JVC HA-FX40 | Believe the hype!
Feb 28, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #168 of 226
Has anyone here tried removing the filter from the FX40 and see how it effects the sound? Asking since I was reading through the Pistons thread and it was mentioned it helped those IEMs. 

Ive been using the MEE biflange tips on my FX40 since it brings the mids a bit more forward. 

Feb 28, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #169 of 226
  Has anyone here tried removing the filter from the FX40 and see how it effects the sound? Asking since I was reading through the Pistons thread and it was mentioned it helped those IEMs. 

Ive been using the MEE biflange tips on my FX40 since it brings the mids a bit more forward. 

Doubt it. Most seem to be burning their FX40 in for a couple of hundred hours to tame the treble so chance making them brighter by taking the filter out is not something I have heard. Piston's makes more sense since it is bassy and some even have fakes that lack treble.

Mar 11, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #171 of 226
So I bought some of these, not knowing what they were almost 4 years ago - and ONLY because it said "Carbon Nano-Tubes" on the package. 

After reading all the hype, I have to say I'm not all that impressed, personally.  I have literally traveled round the world with these because they weigh nothing, and sound decent.  However, I recently understood why I don't fancy these all that much: There is fine bass for me, and lost of treble sound way up into the way high, but nothing in the middle - like they forgot about that part that day. Perhaps it's the EQ on my phone that sounds terrible. 

I don't spend a lot of time with these, as I prefer full-size.  However, no matter what the source, I still feel there is a lack of middle sonic information.  Reminds me of lissening to tape through one of those portable players with the two-way 6" and tweet. 

Of course, I could be totally wrong. 

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #172 of 226
Jvc ha-fx40 is a good iem if you like to give yourself a headache. The sibilance and harshness of the highs on these are unbearable IMHO.

Buy yourself a pair of monoprice 9927s on eBay for 9 bucks and use the money you saved to get yourself a extra value meal from McDonald's.

I'm trying to be optimistic with the burn in process but unless these things chang tremendously I will have to consider the amount of money spent on electricity keeping sound pushing through these things. If they don't change I'll be pretty bummed. I'll edit this post after 100 hours of James Blake's "limit to your love" plays on repeat. Burning these in is "like a waterfall in slow motion", there is definitely a "limit to my love" for these shrill monsters.

EDITED: Two days of blasting them relentlessly with drum and bass and pink noise through my e18 portable amp, and they have definitely calmed down in the sibilance department. They are now pleasant to listen to. V shaped and plenty of bass. Still bright, but enjoyable and detailed. I stand corrected, and look forward to blasting them another 48 hours to see what a little more burn in will do. I see why people like these now. Just don't bother trying to listen to them out of the box lol.

Mar 13, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #173 of 226
Burn burn burn. They will mellow out. There are other good IEMs around this price too. But the JVCs do sound really good after 100-200 hours of burn in. They are definitely have V shaped sound, so keep that in mind. I love mine as my bedtime pillow IEMs. They stay put all night, are low profile and sound really good at low volume.

Mar 13, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #174 of 226
If you like these things for their low profile and sq at low volumes, I have one for you. Try the sony mdr-ex58v. They are PERFECT for what you describe. You can cop them on eBay for 10-15 shipped, and they won't disappoint sq wise. V-shaped signature. Super low profile, snug, and have a handy little volume dial on the cord.

Apr 15, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #175 of 226
After putting these aside due to harsh treble, I tried them again today. I was giving them some more burn in, then I looked at the phones and thought I was wearing them wrong. The extended part was facing upwards all the time I wore them, instead now I tried it facing down.

Voila

Day and night difference.

The harsh highs have gone as the fit is a lot better now, bass is better, punchier, mids are clearer.

Anybody complaining about the sound, make sure you insert these things the right way.

Apr 21, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #177 of 226
Is there a version of these that have ipod controls? I'm looking for something other than my Monoprice 8320's but I want controls for when I'm doing yard work.
I would suggest soundmagic e10m. The controls are made for Apple and they sound great, IMHO much better than the ha-fx40. More neutral sound but still bass heavy. Less harsh on the high end also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back