JVC HA-FXZ 100/200
Dec 28, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #1,217 of 3,271
Quote:
i rang them today to try and pay. they told me it was like 30 for  VAT and then £13 for handling costs. i couldn't pay today as the package wasn't at my local west London hub. will try and pay tomorrow i hope.
they may calculate your tax differently but i doubt it.

I'm getting really impenitent waiting for these
angry_face.gif

Yeah likewise, seems i have to wait for them to arrive at my local depot first.

If that's the case i probably won't see these until the new year, as my depot is miles away.

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #1,218 of 3,271
Quote:
dutchi, the reason there's no 'baseline' (meaning reference) is that so much of the music you fellas are listening to has no reference. Electronic music is open ended. You can never refer back to a real world open air sound to compare it to and so you will never know if the bass quality is reference quality or just to someone's particular basshead tastes. Compare that scenario to a cello or a bass guitar or a bass drum. Then there is a reference and someone who is familiar with those instruments can tell, yes this is accurate, no this is not. This is my big issue with electronic based music and discussion of sound. It really just makes for a jumbled discussion and I believe headphone design, trying to please and accomodate 'unreal sounds' made by 1's and 0's and real sounds made by human souls. Two different things entirely.

I'd put it a bit differently.  Acoustic instruments do have a reference, but then you use microphones and electronics to record and play them back so you have to judge the whole electronic chain.  So, you have to use what's called 'inference to the best explanation'.  that is, using a number of different records, amps, preamps, speakers, iems, etc...  you can form a basis on which to say one is more accurate than another, but not with complete certainty.

with 'electronica', there is no acoustic reference, so it's like seeing a movie based on a novel and arguing with a friend over whether the actor playing the main character was too tall or not - it's fiction, there is  no main character in real life with a specific height to get right or wrong.  That is, people decide what they like on the basis of which products make their music sound the way they want it to.  Nothing wrong with that.  Just not sure how that kind of 'advice' would transfer to another person.

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #1,220 of 3,271
Quote:
I want the best of all worlds, too. I want a lot of deep bass with a hard bass punch added to it. But, I want the bass to stay put in its place and keep itself from invading the mids and highs. Most people's ears appreciate that. Some will tolerate it better than others if this doesn't happen, but our ears know well what the best of all worlds is, and they want it. Do any of these FXZs have the best of all worlds?

Quote:
another one wanting hard bass punch ! it never ends. I'm in the wrong thread.....Don't all of you order your sets from japan, In a week you might see mine $25 off in the classifieds!  I may need a basshead buyer.

You have not gotten it, yet.  I will explain some more, then.  As much as I like bass, I do not want any frequencies denatured by the abundance of bass.  So, the perfect headphone for me, would be one that would only give that abundant bass that I wrote about, when equalized to do so and when the bass is present in the music.  Those headphones should be capable of that, without making the mids and highs sound bassy.  I would not want a piano solo to sound bassy, just because I like lots of bass.  Neither would I want the vocals to sound bassy.  Never.  That is why I said the best or all worlds.

Please someone answer the following:  Are these the real deal?  Do these have the best of all worlds?  Are (or is) any of these two JVCs our Messiah, or should we wait for another one to come?  HA, HA.

Also, some posters are waiting for a comparison between these new JVCs and the FX700.

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #1,221 of 3,271
Quote:

Please someone answer the following:  Are these the real deal?  Do these have the best of all worlds?

I'm incapable of an objective response at this point being pretty much head over heels.

One thing I will say, I've spent all morning listening to Steely Dan.  If you're a fan you know what a sonic treat their work is, they truly used the recording studio as an instrument.  I feel as if I'm being treated to a live concert.  Right now listening Aja which is perhaps their most complex arrangement and it's just jaw dropping gorgeous.  

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #1,222 of 3,271
is this too bass-y for people? 
darthsmile.gif
  I guess I Count as a Bass-head!

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #1,226 of 3,271
If a headphone could satisfy a self acknowledged 'sophisticated' 'audiophile' basshead as some of you are suggesting you are AND someone who just plain loves great bass, but not any more than he loves great mids or great treble AND do it for both techno/dub/house etc AND classical/classic rock/jazz/blues...................that would be an EXTRAORDINARY ACHIEVEMENT.....I haven't received my 100's yet, but if they are such a revolution in sound, i'll be the first to admit, likewise if they are just really nice bass targeted headphones.......do any of you not hear or have a problem with the downward sloping eq clearly seen in the fx90 model from the bass all through the mids and into the treble......These must sound at least somewhat 'warm' and 'dark' or else the FR graph is incorrect or different from the fx90. I mean either something is audiophile or it's not. And if the mids and treble are all rolled off, i'm not sure that could be called such unless somehow it doesn't sound that way. I guess that could be somehow as I trust ears more than graphs but that graph is so far from flat, there must be something heard as such by you guys.

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #1,228 of 3,271
From your signature, I see you're a member of both the basshead club and the analytical club ! talk about double duty ! good to hear they are at least a sophisticated bass targeted phone. I hope the 100 is just right for me as one who loves bass, mids, and treble all in just the right balance.

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #1,229 of 3,271
I would consider these audiophile bassy. The word here is quality. At the same time the sub woofer in these make other earphones with bass something not so substantial..It appeals to the audiophile in me and the basshead in me. Something that I thought would never happen.

Ive been looking for headphones that fit this description. I like bass to have a strong presence, but in a way that doesn't sacrifice other parts of sound spectrum. I'm able to accomplish this with car and home audio with ALOT of work, but I've never heard it in headphones. These may be what I've been searching for my entire life.

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #1,230 of 3,271

This is the bass I'm talking about  It can pick it up and a lot of IEMs don't pick this up.  But its not rattling my brain.  I know its there.  
I like this kind of bass but its not necessary to like what the 200's have and I don't think Currawong is much of a basshead either.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back