JVC HA-FX40 | Believe the hype!
Jan 18, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #46 of 226
C.ed & P.ed from Dsnuts' Discovery thread: On the JVC FX40/ 101s.

I know that these JVC FX40/ 101s are no longer as relevant now as before due to the new kid on the block, that super refined bang for the buck Sony MH1Cs and maybe the TDK MT-300s as well (shout out and love to all my Canadian bros for this major discovery!). But since I still have a lot of love for these cheapo JVCs, despite I was going to sell them off due to their harsh highs I was willing to give them a last chance.

I wanted to do a little experiment that involved our beloved hype-man himself, Dsnuts. Since we seem to all hear different, I have always wondered if our fearless leader's hearing abilities was really that amazing or was he just somewhat hearing impaired/ has crazy tolerance for harsh highs since he claims he detected zero harshness in his FX40/ 101s. Also like others, I was somewhat skeptical about his so called "burn-in" claims that can tame the wildest of these beasts, the FX40s with it's crazy harsh treble/ sibilance. 

Basically I just wanted to hear his set of FX40/ 101s and compare it to mine, since he stated numerous times that he do not hear any harshness or sibilance due to his supposed flawless burn-in method. I was like "yeah right Ds" zero harshness my @ss cuz there is no way he can not hear any harshness in these JVCs when I still hear it despite tons of burn-in on my part.

Long story short, Ds was kind enough to trade me his most beat up/ burned in set of FX40s/ 101s for my newer sets that had little personal use but has had a good amount of burn-in on the burn station. Well here is what he thought of my sets:

"My FX40 is more broken in than yours. I can tell the difference right away. I will send you my pair..I will just burn in your FX40 and send you my pair.

The highs are sharper on your pair and bass not as tight as my pair.

The FX101 is not bad but I can also tell these are not as broken in as my pair by a hair. But on the FX40 I can clearly tell. Will pack em up and send em to you.The FX101 does have a upper mid spike but will mellow more so with more burn in."

Well, I got to give it to the nutman, he does indeed have a great set of ears and that his flawless burn-in method is the real deal to a certain extent. His impressions of my sets were spot on despite not knowing which sets I was sending him. When I A/B my "burned to hell" set of FX40s to his, there was noticeably less peakiness in his FX40s. The highs on his were extended just like mine but it was a bit more mellowed out, hence sibilance and harshness was not as apparent.

The FX101s is somewhat of a different story, though. My well burned in sets sounds about the same as Dsnuts', and that harshness/ sibilance resulting in a peaky treble can be detected more easily compared to the FX40s.

In conclusion, this little experiment showed that burn-in, specifically Dsnuts burn-in method works and was more effective than mine on the FX40s because his FX40s were more tamed/ mellowed out. This was probably due to his use of better/ more powerful sources such as dacs/ amps for burn-in as compared to my cheapo lappy soundcard and mp3 players. Nonetheless, I would still consider these FX40s, especially the FX101s as somewhat "bright" iems even with burn-in.  Burn-in works to an extent and these FX40s seems to be more receptive to it, yielding much better results than the FX101s, most likely due to its Carbon Nano Tube properties.  Also this little experiment proves that Dsnuts' tolerance for harshness/ sibilance/ peaky highs is a lot higher than mine. So next time take his hype, i mean "impressions" with a grain of salt when it comes to treble.
wink_face.gif

The moral of the story: BURN THE HELL OUTTA YOUR FX40s, it will eventually tame it.

edit: Oh man, Ds' set of FX40s sounds too good right now, they are keepers for sure. Been re-listening to these FX40s lately and have fallen in love with them again. I might be trippin' but damn it the bass on his FX40s sound bigger than deeper than my set as well.  Nutman's Burn-in station is no joke!!!
ph34r.gif

Enjoy!

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #47 of 226
Mine came in the other day and my initial impressions on the lows was like, wow these are realllly fun to listen to. Then the super sparkly simbilance started to kill my ears. Been extensively playing bass and drum heavy music, anything between edm and August burns red. Got about 50 hours in so far. Still a tad sparkly but not nearly as bad as just out of box. Only listened to them 3 times to check the progress. Initially out of box on Wednesday, yesterday and just now.

