JVC HA-FX40 | Believe the hype!
Feb 2, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #63 of 226
Quote:
Thanks for sharing this information.  Thanks to Dsnuts as well for all his knowledge and help.  They have shipped and are on their way to me.

No problem, give them a good burn in before you judge them. Also I notice you have the MH1C, can you do a comparison of them?

Quote:
Should I get the JVC FX3X over these? I'm quite a bass head.
tongue.gif

My original decision was between the FX40 and FX3X but I eliminated the FX3X as I wanted something under $20.

This is what Dsnuts said regarding the two:

"Go for the FX3X. It has a much bigger sound than the FX40 and even bigger bass. It is the one I would go for EDM. They use carbon drivers meaning you gotta burn them in real good."

The last part about the burn in is regarding the FX40 which uses carbon nanotube, dont believe the FX3X uses them (might be wrong though).

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #64 of 226
No problem, give them a good burn in before you judge them. Also I notice you have the MH1C, can you do a comparison of them?

My original decision was between the FX40 and FX3X but I eliminated the FX3X as I wanted something under $20.

This is what Dsnuts said regarding the two:

"Go for the FX3X. It has a much bigger sound than the FX40 and even bigger bass. It is the one I would go for EDM. They use carbon drivers meaning you gotta burn them in real good."

The last part about the burn in is regarding the FX40 which uses carbon nanotube, dont believe the FX3X uses them (might be wrong though).

They actually seem to be, got this picture from a Japanese blog. Carbon diaphragm = nanotubes?nvm, don't think so. Thanks for the reply, looks like it's the FX3X for me! :)

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #65 of 226
Quote:
They actually seem to be, got this picture from a Japanese blog. Carbon diaphragm = nanotubes?nvm, don't think so. Thanks for the reply, looks like it's the FX3X for me!
smily_headphones1.gif

I did some digging and it seems you do have to burn them in like the FX40's (due to carbon diaphragm). So Dsnuts quote above about burn in was about the FX3X (explains why he only put carbon instead of carbon nanotube). BTW Amazon has the FX3X for $30, thats a really good deal considering others payed $60+. 

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #67 of 226
Quote:
If anyone is on the fence because they think they may to too bright, the treble calms down tremendously with burn in. I have about 200 hours on them. I'm really liking these.

Truth, it feels like not alot of people are willing to give them the "correct" type of burn in and length to truly unlock the sound. Also different tips have an effect too (the memory foam being the best imo), can't wait til I find my MEE tips to see how they change them. 

I only have about 72hrs of burn in on mine, and they are less harsh than when I first listened to them. Still a ways to go though.

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #68 of 226
Tried some MEE M9 tips on them (the balanced sound and enhanced bass double flange tips) and feel the JVC tips are still the best. What are some other tips I should try on these?

Still burning them in. I listen to them during the day (at normal listening levels) and overnight burn them in with Drum N Bass at 80% of full volume.   

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #70 of 226
Truth, it feels like not alot of people are willing to give them the "correct" type of burn in and length to truly unlock the sound. Also different tips have an effect too (the memory foam being the best imo), can't wait til I find my MEE tips to see how they change them. 

I only have about 72hrs of burn in on mine, and they are less harsh than when I first listened to them. Still a ways to go though.

I actually miss the sparkle it had. Still sounds very good, but the sound has really changed. These are the IEM's to use to prove burn in changes sound.

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #71 of 226
Quote:
I actually miss the sparkle it had. Still sounds very good, but the sound has really changed. These are the IEM's to use to prove burn in changes sound.

I lost count of how many hours of burn in Ive had so far. But wow the bass has tightened up quite a bit (really noticeable). Today for the first time, I wore them for hours straight (even at a higher volume than Im use to). A feat I couldnt do before since the highs were still harsh (guess my ears are extremely sensitive to the treble and brightness),    

Can officially say I love these IEM's for their absolute bang for the buck. Would recommend if someone doesnt mind burning them in properly. 

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #73 of 226
You were right, its lost a lot of the sparkle. I like the way they sound now though, no more harshness and the bass has tightened up. 

Agree there is no way you can be upset at that pup.   

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #74 of 226
Hi guys, first of all just wanted to say thanks to this great forum that helped me learn all about IEM appreciation and helped me purchase my new FX40s! I've been lurking for a while, but I hope to be able to contribute to the forums with good questions/answers since I now own some fairly decent buds to speak about. However, since the FX40s haven't shipped yet, I just have some questions about burn in as a poor college student who wants to get it right the first time (I hope this is a good place to ask, I couldn't find any info in the burn in FAQ).

1. I know earlier that boost3d and others mentioned that Drum N Bass + pink/white/brown noise would be best to burn in the FX40s, but will music preferences matter and determine what I should use to burn with? For example, if I prefer classical music should I burn my device with more classical pieces?
  1. When people say X hours of burn in is required, does that mean that they have to be burned continuously or that you can burn them at night and listen during the day, and only count the night times as burn ins? So if I needed to burn these for about 200 hours, that would take about 20+ days only burning at night?
  1. As a general question, is there a reason why no one has ever really experimented on the effects of burn in? I assume one reason is the price required to run exhaustive experiments on a variety of headphones, but surely in all this time someone would have been curious enough and had the resources to do so. Maybe not that burn improves sound quality, but at least that it makes a difference.

Thank you in advance for your help - I did try looking around in multiple places for answers, but unfortunately there do not seem to be many on such intricate burn in topics (most are very general).

I hope to be able to contribute to the community when I find some time between school work have some information to draw conclusions. If people have questions for me, I have a background in classical music performance, so I can probably answer questions about how classical music will sound with these. Unfortunately I cannot make any comparisons as most of my previous earbuds are not worthy of mentioning.

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #75 of 226
Quote:
  1. I know earlier that boost3d and others mentioned that Drum N Bass + pink/white/brown noise would be best to burn in the FX40s, but will music preferences matter and determine what I should use to burn with? For example, if I prefer classical music should I burn my device with more classical pieces?
  1. When people say X hours of burn in is required, does that mean that they have to be burned continuously or that you can burn them at night and listen during the day, and only count the night times as burn ins? So if I needed to burn these for about 200 hours, that would take about 20+ days only burning at night?
  1. As a general question, is there a reason why no one has ever really experimented on the effects of burn in? I assume one reason is the price required to run exhaustive experiments on a variety of headphones, but surely in all this time someone would have been curious enough and had the resources to do so. Maybe not that burn improves sound quality, but at least that it makes a difference.

*Your musical preference is not important in what is used for burn-in me thinks, since the carbon nanotube material used on these FX40s are really stiff, they respond best with fast and heavy drum and bass tracks for burn-in. It seems to really give the drivers a good workout. But if you want to use those pink/white/brown noises along with the Drum N Bass tracks it should be no problem. Just beat these drivers down on high volumes as much as you can.

*Well burn-in doesn't necessarily have to be continuous since it's not a exact science nor is there a "proper" way to do it, but putting them through a long intense burn-in cycle seems to yield the best results. It just makes the entire process faster if you burn them in the entire night and if you want to use it during the day by all means do so, since to got these iems for listening to music not just burn-in. Just burn them in as much as you can and see if you can hear the changes since there is no magical number of burn-in hours is required, the general rule is just the longer, the more intense the better for CNT iems/ cans.

*I think people have done experiments with burn-in and that it varies from gear to gear. From my personal experience some gears change dramatically with burn-in while others have little to no changes so it all boils down to the tech involved. For CNT iems/ cans burn-in is a must since the carbon nanotubes used are stiff as hell and it needs a long and intense break in period to truly make them shine.

Hope this helps.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back