JVC HA-FX40 | Believe the hype!
Jun 2, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #181 of 226
These headphones are great so far. But the treble is harsh beyond what I expected. Can't wait to see if they burn in like so many say they will.

I was wondering, has anyone used these with a Sandisk Clip+? I'm concerned that the Clip might be contributing to the harsh treble. I know there's eq available (I rockboxed it) but I'm interested in the flat output from it. All files are FLAC.

Jun 2, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #182 of 226
I burned mine in with different burn in files 24/7 for a week. Sub bass on these is fantastic. The highs to my ears are not harsh but definitaley there...
Only thing i can pick on is i find a tad recessed in the mids. As in V shaped, extend well in both directions with a dip in the middle. These are a fun iem.

Jul 7, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #183 of 226
Damn.....I have 3 pairs of these now.....Black, Red & Blue. I love them at low volumes when going to bed at night...They fit wonderfully, easy on the ears.
I think someone else mentioned that when wearing these to make sure you have the thingy pointing down. I wear these over the ears with the standard tip they come with I think its Medium. Oh ye Burn in well also.

Jul 16, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #184 of 226
  Damn.....I have 3 pairs of these now.....Black, Red & Blue. I love them at low volumes when going to bed at night...They fit wonderfully, easy on the ears.
I think someone else mentioned that when wearing these to make sure you have the thingy pointing down. I wear these over the ears with the standard tip they come with I think its Medium. Oh ye Burn in well also.

I really like these as a "sleeping" IEM, too. These sound really good at low volumes and don't bother me when on my side. They are usually(90% of the time) still in the next morning.

Sep 12, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #185 of 226
Wooohhh. Loved the s500 from carbon nano tubes. Now i am onto these...lovely for the prices. I realize there are fake china products which was cheaply made for cheap. They are horrible. Buy from adorama online if you can.

Feb 18, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #190 of 226
Late to the party, but I just ordered a pair of these from Amazon and they should be here tomorrow. I own the HiFiMAN RE-400s, and while they are really great, they don't do so well with the electronic based music I've been listening to as of late. To fill this gap, I was eyeing the Yamaha EPH-100, JVC FXT90, and the AT IM50/70s. I wasn't willing to spend the money on the Yamahas, FXT90s, and IM70s and thought that the IM50s wouldn't be that much different than my RE-400s. I also wanted to avoid going down the VSD3/S Tenore/Basso route in fear of poor build quality. I really wanted the FXT90s but settled on what seems to be their little brother, the FX40s. I'm really interested to see what the carbon nanotube technology is all about. I'll probably write a review on them in a few weeks.

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #191 of 226
There are better sounding iems at this price range today.

I still use my pair of FX40,  BUT.... at low volumes.   At low volumes the treble is more controled and overall the sound is ok,  i use them for sleeping/bed.

To much volume and they go wild!

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #192 of 226
  There are better sounding iems at this price range today.

I still use my pair of FX40,  BUT.... at low volumes.   At low volumes the treble is more controled and overall the sound is ok,  i use them for sleeping/bed.

To much volume and they go wild!

I got mine for $15. I'm no longer a big fan of my SHE3590s. What would you recommend under $20? Pistons?

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #193 of 226
  I got mine for $15. I'm no longer a big fan of my SHE3590s. What would you recommend under $20? Pistons?

Pistons 2.0 for Sure!   Nice sounding iem.. Treble is better than the 3580.

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #194 of 226
Pistons 2.0 for Sure!   Nice sounding iem.. Treble is better than the 3580.

Gotcha. Though, I've got to say, my initial impressions of the FX40s are quite positive. The design is strange and I'm still working on achieving a perfect fit, and the treble can be quite splashy, but the bass is so tight and punchy. It's as if the SHE3590 and FX40s are opposite to where the bass of the former can make the presentation sound congested whereas the treble of the former can sound splashy and uncontrolled. I for one am not very sensitive to bright treble but I do wish that the upper frequencies on the FX40 were better controlled but for a $15 IEM I can't complain. If anything, these just make me want to try the higher end JVC IEMs. It seems as though their house sound suits my taste. I hope to have a full review of the FX40 in a few weeks.

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #195 of 226
Gotcha. Though, I've got to say, my initial impressions of the FX40s are quite positive. The design is strange and I'm still working on achieving a perfect fit, and the treble can be quite splashy, but the bass is so tight and punchy. It's as if the SHE3590 and FX40s are opposite to where the bass of the former can make the presentation sound congested whereas the treble of the former can sound splashy and uncontrolled. I for one am not very sensitive to bright treble but I do wish that the upper frequencies on the FX40 were better controlled but for a $15 IEM I can't complain. If anything, these just make me want to try the higher end JVC IEMs. It seems as though their house sound suits my taste. I hope to have a full review of the FX40 in a few weeks.

You can expect a "thicker" sound with the Pistons and less treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back