JVC HA-FXZ 100/200
Dec 17, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #706 of 3,271
Quote:
So I need some convincing/advice.

My girlfriend HATES how into head-fi I am, but I don't think she understands the obssession with sound that we go through. Now I'm still relatively new to the high end personal audio game, and my perogative when joining head-fi was to find those few pieces of equipment that will satisfy my every needs. I'm 100% sure the M-100 is my mobile headphone, so I'm entirely happy with that purchase. When it comes to home amping, I'm hesitant if I'll REALLY need one considering most of my home listening is on my 2.1 monitor system, but I do eventually want to get a Lyr for many reasons, including preamp.

But anyways my next audio related purchase was planned to be another fullsized can that's neutral, closed, and has super bang for buck. After researchng and pining over a few out of budget cans, I came across the Mad Dogs. So I'm again 100% confident I want those. They look really awesome too, I love the retro sit-in-my-room-and-listen-to-the-new-vinyl-i-just-bought look they have going for them. My mixer can drive them so amping is not a concern for that. 

BUT NOW I HAVE BEEN READING THIS THREAD

I think I want these before a neutral home can that won't get nearly as much use as my portable 2.1 (or 2.2?) system in my ears.

Basically I'm very confident in what my end game for all types of personal audio will be. But I need convincing to either spend more money on Mad Dogs, or ride the hype train and boom my brain out with the FXZ200.

I think the selling point would be if the FXZ200 could be used for reference or not. I'm also SUPER worried about cable damage since it's not replaceable. I have the WORST luck with cable damage. 

As dsnuts mentioned, the FXZ200s have a compelling attribute to its soundstage and subwoofer power. It contains the mids and highs in addition to the powerful bass. The mids should be refined compared to the madogs, the highs should have the same type of refinement, and the bass definately has it from dsnut's description. With an fxz100, it has less bass than the fxz200, it has a GREAT amount of bass to satiate bassheads to the point of holding off the fxz200 for a later purchase. The mids and highs are great and transparent, the vivid details of the earphones makes you feel like you are in a live concert because of its airyness. It is a bit more neutral than the fxz200, unless I'm wrong. Now let dsnuts immerse you with his own vivid imagery!

Dec 17, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #707 of 3,271
Quote:

The soundstage is wide (not the widest ever, but wide). Three-D all the way. Mids are not recessed or super forward. Just right. No mid-bass-boosting or bloat. If you like sub-bass the TDK IE800 won't be enough for you (although it has enough and is a wonderful sounding IEM).

Thanks ericp10, I appreciate it. I'd imagine that FXZ-100 are quite easily driver or do they scale well with amping?

Dec 17, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #708 of 3,271
Quote:

My girlfriend HATES how into head-fi I am, but I don't think she understands the obssession with sound that we go through. Now I'm still relatively new to the high end personal audio game, and my perogative when joining head-fi was to find those few pieces of equipment that will satisfy my every needs. I'm 100% sure the M-100 is my mobile headphone, so I'm entirely happy with that purchase. When it comes to home amping, I'm hesitant if I'll REALLY need one considering most of my home listening is on my 2.1 monitor system, but I do eventually want to get a Lyr for many reasons, including preamp.

But anyways my next audio related purchase was planned to be another fullsized can that's neutral, closed, and has super bang for buck. After researchng and pining over a few out of budget cans, I came across the Mad Dogs. So I'm again 100% confident I want those. They look really awesome too, I love the retro sit-in-my-room-and-listen-to-the-new-vinyl-i-just-bought look they have going for them. My mixer can drive them so amping is not a concern for that. 

I think I want these before a neutral home can that won't get nearly as much use as my portable 2.1 (or 2.2?) system in my ears.

Basically I'm very confident in what my end game for all types of personal audio will be. But I need convincing to either spend more money on Mad Dogs, or ride the hype train and boom my brain out with the FXZ200.

I think the selling point would be if the FXZ200 could be used for reference or not. I'm also SUPER worried about cable damage since it's not replaceable. I have the WORST luck with cable damage. 

I am sure those mad dogs will be nice cans for you but I am gonna just tell you. Once you read some more impressions of the FXZ200 that will happen. These will nag and nag and bother you till you do something about it. So. Might as well get them is my thought..You gotta consider what you need the headphones for too. If you want one for the house I am sure the Mad Dogs would be proper but if you want one on the go as well as being able to use them at the home the FXZs are versatile like that.  Nothing is cooler than having a full 2.1 in your ears. If so tell me what it is and let me look into it. I am leading the uber sound geek revolution.

Remember. " Oh these? These are my Subs"  See, if you get the mad dogs. You will always be left with. What if I got them FXZ200 instead. But if you get these..There is a very good chance you will not think about what if on the mad dogs. Very good chance. As for the cable damage. Just be careful. Not too hard to do really.. Now if you want to go ahead and grab a pair of mad dogs. As you had your heart set on it. By all means you have to do what you gotta do. If so. Unsubscribe from this thread. It will only make you want these more so..

I will tell you the reason why these are the focus of my attention right now. There are plenty of earphones that sound like headphones. But these, these sound like speakers..To me that is not just an achievement that is mind blowing. You can get yourself mad doggy dog. Someone else's mod that someone else says sounds great. Or you can go with one of the most important advancements in earphone technology I can think of from the wizards at JVC. Do what it is you gotta do.

Hell if it was me I would get both.. You can always get one and the other later. That is an option too.

