #1,166 of 3,271
Quote:
Well I decided to use my Christmas gift money and give the FXZ100 a try. I just have a feeling the FXZ200 will be to much bass for me so went the safer route.

Miow, I will be curious how the FXZ200 work out for you. I just received my K167's and will be curious how you find the bass of the FXZ200 in comparison. The K167's are not fully burned in and I am finding they have just about as much bass I would like in a headphone. BTW the K167 is a lot more comfortable and portable than I thought they were going to be. I am still not sure if they will replace my K550's or not but I think they are a heck a good headphone and with burnin, who knows...

So Back to the FXZ100, I placed an order on Amazon JP and signed up for the Amazon Prime free trial to get the free expedited shipping and payed via credit card. So now do I just wait for Tenso to contact me?

I'll let you know dweaver. And yes, the K167's do change alot with burn-in.

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #1,167 of 3,271
Quote:

Just a quick note before you do that... I just popped the FXD-80s back in.  To my ears they have a similar quantity of bass, but 80s lack definition in the lower regions.  The 200s hold it together and provide a more coherent, fleshed out treble and much better mids.  Overall they're a bit warmer but much, much better.  I think it may be a bit of a disservice to consider these a basshead IEM.

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #1,168 of 3,271
Damn, I thought I was going to save some dough now that I found the end game FXZ200's, but then I surf onto beatport and I want to buy every single tune I hear!!

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #1,170 of 3,271

Miow, I will be curious how the FXZ200 work out for you. I just received my K167's and will be curious how you find the bass of the FXZ200 in co mparison. The K167's are not fully burned in and I am finding they have just about as much bass I would like in a headphone. BTW the K167 is a lot more comfortable and portable than I thought they were going to be. I am still not sure if they will replace my K550's or not but I think they are a heck a good headphone and with burnin, who knows...

Wait for tenso to contact you, should not be too long, in 2-3 days tops

Users who are viewing this thread

Back