Pretty awesome for $20. I still love my se215 but very impressed for something that was $20

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #49 of 226
Guess I need to burn mine in some more. They're probably at about 100 hours give or take. Maybe I'll hit 'em hard this weekend with some loud bass heavy stuff set on repeat. They still don't sound as good as my trusty old NuForce Ne-6's. I re-fell in love with these when I got my FiiO E6 for my gym rig. I'm starting to think I'm a bass head or something because all my other IEM's just sound thin compared to the Ne-6 and I like a full well rounded sound when I'm banging it out at the gym and not critically listening.

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #50 of 226
I've never really burned anything in, but I definitely like these more than I did out of the box. I really should get another pair just to compare the two. Also, any chance some could help me out. Are there any recommendations for something under $100 that would be an upgrade to these, but with a similar signature? I've only ever had these and the m6's as far as iem's go, and I've really liked both of them.

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #51 of 226
Quote:
I've never really burned anything in, but I definitely like these more than I did out of the box. I really should get another pair just to compare the two. Also, any chance some could help me out. Are there any recommendations for something under $100 that would be an upgrade to these, but with a similar signature? I've only ever had these and the m6's as far as iem's go, and I've really liked both of them.

Welp, looks like you already found that JVC FXD thread. Do check out the new ATH-CKN line though, cuz they seem to be a bit more refined than JVC FXDs and is cheaper but they are still too new, so there are not many impressions of them yet. There are some in Dsnuts discovery thread of the ATH-CKN50s though.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-ath-ad900x-pg403-dannybs-first-take-ath-ckn50-pg383

Good luck!

Jan 31, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #55 of 226
Mine just came in today. Right out of the box you can easily notice the harsh highs. Sound overall is good, nothing special out of the box. 

I PM'ed Dsnuts alot about these IEM's before they even arrived. Got great tips from him and especially about how to burn these in. Plan is to blast them with tons of Drum N Bass at about 75-80% volume (via Dsnuts recommendation) and mix in the occasional pink/white/brown noise.  

Also big thanks to geko95gek for some additional Drum N Bass tracks. 

Edit: Im alittle upset that out of the box, one of the shells came with a ding on it. Nothing major, as the IEM's work fine. No plans to return them as they are only $15 IEMs.

Feb 1, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #56 of 226
Have about 23 hrs of burn in so far. Decided to give them a listen and they sound a lot better now. Still a long way to go to get these fully burned in and "tamer." 

Feb 2, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #60 of 226
Quote:
Can you share the Drum and Bass tracks you are using?  And can you please share Dsnuts tips for burn in?
Thanks a lot.

Dsnuts pretty much told me to get the bass heaviest and fast beat driven Drum n Bass and just let it play. Drum N Bass is pretty much the best type of music for breaking these in. Also needs to be played at 75-80% of max volume (obviously not while wearing them). Others have tried pink/white/brown noise and they haven't done much to these IEM's. Dsnuts said these IEM's have some of the stiffest drivers; users that think they did a good job of burning them in, later find out they only loosened them halfway (probably what happened to user at top of this page). They will probably need well over 200hrs of burn in, to get the "true" sound in my opinion. 

These are the Drum n Bass tracks Im using (recommended by Dsnuts and geko95gek).
http://www.bassdrivearchive.com/flashme/ 

https://soundcloud.com/infraredmusic/j-majik-wickaman-kiss-presents

https://soundcloud.com/hardcoreunderground/the-hardcore-underground-show

And trance
https://soundcloud.com/liftedandreas

Im using the above plus random Drum N Bass tracks I find on Soundcloud. Also Im mixing in white/pink/brown noise. What Im doing is 3hrs of white/pink/brown noise (at regular listening volume) and then 21 hrs of Drum N Bass (at 80% of full volume). 

Edit: Ive read the stock memory foam tip that is included by JVC is the best. I have some MEE tips I may try also. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back