Dec 17, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #709 of 3,271
Quote:
Thanks ericp10, I appreciate it. I'd imagine that FXZ-100 are quite easily driver or do they scale well with amping?

Scale very well with amping. Using one of my iPods or Sony DAPs, I can't virtually turn them all the way up with out the music sounding too loud to my ears (but I rarely do). So it takes a little power to drive the FXZ100, and it loves the amp power of something like the Fiio E9

Dec 17, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #710 of 3,271
Quote:

Scale very well with amping. Using one of my iPods or Sony DAPs, I can't virtually turn them all the way up with out the music sounding too loud to my ears (but I rarely do). So it takes a little power to drive the FXZ100, and it loves the amp power of something like the Fiio E9

These do take to amping really well.. I think the FXZ100 is the better one to use with portables. The FXZ200 sounds the way I described using my dac/amps. I do notice a step back in sound when using just my Z1060 on them.

Dec 17, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #711 of 3,271
^ And the magic and glory of dsnuts blossoms in all of it's full glory. I now understand. If I don't get the 200's, it will be the single biggest regret of my life
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #713 of 3,271
Thanks for the input. I'm planning to use my Galaxy S with voodoo sound. It has a pretty decent amplifier. Is it fair to say that I won't hear a big difference between FXZ200 and FXZ100 if I don't plan to use an external amp? I'd guess FXZ200 needs more juice(amping) or is that incorrect?

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #714 of 3,271
Quote:
Quote:

I am sure those mad dogs will be nice cans for you but I am gonna just tell you. Once you read some more impressions of the FXZ200 that will happen. These will nag and nag and bother you till you do something about it. So. Might as well get them is my thought..You gotta consider what you need the headphones for too. If you want one for the house I am sure the Mad Dogs would be proper but if you want one on the go as well as being able to use them at the home the FXZs are versatile like that.  Nothing is cooler than having a full 2.1 in your ears. If so tell me what it is and let me look into it. I am leading the uber sound geek revolution.

Remember. " Oh these? These are my Subs"  See, if you get the mad dogs. You will always be left with. What if I got them FXZ200 instead. But if you get these..There is a very good chance you will not think about what if on the mad dogs. Very good chance. As for the cable damage. Just be careful. Not too hard to do really.. Now if you want to go ahead and grab a pair of mad dogs. As you had your heart set on it. By all means you have to do what you gotta do. If so. Unsubscribe from this thread. It will only make you want these more so..

I will tell you the reason why these are the focus of my attention right now. There are plenty of earphones that sound like headphones. But these, these sound like speakers..To me that is not just an achievement that is mind blowing. You can get yourself mad doggy dog. Someone else's mod that someone else says sounds great. Or you can go with one of the most important advancements in earphone technology I can think of from the wizards at JVC. Do what it is you gotta do.

Hell if it was me I would get both.. You can always get one and the other later. That is an option too.

Okay. Soo0o0ooo0ooo00oo0o0o0ooo0oo...... Dec 26 I'm ordering the FXZ200

I mostly need a neutral can for studio monitoring, but if these are like 2.1 speakers in yor ears, then who needs monitoring headphones?

I'll still get the MDs in the future, but the FXZ200s are definitely endgame IEMs for me. My CKM500s can be my work pair 
etysmile.gif

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #715 of 3,271
So I'm going to let DannyBai and Dsnuts keep this hype train moving. I'm going on hiatus from this post for awhile. After a wonderful long weekend of enjoying the FXZ100, I've forced myself to pry it out of my ears. It will go under significant burn-in mode now for like three days or so. In the meantime I'll enjoy the wonderful BA200, IE800, and simply fantastic 1964 EARS V6 (the best IEM I own right now from a technical standpoint). 

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #717 of 3,271
Okay. Soo0o0ooo0ooo00oo0o0o0ooo0oo...... Dec 26 I'm ordering the FXZ200

I mostly need a neutral can for studio monitoring, but if these are like 2.1 speakers in yor ears, then who needs monitoring headphones?

I'll still get the MDs in the future, but the FXZ200s are definitely endgame IEMs for me. My CKM500s can be my work pair :etysmile:

dont worry about cable breakage
by the time, the cables have worn down, or you cracked them
dsnuts and ericp would have had better headphones or iems to hype
august was the hs500, december is the fxz100/fxz200, next one is coming up in april? :D

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #718 of 3,271
Quote:
august was the hs500, december is the fxz100/fxz200, next one is coming up in april?
biggrin.gif

Yeah, make no mistake... these are endgame.  For this season. 
smily_headphones1.gif
  Triple dynamic + triple armature hybrid or bust.  Or make that quadruple dynamic.  Most high end home theatre systems utilize 2 subs nowadays anyway.  I'm sure we'll be there before the end of next year.

Alright, got my order in thru amazon.jp -> tenso.  So pumped!  Hopefully these will arrive before the end of this year.

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #720 of 3,271
Quote:
Quote:
august was the hs500, december is the fxz100/fxz200, next one is coming up in april?
biggrin.gif

Yeah, make no mistake... these are endgame.  For this season. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Alright, got my order in thru amazon.jp -> tenso.  So pumped!  Hopefully these will arrive before the end of the year.

I'm leaving this site then hahahaha

Not really, but I'm having a hard time imagining how anything could out do this hype train. The HA-S500 hype train had me for a while but I sought a different product entirely. But from the rave reviews of the FXZx00s I'm convinced they're exactly what I need........... HAH! I caught myself saying NEED. But I think at this point it's not just me chugging along on the hype train, it's a need. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back